A question about Drive Mode (D-Mode).

joeszup

• Premium Member
The manual states that you should never change this mode while the bike is in motion and that the throttle has to be closed.  Anyone know the reason for this?  Is this mechanical or safety?  I've found that B-Mode is really nice in stop/go traffic, so it would be great to sit in B-Mode until out of traffic then switch over to A/STD once highway speeds pick up.

For whatever reason, you can only change the mode with the throttle shut. You don't have to stop, it doesn't have to be in neutral, but the throttle has to be closed. Nothing we can do about that.
john

The manual states that you should never change this mode while the bike is in motion and that the throttle has to be closed.  Anyone know the reason for this?  Is this mechanical or safety?  I've found that B-Mode is really nice in stop/go traffic, so it would be great to sit in B-Mode until out of traffic then switch over to A/STD once highway speeds pick up.
I do exactly as you suggest all the time. You can do it at any speed without consequence as long as you close the throttle.  

Wait, so if I'm "on the throttle" and hit the switch, nothing happens? I actually haven't tried that yet.

Correct. When I'm out riding and I want to change, I just clutch-in to coast for a second or two and change the mode with the throttle closed. Easy as that. 

Wait, so if I'm "on the throttle" and hit the switch, nothing happens? I actually haven't tried that yet.
Correct. When I'm out riding and I want to change, I just clutch-in to coast for a second or two and change the mode with the throttle closed. Easy as that. 
It's not necessary to pull the clutch in. Clutch has nothing to do with it, FYI.  

It's not necessary to pull the clutch in. Clutch has nothing to do with it, FYI.
Not necessary, but the clutch allows the bike to coast instead of engine braking.  Makes it much smoother.  For this reason, I usually clutch in when I change modes.

• Premium Member
Not necessary, but the clutch allows the bike to coast instead of engine braking.  Makes it much smoother.  For this reason, I usually clutch in when I change modes.
I do exactly the same thing (pull the clutch in) for the same reason.

• Premium Member
I do exactly the same thing (pull the clutch in) for the same reason.
I tried this yesterday on the way home.  Smooth, with a capital "SMOO".  I like it :)

Archived