Modified stock exhaust

papac2000

The stock exhaust has 3 chambers and a very circuitous route for gasses to flow. This guy removed the cat, put in a perforated tube/piece of metal from inlet to outlet and packed the whole thing. It also has a larger outlet. Lots of work maybe, but looking for a mod to get a bit more sound....and one that won't visually tip off my wife I have spent money on the bike. Also less conspicuous, and some insurance companies will not insure "modified" motorcycles.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Depends on your dealer I suppose....if you remove the exhaust entirely and put on aftermarket (other than Akra from Yammy) its kind of the same thing. But I know people who have gotten warranty with slip-ons and power commanders on other bikes.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have been researching aftermarket exhaust, and there will be clearance issues with the center stand with most exhausts. So what about modifying the stock exhaust?
Found on an FZ-09 site where a guy removed the exhaust cover (3 screws) and cut off the exhaust tip to the second weld and welded on a slightly wider tip. The wider tip required him to oval out the end to fit. The stock exhaust tip is in two layers (1 pipe in another larger pipe). He then cut the inner pipe back as far as possible inside the exhaust chamber, thus exposing the inner chamber. He claims increased deep tone and slightly louder. I may try this in the future. If anybody else tries this, please post up pictures.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I had read the info on this as well. I don't mind the look of the stock system, I think it suits the bike. So far none of the aftermarket systems keep the underbelly layout which I prefer. I'm debating how far I'll go with modifying the stock can, but it's on my list of mods for sure.
2015 Matte Grey

• Premium Member
I had read the info on this as well. I don't mind the look of the stock system, I think it suits the bike. So far none of the aftermarket systems keep the underbelly layout which I prefer. I'm debating how far I'll go with modifying the stock can, but it's on my list of mods for sure.
Cool, keep us updated and please take pictures of every stage. ;) 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I kind of regret upgrading exhaust on my FZ-09. It's so damn loud. Sounded cool at first but damn, I can't even barely hear my headphones now. I kept the stock and might even put it back on.

• Premium Member
My problem with the exhaust is when I am really wicking it up in the canyons. I concentrate on the road and rely on the noise the engine is making to tell me when to shift, etc. If an exhaust is too quiet, then I must look down at the tach, sometimes at inopportune times. The tach is a useful tool that I in fact do use, so don't get the wrong idea, I just prefer listing to my engine and let it tell me what to do. I also wear earplugs due to the wind noise, so a loud exhaust is fine for me (just not too loud that it pisses off the neighbors!).
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I kind of regret upgrading exhaust on my FZ-09. It's so damn loud. Sounded cool at first but damn, I can't even barely hear my headphones now. I kept the stock and might even put it back on.
What pipe did you go with Cruizin? I'm about to pull the trigger on the Akrapovic Ti pipe just because I can choose to run with the baffle in and I hear it's really tame. Only marginally louder then stock.

What pipe did you go with Cruizin? I'm about to pull the trigger on the Akrapovic Ti pipe just because I can choose to run with the baffle in and I hear it's really tame. Only marginally louder then stock.

I went with the M-4. You will be fine with the Akra, even Yamaha approves of it.

Well...I took a crack at the stock muffler today. I would consider this maybe Phase 1 since there were various ways I had thought about doing this. Its completely stealth since I accessed the rear chamber (where I planned to make the mod) from the top, and once reinstalled you would never know its been touched. I was afraid to go too far on the first try, but would/may try to get a bit more sound yet in the future. As it stands, it made a noticeable difference. I took pics and will put in a new thread with the YouTube vid of a quick dyno pull.
2015 Matte Grey

• Premium Member
Well...I took a crack at the stock muffler today. I would consider this maybe Phase 1 since there were various ways I had thought about doing this. Its completely stealth since I accessed the rear chamber (where I planned to make the mod) from the top, and once reinstalled you would never know its been touched. I was afraid to go too far on the first try, but would/may try to get a bit more sound yet in the future. As it stands, it made a noticeable difference. I took pics and will put in a new thread with the YouTube vid of a quick dyno pull.
Please keep us informed. Pictures would be great also to show where you cut and how much. I think I will do this mod. I have a friend with a welder (good welder too) that owes me one.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived