Is the FJ-09 suspension that bad?

krupted

Im pretty sure the matte silver with blurple wheels is the new faster model they make ;)
That's what the race blu is in Australia anyway.. matte silver with blurple wheels and blue forks. And a nice blurple rear spring although mine is now Nitron blue. Odd colour not really sold on it yet...

Oh!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not going to read everything in this thread but the suspension is fine. No its not perfect but works. I am loaded almost to the max if I calculate just right I am 25 lbs under max right now. Drove it on the truck scale with a passenger and we were 3 lbs under max and it did just fine. You do have to becareful when stopping it does dive but not that much.
My front is set two bars showing with stock rebound. Rear is set to 7 with rebound a quayer turn from max.
 Your definition of "fine" must be really close to my definition of "intolerable."  I have Ohlins fork inserts and shock on my FJ 09, with 3 revalves after Ohlins original set up to get the shock to my definition of "fine". 

• Premium Member
Not going to read everything in this thread but the suspension is fine. No its not perfect but works. I am loaded almost to the max if I calculate just right I am 25 lbs under max right now. Drove it on the truck scale with a passenger and we were 3 lbs under max and it did just fine. You do have to becareful when stopping it does dive but not that much.
My front is set two bars showing with stock rebound. Rear is set to 7 with rebound a quayer turn from max.
 Your definition of "fine" must be really close to my definition of "intolerable."  I have Ohlins fork inserts and shock on my FJ 09, with 3 revalves after Ohlins original set up to get the shock to my definition of "fine".
Wow, three revalves. Have you found the pea under the mattress yet? 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I suspected before I bought the bike that I'd need to modify the FJ's suspension. Even with that, and not being cheap about it, the bike's far less expensive than the other bikes I was considering (another BMW GS1200 or a KTM 1190). And those would probably have required some suspension work too as I'm significantly lighter than the typical European or American rider. The KTM would have for sure (just adjusting its preload requires a trip to the dealer and changing springs requires a dealer reprogramming of the electronic suspension).

If the stock FJ suspension works for your riding, great. For me the stock suspension was pretty awful for a sport-touring bike. Too rough on bumpy roads and sharp edged bumps, but blew through the travel too fast on larger slower bumps. One spot on the road to my house it'd bottom hard every time. It felt unstable on turns with significant bumps in them. The roads where I live and ride are pretty rough. If I rode on better quality roads or rode like I was on a cruiser I wouldn't have found the suspension so lacking.

I had Matt revalve the forks (which I highly recommend, they're really good now) and bought a Hyperpro shock.
I've modified the majority of the motorcycles that I've owned for more than a short time. Nothing's perfect.

I suspected before I bought the bike that I'd need to modify the FJ's suspension. Even with that, and not being cheap about it, the bike's far less expensive than the other bikes I was considering (another BMW GS1200 or a KTM 1190). And those would probably have required some suspension work too as I'm significantly lighter than the typical European or American rider. The KTM would have for sure (just adjusting its preload requires a trip to the dealer and changing springs requires a dealer reprogramming of the electronic suspension). 
If the stock FJ suspension works for your riding, great. For me the stock suspension was pretty awful for a sport-touring bike. Too rough on bumpy roads and sharp edged bumps, but blew through the travel too fast on larger slower bumps. One spot on the road to my house it'd bottom hard every time. It felt unstable on turns with significant bumps in them. The roads where I live and ride are pretty rough. If I rode on better quality roads or rode like I was on a cruiser I wouldn't have found the suspension so lacking.

I had Matt revalve the forks (which I highly recommend, they're really good now) and bought a Hyperpro shock.
I've modified the majority of the motorcycles that I've owned for more than a short time. Nothing's perfect.

+1. Suspension needs work, but it's well worth it. Completely changes the character/mannerisms of the FJ. 

The above quote is exactly what my response would be. Except that I weigh 270 lbs in gear. I will admit, the guy who did the first two shock revalves did them wrong. Norwest got it right in one try. 

With good suspension, the FJ 09 is my favorite street bike of the 7 I have owned, not including dirt bikes.  By my definition, for my needs, it is an excellent motorcycle.  I could have spent twice as much, and still have to replace the suspension.

(I am too tired to figure out how this funky quote system works.)

hey m8, you have springs in front (08422-xxx) or the cartridge fgk237? shock which version of ohlins? there are 3 different models. thanks in advance. 

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

The above quote is exactly what my response would be. Except that I weigh 270 lbs in gear. I will admit, the guy who did the first two shock revalves did them wrong. Norwest got it right in one try.   
With good suspension, the FJ 09 is my favorite street bike of the 7 I have owned, not including dirt bikes.  By my definition, for my needs, it is an excellent motorcycle.  I could have spent twice as much, and still have to replace the suspension.

well, 123 kg is some weight. stock suspension is poor for handling this, not mentionning that generally we speak for a very lightweight bike. what did he do wrong? have you picked the spring rates by yourself or you left that to the professionals?

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

Well, ya just click that button up there that says "quote" on it.

If you do that and edit in "normal" mode it appends your text to the previous writer's quote. There is no end quote.
(at least in Firefox on Linux, it might work right elsewhere)

But if you click the BBCode button it shows the quote marks and then its easy to edit.

• Premium Member

If you do that and edit in "normal" mode it appends your text to the previous writer's quote. There is no end quote. (at least in Firefox on Linux, it might work right elsewhere)

But if you click the BBCode button it shows the quote marks and then its easy to edit.
Or you can just click below the box with the quoted text and start typing like I always do. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Figured I'd chime in here as I'm a new FJ owner and I am not happy at all with the suspension.

I don't have nearly the miles than many of you have but I have enough experience on sport bikes to know what a bike can feel like > 120km/hr. With stock settings, this bike seriously understeers and wobbles in corners or under acceleration which is a far cry from my old gixxer 750. I know these are two very different platforms and I'm not expecting to get the same agility or performance from an FJ but I do expect to have a similar level of confidence on the road, especially at this speed.

Me:
6'4"
210lb without gear

The Bike:
Stock
2 steps of preload added on front and back
default rebound

I'm working with a local suspension shop to rebuild/valve the front and drop an Ohlins 335 in the back. I'm terrified of the cost but considering this is the only part of this bike I don't like, I think it will be worth it. Otherwise, this machine is fantastic!

@piotrek there's a sticky on the board with a variety of options several of which come with remote-preload. Your use-case is exactly what it's for. Hyperpro, Ohlins 535, Nitron NTR3, WIlburs 641+ and I believe the ELKA level 5 also include or have the option.

@physik3r there are suspension upgrades from moderate priced to expensive. A couple of the forum vendors specialize in the subject matter and might be able to provide very good prices not otherwise available.
http://fj-09.org/forum#category-8

I thought another PA-based outfit was joining; don't see him registered yet...

Archived