At the Tail of the Dragon

Hello guys.

I arrived at the Tail of the Dragon yesterday and mannnn it's so much fun.

I finally got my FJ 09 to test. I noticed that I am much faster on my previous supersport bikes. Turns used to be much easier on my CBR 954 and sometimes knee dragging. I am wondering if anybody had a chance to go really hot in turns to the point of knee dragging. Is it possible on the FJ09? I felt like much much less confident on the FJ09 than any other bike I had when running hot. I had CBR600, Cbr954, Superduke and a VFR800.

What you guys think?

This is pretty ground breaking, you found out the sport touring bike isn't as fast or as easy to drag knee in corners as your previous supersport bike...?

Giving you a bit of a hard time, but seems kinda obvious, no?

I came from an 09' CBR1000RR, and am still breaking in my FJ-09 so I haven't got a chance to really push it yet, but I already know the answer for corners, there is no way it will compare, but it shouldn't, and almost every other category the FJ-09 will be better.
"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

• Premium Member
And the search for the holy grail continues..........

Just give me a bike that will corner like a track bike, is comfortable to ride in an upright position, and carry 100 lbs of luggage with a passenger on the rear seat - is that asking too much?

Just give me a bike that will corner like a track bike, is comfortable to ride in an upright position, and carry 100 lbs of luggage with a passenger on the rear seat - is that asking too much?

I agree. Pictures coming soon

• Premium Member
Oh yeah, and a comfortable seat.....

• Premium Member
Kinda like saying my Vette doesn't haul the travel trailer as well as My F250 diesel..... :D

Or. My F250 sure doesn't handle like my Vette....

YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Hello guys. 
I arrived at the Tail of the Dragon yesterday and mannnn it's so much fun.

I finally got my FJ 09 to test. I noticed that I am much faster on my previous supersport bikes. Turns used to be much easier on my CBR 954 and sometimes knee dragging. I am wondering if anybody had a chance to go really hot in turns to the point of knee dragging. Is it possible on the FJ09? I felt like much much less confident on the FJ09 than any other bike I had when running hot. I had CBR600, Cbr954, Superduke and a VFR800.

What you guys think?
Very much agree with your observation! Having recently purchased an FJ-09, I was surprised to find that I can ride a 25 year old single cylinder Honda with tube tires and drum brake much faster than the FJ-09 in the twisties--I  sure do like the electronic aids, triple engine, comfort, and luggage capabilities of the FJ-09 though!

its because of the seating position. You're not in the bike, you're on it

True. I think I might ended up with a second bike like a R3. I still think the FJ09 was a good decision even though when I saw 2 Triumph Street Triple R it made me a little jealous.

• Premium Member
The roads around the Dragon are real nice as well. That whole area has become a motorcycle destination. I'd like to get up there to see the leafs change in the fall.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Depends on how tight. I had a much easier time riding a 250 supermoto on the Dragon compared to my 600. 150# lighter. The fact that it had little more than 1/4 the horsepower didn't matter.

Do you have the suspension set up on the FJ and dialed in as well as your previous bikes? Handling might also feel very different with the wide handlebars and take getting used to.

• 3 weeks later...
My wife and I took the dragon on our way to Florida from Missouri last May. We were fully loaded three givi hard cases and a bag for 36in freediving fins the bike did beautifully as long as you didn't go over 25mph. If you get out there again moonshine run and skyline are really good also

image_zpso3y6wrsv.png

Well I'm 250 lbs my wife weighing in at 135,don't tell her I told ya.we also had three givi hard bags and a waterproof soft bag so I would say 100lbs of luggage included weight of cases and mounts.That would be a grand total of 485 +- . The wife is about 5'4" and she never complained about her hips hurting or legs falling asleep like she did on my Yamaha fz6 , her but would get sore around the 2hr mark but that is also setting on a Corbin seat which made a world of difference.

Archived