GA rider.. Lane Splitting/Filtering

duhs10

• Premium Member
On 6/7/2016 at 9:27 PM, deepskier said:

I am in ATL and will split lanes if traffic is stopped and then I rarely go more than 10mph. Very rarely will someone honk.

Same here.  I don't do it if traffic is above 30 or so, but anything less than that and I'm filtering through anytime I'm on the interstate.  I used to not do it and would seethe sitting in traffic knowing the lucky ones in CA could.  Then I took a week long ride in CA with a few buddies (one lives in SJ and met us for the ride - he's actually in my profile pic here) and did it all week long there following his lead the first couple of days.  I became very comfortable with it then and I brought it home like a new religion.

I live in a very congested area of I-75 south of Atlanta so I get semi-regular practice anytime I'm headed north towards Atlanta.

Edited by Chris Pope
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 years later...

I was in Paris a few weeks ago, and we came into the city on the Periphery freeway at rush hour, in heavy rain.  I have never seen filtering as practiced there! Holy crap; endless scooters and motorcycles just ripping between the lanes of traffic in terrible conditions. Huge speed delta between the riders and the cars/trucks/buses. Quite honestly scared the daylights out of me, and I was sitting high and dry and safe in a bus. I absolutely believe splitting can be done in a way that enhances rider safety rather than threatens it, but it sure didn't look like it in that instance. I would hate to be driving a car in that situation and be constantly worrying that if I move a little bit left or right in my lane that a rider might end up eating my mirror.  Glad I wasn't in a rental.

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, Forevertwowheels said:

Serious question:  can you lane split on a Niken?  Are they wider overall than a standard Tracer?

I haven't done it, but can't see a reason it would be any different than on a Tracer.    The limiting factor for me has always been the width of the handlebars...  those typically fall near exterior mirror height for automotive traffic, so that's the 'pinch point' you have to allow for.    Based on what I've seen, the bars and/or mirrors on the Niken are the widest part of the bike:

NIKEN_front.jpg.4f5d584417f1b123f4ecfca66b3ee86e.jpg

That said, your mind plays some very interesting visual tricks when you're lane-splitting.   The wide fairing and the 'heft' of that front end may make it feel very uncomfortable for you, even if you still have adequate clearances.   Just removing the hand guards from my FJ made it feel much lighter and narrower to me, even though the actually difference was only a few inches. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, Forevertwowheels said:

Serious question:  can you lane split on a Niken?  Are they wider overall than a standard Tracer?

The bars are the widest part, the extra weight up front can make lane filtering a little more work than a Tracer.

This video covers it pretty well.....

Niken Lane Filtering