ideas for a 5 day itinerary around the tail of the dragon

Hi guys, I just got back from doing a 2 week road trip from vancouver canada to san diego, I think I got used to the quality of US roads so I have 6 days vacation left that I can take when I want and I'm thinking going down to the tail of the dragon area which is closer to home (montreal canada). So far my plan is:

-first two days will be highway riding to get to the area
-ride 5 days in the area
-last 2-3 days I ride back home

So my question is mainly on how to combine roads like tail of the dragon, moonshiner28, devils triangle, Cherohala Loop so if anyone from the area would have a general idea on what a 5ish days itinerary could look like I would really appreiciate

thanks

441 between Cherokee, NC and Gatlinburg, TN is a beautiful road. Try to incorporate that road if possible. The good news is all of the roads that you mention are pretty close together and its not hard to find good roads to ride. Check out this thread for some ideas... http://fj-09.org/thread/3870/summer-north-carolina-meet-aug

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
These are some of the best maps of the area....

http://americaridesmaps.com/

You have the Blue Ridge Parkway and the small roads that take you up to it. Look for 215 and 279 Lake Logan road Wayah Road....

There's really no bad riding in that area. 5 days of moderate riding and you can do all of the ones you posted.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Yeah looks pretty good! I was initially thinking of getting a different hotel every day but, I think that picking a hotel sort of in the middle of most of the roads I want to do and staying there 5 days might be the way to go. Plus I can leave the luggage there

• Premium Member
If you have the chance go to,"Wheels through Time" in Maggie Valley, NC. Motorcycle museum that is cool. About twenty bucks to get in and well worth it. Maggie Valley is right by the Blue Ridge Parkway and has become a motorcycle destination.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Get the Rever app for your phone and pay the $5 monthly fee for one month. Then go to rever.co (not a typo) and you will have access to the Butler maps color coding of the roads. You can then simply plan all the rides you want on your computer.
I live in the area and know these roads well and as fddriver2 said, there is no bad riding here.

Get the Rever app for your phone and pay the $5 monthly fee for one month. Then go to rever.co (not a typo) and you will have access to the Butler maps color coding of the roads. You can then simply plan all the rides you want on your computer. I live in the area and know these roads well and as fddriver2 said, there is no bad riding here.
Damm I just ordered the butler map, had I known there was an app I prob would of gotten that, anyways I should be good to go with the paper map, cant wait 

The Cherohala Skyway is my favorite. Wide sweepers with the possibility of hitting a ton on the straights. The several decreasing radius curves that cause trouble are now well marked. Stop at the Joyce Kilmer forest at the bottom of the Cherohala and walk up to the bronze plaque, about a one mile loop. Joyce was a guy, one of the fathers of modern forestry.

For something really strange, the Georgia Guidestones are only about a 3-1/2 hour ride away from Deal's Gap.  The drive down might not be the most exciting, but you will never see anything like the Georgia Guidestones and it will leave you with questions the rest of your life.

Georgia_Guidestones-lowres.jpg

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

Archived