Brake Light Stays Activated

Hey All,

So as of recent, I've had an intermittent problem with the brake light being actuated as soon as I key the ignition to on. Sometimes the brake will stay on for miles on end. The only reason I began noticing this is because I have a MotoDynamic tail installed, which flashes 3 times when activated. So it stuck out to me as soon as I key the ignition. Today, I decided to take a look a little deeper into the matter. I hooked up my oem tail, and it had the same results. So I knew I could immediately rule that out of the equation. Next step, I started to check out the rear brake assembly. I pressed it down several times, and was able to replicate the issue. I then started messing with the rubber boot above the foot assembly, and upon wiggling it a few times, the brake actuation turned off. Pressed down again a few times, replicated, brake light on. Wiggled, brake light off. Needless to say, I think I isolated the issue down to whatever sensor is inside the rubber boot. I am having new tires installed on the bike at the dealership this week, and will have them look at this issue and attempt to have them warranty it out. I will report back on their findings. The picture below depicts the area in question. The rubber boot/sensor I believe is faulty is pointed out in the picture below. Anyone have any input on this?

pDIe6r0.jpg

• Premium Member
is there any adjustment in the switch? Many of them have an adjuster so you can have a little free play so that minor movements of the brake lever do not trigger the light switch.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I have had issues with the brake light staying on longer far than it should. I put it down to me being the problem and when the bike was in for a service I asked them to adjust the brake lever for me - thinking I might have been riding the lever. In some cases it was on when I knew I had not used the brake at all.

They came back and told me the switch was sticking.

Interesting you seem to have a similar problem, I'll need to make sure mine is still OK, otherwise I'll have to get the dealer to look closer into why it is not operating properly.

• Premium Member
just washed my bike - quick, someone get @johan a brandy - I could see the brake light switch free play is simple to adjust using an open ended spanner, 10mm probably- release the lock nut, twist the bolt until the switch is only actuated when the lever is given a good prod. Then tighten the lock nut.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I needed an excuse to stand on the drive to admire some scenery working on a neighbour's porch. Couldn't see him from the lounge window...

***UPDATE***

Swung by the dealership today. The service manager came out and said there is a small "plunger" inside the dust boot, and it was getting stuck. A few quick hits of silicone spray, and I was back in business. No adjustment or anything else needed, just a few sprays of silicone and wabamm! I presume riding on dirt a few weeks ago may have been the culprit here, trapping dirt and grime inside the boot.

Sidenote: Might be beneficial to anyone reading this to just go outside real quick and do this on their own and prevent it from happening in the first place.

• Premium Member
***UPDATE*** 
Swung by the dealership today. The service manager came out and said there is a small "plunger" inside the dust boot, and it was getting stuck. A few quick hits of silicone spray, and I was back in business. No adjustment or anything else needed, just a few sprays of silicone and wabamm! I presume riding on dirt a few weeks ago may have been the culprit here, trapping dirt and grime inside the boot.

Sidenote: Might be beneficial to anyone reading this to just go outside real quick and do this on their own and prevent it from happening in the first place.
and another reason not to use a pressure washer, which may force dirt inside the boot

• 3 weeks later...
***UPDATE*** 

Thanks for this I had this exact same problem and sprayed the plunger and all good.  It is a pretty flimsy little switch.  Here is the Yamaha PN just for reference 1RC-82530-00

-Steve

I had the same problem about the brake sight staying on.  A quick look by the mechanic when the bike was in for servicing resulted in his finding a small tab on the brake spring that was hanging up keeping the light on.  He bent the tab and the problem disappeared.

Archived