Bike security: Do you use a disc lock?

I'm about to embark on a journey from Minneapolis, MN to Corning, CA.  I typically keep my bike in my garage, unless I'm riding it, but I won't have that option, and, I have no idea what the theft danger is in Corning, CA.

So, I'm thinking I need some theft protection of some sort.  I'm thinking that a front disc lock that has a movement triggered screamer is the answer.

Does anyone else use one of these?  Or a better suggestion?  I don't think the airbnb I'll be staying at offers a garage, so that's not an option.

What should I do for theft protection on my journey?

• Premium Member
I use a disk lock, but removed the screamer unit for the time being. (goes off every time a diesel pickup goes by)

I would also recommend putting it on the rear disk as the fender up front will
crack if the disk hits it in a "forgot it was there scenario".

(I have a tether from mine up to the mirror so I don't forget about it.

4478937.jpg

4478953.jpg

A Spot trace is always an idea too.
SPOT_Trace_Video_image.jpg

• Premium Member
Pick something from the Xena range - I have used one for years and @johan has one now.

Some of them have the UK Sold Secure Gold standard which is a government backed security standard. Widely available on Amazon.

I place mine on the front disk. Place the disk as close to the caliper as possible so that the wheel cannot rotate. This will prevent any damage if you do pull away with the lock in place. This should only happen on the rare occasion the battery is flat as the alarm will sound.

As the device is Sold Secure approved, my insurer recognises is as a tertiary security device (in addition to the Yamaha immobiliser and Datatag we get in the UK)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Here in Oz I travel extensively, mostly staying in budget 3 - 4 star motels, which most often are single-storey buildings. I always try to get a room located so that overnight I can park the bike immediately outside my room, or as close to as possible, figuring that I'd be likely to hear any unusual sounds of midnight feet scuffling, tampering, whatever.
It's worth scouting round a bit in the car-park before checking-in so you can ask for the most secure-looking location. And when away from home (but never otherwise) I always use a  'sonic' disc lock, but touch wood it has never gone off!
[em]Wordsmith[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

For years I used both a long shanked padlock through the disc, and a disc lock.
I no longer use a padlock after learning how easily they are picked.

Currently use an "Abus" disc lock with a yellow reminder cable and velcro loops up to the handlebars.
I put it on the rear wheel.

I prefer without screamer after one went off in my bag during a trip to the superbikes at Phillip Island.
Once I got to it, it was hurled.

• Premium Member
Putting as close to the calliper up front is all good, till you roll the bike backwards forgetting it's there (bang) fender cracked! lol
I've done this... either way I highly recommend a tether to the bars so you know it's still installed.

Having made the fatal mistake once, when I now use a disc lock, I put my bike keys in the lock pouch.

Serves as a perfect reminder

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Lost my disc lock key today. I got off the train, back to the bike...and it was an "oh shit" moment. Fortunately someone had found it and handed in at the counter!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Disk lock--sure. Be sure to use tether to know it's there. A full cover is your absolute best protection. Thieves don't want what they cannot see. Also adds time and "what's under there that might eat me" mindset. Nothing is 100%, but some police friends say cover is best deterrent. Oh, and insurance with as low a deductible as you can afford. Have a safe trip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
+1 on the bike cover. First line of defense against the opportunistic thief. The prepared and determined ones are going to succeed against all except extreme measures.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member
Wow, I typically only ride for sport, and don't leave my bike alone for more than a few minutes to get a drink or something to eat. But after hearing all this good advice, I think I will go out and buy cheap cover and a disk lock with a reminder cable.

If you are parking among a bunch of other bikes, then a front disc lock with screamer and tether to the throttle will a) remind you it is there, b) make it obvious to others it is there.

If you are going places you are not familiar with or which have poor safety reputations then a disc lock is a waste of time. You will need a chain or cable through the back wheel, the frame and either around something solid or around the saddle. Make sure the lock can not be placed on the ground and that there is no slack in the chain. A cover will help deter the curious but more then three nights in the same place and if they want it, it is theirs. If you look on google, you can find plenty of interviews with bike thieves that can help you work out how they think and what turns them off.

I prefer using a little "U" lock on the "chain gear" (sorry, i don't know the correct word to identify the rear transmission gear) because a disk lock on the front disk is easily removed disengaging the disk from the wheel, they will remove it later in a safe place but in this way the wheel is free to go.

I'm using this:
998457_608.jpg

Archived