Bar buzz like a bi***, Solutions?

I tried some grip puppies on my FJ. Although in a straight line there is slightly less vibration, after about 500 miles I"ve taken them back off. Besides not liking how big the diameter is (I have short fingers I guess) for some reason esp when hard braking they actually put my right thumb to sleep much quicker than stock.

In terms of vibration, my bike is actually what I would consider pretty smooth except 4 - 5.2 k. And the pegs are actually more buzzy than the handlebars anyway.

For now I am trying some tennis racket handle wrap, the main problem which is it is not waterproof.

I am keeping an eye on the vibranator discussion though as I plan to eventually go to the ktm or s10 handguards to get better weather protection and I am concerned that I'll get more bar vibration without all that oem stuff clamped to the bar.

I run alot of power tools and like folks have said it is as much as the type of vibration (freq mostly) that can bother different individuals differently.  For example my r1100rt is not what you would call smooth, but it is a lower freq kind of vibration that I mostly don't think about. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I tried some grip puppies on my FJ. Although in a straight line there is slightly less vibration, after about 500 miles I"ve taken them back off. Besides not liking how big the diameter is (I have short fingers I guess) for some reason esp when hard braking they actually put my right thumb to sleep much quicker than stock. 
In terms of vibration, my bike is actually what I would consider pretty smooth except 4 - 5.2 k. And the pegs are actually more buzzy than the handlebars anyway.

For now I am trying some tennis racket handle wrap, the main problem which is it is not waterproof.

I am keeping an eye on the vibranator discussion though as I plan to eventually go to the ktm or s10 handguards to get better weather protection and I am concerned that I'll get more bar vibration without all that oem stuff clamped to the bar.

I run alot of power tools and like folks have said it is as much as the type of vibration (freq mostly) that can bother different individuals differently.  For example my r1100rt is not what you would call smooth, but it is a lower freq kind of vibration that I mostly don't think about. 

I hate buzzy bars, and like you was bothered by the 4.5-5.2K buzz. I also don't like the stock bars, and prefer a bit more sweep. I ordered the Renthal Fat Bar City Street Naked, and a set of Vibranators to fit them. The Vibranators came with a tap for the bars, and after tapping them, the installation was a breeze. I also run the KTM hand Gards, and they fit perfectly. Just completed a 2000 mile trip out to Montrose, CO from Oklahoma City, and the mods are here to stay. Dramatic relief! I also use the Progrip 714 BK grips, and I think they help also. All of the above is higly recommended....and don't get me started about how great the Madstad shield is....no comparison!! 

Vibranators also made a dramatic improvement in reducing handle bar vibration. I did notice that the hand levers still vibrate and keeping my fingers off the brake and clutch levers seemed to make the hand grips feel close to vibration free. What little vibration that gets through does seem to vary with RPM and does not bother my hands at all. Well worth it for me.

So, if I am following this correctly, it sounds like the Vibranators will work with the handguards and without having to do any modifications?

I think the creators might have been better off coming up with a different name. I was going to check them out on my computer at work, but decided going to a website called Vibranator could be a career limiting move. I can still look forward to getting a long Vibranator box delivered to my house...

• Premium Member
So, if I am following this correctly, it sounds like the Vibranators will work with the handguards and without having to do any modifications? 
I think the creators might have been better off coming up with a different name. I was going to check them out on my computer at work, but decided going to a website called Vibranator could be a career limiting move. I can still look forward to getting a long Vibranator box delivered to my house...
To be specific (don't know who your reply was aimed at 'cause you didn't click the "quote" button on the top right of the post) the Vibranators do work well with the Renthal Street Naked Fatbars with KTM hand guards. Don't know about the stock hand guard-vibranator combo. 

Vibranators are designed to allow use of stock hand guards. You do need a 12 mm allen wrench to remove the stock "threaded insert", a 5 and 3 mm allen wrench to remove bolts holding hand guards on, and 8 or 10 mm open wrench and non-permanent lock tight to tighten the tuning weight to the threaded stud.

I had an acquaintance give me some old bar-ends from an unknown motorcycle so I decided to fit them to the FJ.

On the right is the stock (virtually weightless) bar-end, the middle is the (too big) heavy bar-end, and on the left is the heavy bar-end after machining it down to fit into the hand guards.

20160812_212611_zpsmtzmo8v6.jpg

The heavy bar-ends installed:

20160813_145304_zpsbdrox3lf.jpg

20160812_212736_zpsky2kqrhr.jpg

Hopefully will be able to ride tomorrow to see if they make any difference in perceived vibration.

Update: 174 pretty hard miles Sunday and I'm pleased with the heavier bar-ends. My butt-dyno says they reduce vibes by maybe 15%. That's not much, but they take the vibrations down just enough that my right hand no longer hurts to the point that I have to 'shake it out'. Considering they were free, it's a win.

Keep Asheville weird!

• 2 weeks later...
After a few rides with the Vibranators, I no longer feel vibration unless I actually start thinking about it. It may be possible to use the Vibranators with the heavier bar weights, but you may need a longer screw. The Vibranators do come with their own bar end weight that replaces the stock one.

My guess is Vibranators reduce vibration by 80 to 90 %.  I have tried a lot of vibration reducing techniques on different bikes over the years, Vibranators work best.

Maybe you could combine Vibranators, Rox rubber mounted risers, heavier bar ends, and Grip Puppies.  I do have my hand grips wrapped in foam tape and tennis racket grip tape over that.  Something I have been doing for a few decades.

• 4 weeks later...
OK gentlemen. I received my vibrantators. I am installing with the OEM hand guards. The bolt length I received is 90 mm. This isn't even long enough to assemble the weight, spacer, friction sleeve and nut, much less the tuned mass damper. The bolt in the install photos above appears to be considerably longer. Did anyone else measure at installation. I have sent an email to Don at Vibranator with a photo (attached - hopefully) I will keep you posted. Looking forward to reduced vibrations.

image.jpg

Archived