Bike security: Do you use a disc lock?

That is the (rear) sprocket...It was also the name of my black Labrador dog :)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I prefer using a little "U" lock on the "chain gear" (sorry, i don't know the correct word to identify the rear transmission gear) because a disk lock on the front disk is easily removed disengaging the disk from the wheel, they will remove it later in a safe place but in this way the wheel is free to go. 
I'm using this:
998457_608.jpg
First I wonder about the grease and grime that must get on the shackle, and then on you when you are handling the lock. Second, what model do you use?

• Premium Member
I have a Xena. Love it. Keeps the bike from getting moved more than a few inches, but won't stop someone from picking up the bike and throwing it in the back of a van/truck.
http://smile.amazon.com/Xena-Intelligent-Security-STAINLESS-XX-14/dp/B0036GNSGS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I also bought this and it has saved me a few times from just hoping on the bike and going BAM. It's worth the $6.
http://smile.amazon.com/Trimax-TSC612-Safety-Reminder-length/dp/B000W0OHY8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
I read an article about motorcycle theft a while back, and the conclusion was that if it is a professional thief that wants your bike, they will take it. If it is an amateur, or crime of opportunity, locks and alarms can scare them away. Just take a quick look on youtube to see how easy it is to break your steering column lock and walk off with your bike

If you are at home, park it in a secure garage
If you don't have a garage, put a cover over it, so it's not obvious it is a motorcycle
Chain the bike frame to concrete, or structure, if possible
And most important of all, buy insurance so you are covered if someone does steal your bike!

• Premium Member
Here is the way I work it.

When at home it's in the garage. When riding locally (lunch or whatever) I park it in what I consider "safe places" with the handlebars locked.

When on the road traveling. I try to stay at a hotel that will let me park under the overhang. Hampton Inn's are very good about this. I have NEVER had a problem with them after many years of doing it. If I'm staying at a smaller or "mom & pop" motel I ask for a room that will allow me to park right outside the door or window. Lock the handlebars, I run a kryptonite cable through the wheel and up over the seat throw the half cover over it and go drinking or to bed, whichever is appropriate.

You're just trying to slow the amateurs down. The Pro's had it all along....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I bought an Abus Granite. Top of the line. Cut the under seat tray and it fits perfectly under the latch area. Use it when I'm out and about and have to leave the bike for extended periods of time. I want to get a second for the rear as well. If I had to park outside at home, yeah a big hardened chain and locked cover would be my added choice.

I use this one on the front disk, approved by a UK security checking company called Thatcham
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/55947

I was looking for a chain for travelling but was put off by the weight of decent ones. And then I read a very simple article from an ex bike thief who said that unless you buy one of the very top end chains, they're easily cut by long bolt croppers and don't bother. His top tips were
- use a bike cover
- don't park it in the same place every day
- park in a high foot fall area, like outside a busy hotel entrance or shopping area
- use a disk lock front and back, or two people simply lift the front wheel and wheel your bike to somewhere quieter to work on it

So I bought this one for the rear disc as it has a 6mm pin
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/275946

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

At home, I just put it in the garage.
At work, I park in a rented spot in back of a house about a 12minute walk from work.  On my walk I pass by several houses that appear to be full of people (like a dozen or more people in them at all times of day), often drinking alcohol even at 7am.  They look like the stereotypical trash that just sits around collecting welfare.

When I had my 2003 Kawasaki KLR, I only ever used the built in steering lock.

When I got the FJ-09, I didn't at first use anything either, but one day I walked to my parking spot the FJ had scratches on the steering head around and on the ignition, and the ignition cover was damaged. 
It wasn't punched, and wasn't broken, but someone had been fiddling with it.

I then ordered several items.

- Nelson Rigg deluxe cover  (Wish I got XXL as the XL doesn't fit well with my top box and side luggage)
- Kryptonite R2 retractable lock (for the cover)
- Kryptonite Keeper 5 S2 (front disc. Cheap, more for deterrent - Didn't want a sonic alarm as if it went off repeatedly I wouldn't know about it and I'd get locals angry)
- Kryptonite New York Noose & Evolution 4 lock  (Wish I got the longer one.  I wrap this around a metal fence post and lock it to a frame piece of the bike)
- Kryptonite cable lock (An old one I had from way back, circa 2005.  I put this through the frame and rear wheel)  They don't make this anymroe, but a similar item is THIS

I've probably gone a bit overboard, but it lets me sit at work and not worry.  I know full well that if they want it bad enough, They WILL get it...  But I feel like if they had a choice between my FJ09 with 4 locks and a cover, or the Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Racing Team Edition, with no locks on it that parks a couple minutes away from me, they will take the Ninja, even if it is out in an open lot.

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

Archived