Please advise on FJ-09

Hi Fj-09 folks.
I'd like to hear from the FJ owners what they have to say. I know that bike is a personal preference, but maybe some can influence on my decision.

I ride for 16 years and had bunch of different bikes. Currently I own a 2006 FZ6 which I bought 2.5 years ago at 6k miles. Now it is at 38k+, and at this point I decided that it is time to move on to something newer and more fun.
I rode many brands of bikes, but some I didn't like, and the cost of others can't be justified (by me).
There are many good bikes out there, but they are mostly for 1-up and not too comfy for LD.
I don't want to have more than 1 bike (different reasons), so I need to have one which will come close to my riding preference.

So here is the criteria:

1 Commute
2 Weekend rides (2up or 1)
3 Long distance 2 up/luggage
4 Nimble
5 Not too heavy (in vicinity of 480 lb)
6 Good for 5'6 tall
7 Above average fun factor

I don't want the heavy tourers like FJR or Concourse... neither the elephants as Versys1000 or Vstrom1000 or STen and such. These are good for LD, but not so much for anything else from the above list.
In that category the FJ wins. The Triumph Xr can come close, but trailing in fun factor and (I think) the size/weight.
But how is the FJ for 2-up multi-days touring? I'm fine if I'll need to replace/upgrade the seats, but I heard that the FJ frame is kind of weak for it? Is that right?

So, what is your overall experience and thoughts on the bike? Will it click all the boxes up there? (and I have some reservations about #6). Yes I set on it and even test-rode it. Still feels kind of undecided, but have not much to choose from, (out of the sea of bike out there)…

Thanks.

BTW, I saw the police in Cannes (France) riding FJ-09 (MT-09 Tracer) 
:)

I'm very happy with the FJ, but from your criteria the Triumph XRX Low may be a better fit.

IMO the Tiger XRX is a better touring bike (especially 2 up), has standard cruise control and a much better seat, and the Low model can get you a seat height of 30".

If you have a Triumph dealer nearby you should give it a try...

Hi Fj-09 folks.
I'd like to hear from the FJ owners what they have to say. I know that bike is a personal preference, but maybe some can influence on my decision.

I ride for 16 years and had bunch of different bikes. Currently I own a 2006 FZ6 which I bought 2.5 years ago at 6k miles. Now it is at 38k+, and at this point I decided that it is time to move on to something newer and more fun.
I rode many brands of bikes, but some I didn't like, and the cost of others can't be justified (by me).
There are many good bikes out there, but they are mostly for 1-up and not too comfy for LD.
I don't want to have more than 1 bike (different reasons), so I need to have one which will come close to my riding preference.

So here is the criteria:

1 Commute
2 Weekend rides (2up or 1)
3 Long distance 2 up/luggage
4 Nimble
5 Not too heavy (in vicinity of 480 lb)
6 Good for 5'6 tall
7 Above average fun factor

I don't want the heavy tourers like FJR or Concourse... neither the elephants as Versys1000 or Vstrom1000 or STen and such. These are good for LD, but not so much for anything else from the above list.
In that category the FJ wins. The Triumph Xr can come close, but trailing in fun factor and (I think) the size/weight.
But how is the FJ for 2-up multi-days touring? I'm fine if I'll need to replace/upgrade the seats, but I heard that the FJ frame is kind of weak for it? Is that right?

So, what is your overall experience and thoughts on the bike? Will it click all the boxes up there? (and I have some reservations about #6). Yes I set on it and even test-rode it. Still feels kind of undecided, but have not much to choose from, (out of the sea of bike out there)…

Thanks.

BTW, I saw police in Cannes (France) riding FJ09
:)

From my biased opinion, it's not, lol!

The FJ and XRX are both considered sport / tourers, the FJ is more sport and the XRX is more tourer. But if you need the lower seat height, more comfort for 2 and better on longer trips it may be just what you need. The Tigers do tend to run a bit hotter than the FJ, but besides that it's a heck of a bike...

Thanks iva. I'll give Triumph a try, although I won't expect it to be as lively as the FJ.

You're biggest problem may be getting a shock and spring rate that will work good solo and two up with luggage weight. Some guys do it, but I have to wonder how light you are solo. I have not read any reports the frame is weak, and certainly does not feel too weak for my 270 lbs, street riding.

Seems like the biggest mistake guys make with the FJ 09 is overload it, weight too far back, try to cruise at triple digit speeds and then complain of headshake.

The only bikes tempting me right now are at least twice the price and are either sporting Ducati or BMW badges. That's probably what is going to get me to move on from my FJ but it will likely be a couple years. I can tell you I commonly go way over the suggested weight. I always ride with an abundance of caution when overloaded because the bike handles differently with a lot of weight and I'm not as used to it. This is of course expected as any bike will handle differently when loaded past max capacity. I have never felt unsafe though and feel it is easier to handle loaded up that a full dressed touring bike.

We recently rented an F700GS on a trip to Europe. Our weight 2up is about 300 lb plus luggage about 70-80 lbs. That bike performed well in the mountains, but on a highways it couldn't keep up with most cars. It's an OK bike, but not for permanent ownership in my book.
I test-rode the XR and felt in love with it sportiness and engine just can't justify its price. Loved the comfort of R12R but not sure about having a boxer, and Yamaha is a better handler. Super Ten is a comfortable one (a bit short gearing) and too tall/bulky for my frame. So I'm being pulled back to the FJ or XRx.

Did you find the XR buzzy when you rode it? That's one of the main complaints I hear about it, well that and the price, lol! BTW, if you were able to ride the XR with no problem you should be good on either the FJ or standard XRX, the XR is a pretty tall bike.

I also really liked the new R12R, but it would have been around 2X the price of the FJ and I expect the FJ would be more reliable and much less expensive to maintain...

We recently rented an F700GS on a trip to Europe. Our weight 2up is about 300 lb plus luggage about 70-80 lbs. That bike performed well in the mountains, but on a highways it couldn't keep up with most cars. It's an OK bike, but not for permanent ownership in my book. I test-rode the XR and felt in love with it sportiness and engine just can't justify its price. Loved the comfort of R12R but not sure about having a boxer, and Yamaha is a better handler. Super Ten is a comfortable one (a bit short gearing) and too tall/bulky for my frame. So I'm being pulled back to the FJ or XRx.

I didn't feel much of a buzziness on the XR. No more than my FZ6 or any other bike. Maybe they did something to it, dono. I was on my tiptoes but it wouldn't be comfortable or effortless it had to mount it off an uneven road, or stopping on a camber.
A dealer had a new lowered one in the cradle, but for 22k+... neah. R12R is $15+ and I can flat-foot it, but still not cheap and I'm not sure if I like the sticking out cylinders.
FJ and XRx with a low seat would be ok for me.

• Premium Member
Based on your requirements, I would say the FJ-09 is not ideal. It will handle the fun solo riding for you, but imo loading it up and touring with a passenger is not it's forte

It is a great bike for twists, touring solo with somewhat luggage, but adding a passenger, additional luggage, etc is probably pushing it's limit.

Based on your requirements, I would say the FJ-09 is not ideal. It will handle the fun solo riding for you, but imo loading it up and touring with a passenger is not it's forte 
It is a great bike for twists, touring solo with somewhat luggage, but adding a passenger, additional luggage, etc is probably pushing it's limit.
Agree with a lot of the comments for far, my passenger finds the FJ-09 pillion seat and pegs more sport than tourer (too cramped). We find it capable of 1-2 hour jaunts, but that's likely not what you call LD. 
Also agree that the Trumpet, with only 95HP, is left lacking when compared performance-wise to the FJ-09 (115HP).

At 6ft I still find the FJ-09 a physically large bike to maneuver, even with the seat set low. If you didn't need that LD with luggage capability, with your inseam, you'd probably have a lot of fun on Honda's 800 Interceptor (VFR), or the upcoming Trumpet 800 Street Triple RT.

I'm seeing good reviews on Tiger XRx on a youtube. Although it has less HP but more of a low down torque, and still is a good fun to ride. I'll try to test-ride it when time permits and will get back to you on that.
All good replies. Greatly appreciate.

• Premium Member
The FJ-09 is designed to compete with the Kawasaki Ninja SX1000 sport touring at about the same price point. this is not the ZX1000 race bike but a perfectly tuned street motor. This is a 1053cc torque monster motor and will deliver better performance 2 up. I owned the SX100 just before I bought the FJ-09. With a better wind screen, the SX had great wind protection. It was also the better high speed bike that could shoot to 140 mph faster than my FJ-09 can get to 120 mph

Having said that, here is why the FJ-09 is the better choice for me at 60 years old. The SX1000 Kawasaki is a lean into the bars riding position where the FJ is more upright. In slower corners I had to wrestle the Ninja where the FJ feels like a 600 cc bike that better responds to my input. With a Graves exhaust and a two wheel dyno reflash on my FJ-09, it is close to equal as my Ninja in the first three gears. In fact I find the FJ power delivery more controlable and a much better wheelie machine. But you owe yourself a ride on the Ninja to see if it fits you.

• Premium Member
The FJ-09 is designed to compete with the Kawasaki Ninja SX1000 sport touring at about the same price point. this is not the ZX1000 race bike but a perfectly tuned street motor. This is a 1053cc torque monster motor and will deliver better performance 2 up. I owned the SX100 just before I bought the FJ-09. With a better wind screen, the SX had great wind protection. It was also the better high speed bike that could shoot to 140 mph faster than my FJ-09 can get to 120 mph
I'm seeing articles that show both the Ninja SX1000 and FJ-09 at around 10.6 sec in the 1/4 mile. I don't see the advantage except maybe 2 up.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Archived