Both headlights on in low beem...can it be done?

pfontainejr

Check out this thread... 
http://www.fj-09.org/thread/3484/headlights-match

I'm not aware of any kits. You will probably have to come up with your own plan to make the headlights match.
Thx, I saw that but want to keep my high beams. My last ride had an aftermarket adapter that was plug-n-play...that's what im hoping someone here has come across...I have found nothing so far im my searches. 

Considering these bulbs aren't dual filament, I don't think it can be done in the manner that you desire.
NNNOOOOO, someone plz tell me it isn't so!!!!!  :(
Unless I'm mistaken (which has happened a time or 2 in my life haha) I think you're oout of luck.  

• 4 weeks later...
Considering these bulbs aren't dual filament, I don't think it can be done in the manner that you desire.
NNNOOOOO, someone plz tell me it isn't so!!!!!  :(
You are not looking at them, what makes the difference?  Just kidding, I lowered the high beam trajectory and now ride on High all the time.  Don't due much night riding and that is why I took that path.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 3 weeks later...
I have made a few calls on this today. I spoke to Customled and they confirmed they had developed a kid for Tripageled.com.
I contacted Tristan at tripage and he said they may have something. I am going to do some pin tests this weekend to check voltage to the led lights and get back to him. I will let you know what I come up with.
The basic premise here is that the module will function in the low beam mode sending signal to the high beam side with an adjustable brightness to balance the two light. When you toggle to high beams the module will cut the adapted signal and it will function as designed by factory.
Hope this helps!!

I just adjusted the high beam light down low enough that I ride with it all the time during the day, and it's PLENTY bright enough at night for riding up to 80mph or so.

I like that with both lights on, the low beam is filling in the lower/closer area, while the high beam gives the range.. And during the day, it's a nice bright light for cars to see me.

I'm still looking at my options to mount up a light bar under the stock lamps. My thought is to use the bracket a member sells here for two side lamps, similar to what the OEM Yamaha additional round lamps mount.. But I want to mount a single wide lamp bar.

The photos on this site show a Red FJ09 with a single mounted lamp, but I'm going to go wider than that lamp, perhaps even slightly wider than the fairing, about out to where the dual lamps would be.

There are 7 watt LED's now with a 5d lens/reflector system that gives you a wide flood on the sides, and spot beam in the middle. I've watched some YouTube reviews of lights like this, and they are pretty amazing in that the spot beams have very little scatter, and the "fog" side is also very good at controlling the light scatter.

The goal is to have a second front lamp that will allow me to ride with all the light I like at night, while during the day, provide another reminder to the cars that I'm there.

Here are pics of the inside of the headlight:

The little yellow spot is the LED (not the plug).  It is on a plate/circuit board and has two screw attachments.  To modify this unit, you will have to pull the assembly apart.  It is glued together, so you would have to unglue, break, saw, etc.  putting it back together would be hard.  
  4766789.jpg

I don't think anyone designed this to replace the LEDs.  If they go out, you are looking at $430-$650 to replace the headlight assembly complete.  Believe it or not, this LED still works, just doesn't have a reflector.

4766790.jpg

View and weap.  Best of luck to those that want to modify this set up.  Nothing is impossible

4766788.jpg  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Here are pics of the inside of the headlight: 
The little yellow spot is the LED (not the plug).  It is on a plate/circuit board and has two screw attachments.  To modify this unit, you will have to pull the assembly apart.  It is glued together, so you would have to unglue, break, saw, etc.  putting it back together would be hard.  

I don't think anyone designed this to replace the LEDs.  If they go out, you are looking at $430-$650 to replace the headlight assembly complete.  Believe it or not, this LED still works, just doesn't have a reflector.

View and weap.  Best of luck to those that want to modify this set up.  Nothing is impossible
So the LED/circuit board is replaceable, but you have to do some serious damage to the light assy to get to it. Well, isn't that just too sweet to eat. Another "cost saving" feature as we used to call it in those "make it cheaper damn it" redesign meetings. 

• 9 months later...
I know that this may be a bit late on this thread but we now have a solution to running both headlights and leds 

https://d2d-accessories.myshopify.com/products/iq-270-a-alert-intelligent-high-beam-controller-with-alert
https://d2d-accessories.myshopify.com/collections/d2d-gen-6-s3-mini-led/products/d2d-gen-6-s1-mini-led-h7-4000-hb-lumen-headlight-bulb?variant=31261332170

https://d2d-accessories.myshopify.com/products/iq-270-a-alert-intelligent-high-beam-controller-with-alert

The new IQ-270-A runs your high beam at a lower brightness until the high beam is switched on. More light and a balanced look!

The IQ-270-A Intelligent High Beam Controller with Alert enables your bike’s high beam to operate at reduced brightness when the high beam is turned off and at 100% brightness when the high beam is turned on

The extra light provided makes your bike more visible and helps make your ride safer without the dangerous glare to oncoming traffic of a full high beam
If your bike has separate headlight lenses for high and low beam, the IQ-270-A will give your bike a more balanced appearance with both lenses illuminated
You select and program the brightness setting at which the high beam lens will operate when the high beam is off
The Alert Feature flashes the lamps in a highly visible pattern when the high beam is switched rapidly on and off twice, increasing your visibility to oncoming traffic. The sequence takes less than two seconds, but will greatly improve your likelihood of being seen. Normal application of the high beam or a single tap will not trigger the ALERT! sequence, so it has no effect on your usual riding style.

WHAT IS INCLUDED?

IQ-270-A controller - 1

Adhesive velcro squares - 2

Posi-Tap® connectors - 2

Posi-Twist® connector - 3

Installation manual - 1

TECH SPECS

Controller input voltage: 9-16 V dc
Controller current draw (red wire): 0.015 amps
Max high beam current: 12 amps (144 watts)
Maximum lamp operating voltage: 16 V
Programmable brightness range: 0-100% in 10% increments
Controller dimensions: L: 1.75" W: 1.31" H: 0.5"
Controller weight: 1 oz.
Fully compatible with CAN-bus

Well I doubt it will work on FJ-09.

FJ headlamp is not using 12volt but its own system which is something like 25v or 40v(I don't remember, someone else find this information).

You can not just install this system between that headlight bulb and the headlight plug

Archived