sales ranking of the FJ/ MT-09...

I see several mentions here that folks are still buying brand-new 2015 build-date Tracers. Nothing wrong in that as my own (second) Tracer bought some ten weeks ago is a 2015 model.

But it does pose the question – why are these bikes still around? I guess one answer might be that that too many were imported, but a question I’m more interested in is the relative popularity of our FJ/ MT-09 in various markets. Here in Oz, over the past 16 months or so I have seen only one on the road – and even that event was by prior arrangement to meet up with [em]suncoaster[/em]!

I recall reading some time ago that the model was ranked #2 or #3 in sales volume in Europe (behind BMW’s invincible GS, and another bike), but has that changed?
What is the market-place ranking of FJ/ MT-09s in the USA, for example?

I don’t mind being in a minority, but it puzzles me a bit. The bike offers such outstanding value-for-money, even with all its warts, that I’d have thought they would walk out the door.

Any comments on this?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
A year ago the Tracer was at the top of the sales list in the UK for over 125cc (a scooter tops the overall 2 wheeler list). Recent figures I saw on another forum put the BMW S1000XR at the top for this year.

I don't think there were any unsold Tracers in the UK - certainly none in the 2 dealers local to me. I was in my local dealer last weekend and there is just 1 2016 model in stock, with the sump mod.

But, like you, I don't see many on the road but we had a big turnout at the May Bank Holiday meet near Oxford.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

first year bike. many will avoid a non-tested vehicle like the plague. Me, I like to take chances ;)
My thinking is because the FZ-09 so fast that the "ST" FJ-09 model would do the same so they made & imported a lot of them. Doesn't appear to be the case so there are still many 2015's hanging around in Dealers. As mentioned we just bought a new 2015 on May 21st. 

• Premium Member
There have been lots of left over bikes around here since they stopped financing anyone who walked through the door back around 2008. I've even seen some that were from 2 model years back that eventually end up on ebay, sport touring and adventure bikes both Jap and European. 
And I doubt that its from being overstocked because you rarely see more than one of any perticular model in the showroom at a time if any.

Most all the Yamaha dealers around me have fj's in stock but I have no idea how they can sell them because the salesmen no absolutely nothing about the fj's and they really don't seem to care if you buy one or not. 

This may be because their to busy selling all these big overpriced utv's that you can jam the whole family into. They probably sell 10 of them for every motorcycle they sell these days. I'm also seeing alot more of the spiders and slingshots running around here as well as the big trike conversions.

I actually bought my fj used with 1,700 miles on it from a Victory Polaris dealer in South Carolina where some guy supposedly traded it in on a new slingshot so go figure that one out.

BLB

... I have no idea how they can sell them because the salesmen no absolutely nothing about the fj's and they really don't seem to care if you buy one or not... 

I definitely agree with that.. I had done a lot of research before deciding on a FJ-09 and found myself telling the salesman about the bike rather than the other way around.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived