Most popular crash bar?

desilva

• Premium Member
SWMotech can't protect carters from a slide, there's some photos here in the forum , but i still prefer them to Givi's because they look and feel more strong and the connections to the frame are better (Givi have some issues with that and they connect by a small plate that seems to bend quite easily, you can find some photos here too). 
Touratech does some good bars too (but expensive) and i think that you can add the lower ones to the SW Motech to give more protection for carters.
I use a combination of the SW Motech crash bars, Woodcraft Clutch Cover Protector and Woodcraft Stator Cover Protector . A bit pricey, but a lot less than a new engine.  

Motech bars + Woodcraft's covers will be the best looking/functional choice imho, but the Woodcraft are way too expensive, maybe a TRex kit will do the job for a bit less price.

Here's a thread about dropping the bike with Motech bars WITHOUT engine covers: http://fj-09.org/thread/1953/dropped-bike-motech-crash-bars

And here some photos from a forum with the damage done with Givi's on:
20160206_161444-XL.jpg
20160206_161506-XL.jpg

A support bent!
20160206_161555-XL.jpg

Fehling does a nice couple of bars, seems quite strong and protective:
image851848702d9e.jpg?PHPSESSID=8096326bc4e7e9511c297dc0fc496211
www.fehling.de

That a different place to mount rear shock remote
Ya, I noticed that too.
Kinda defeats the purpose of " on the fly" adjustment...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Amazing. No mention of Higdoian Cages! I didn't see pics that can compare to the protection the Higdoian Cages (this link has good pictures) provided me two months ago when a deer tee boned me at 65mph, deer moving at 30mph, down immediately and slid for 250 feet before it flipped me off and then tumbled to a stop on top of me 50 feet further.

v43zlk8.jpg

That's alot of wear on those steel tubes.  Not even a mark on the engine case, this side.  The other side got a few gravel nicks when it tumbled, but the cage on the other side ended up relatively unharmed and the whole cage system was unbent, Unbelievable given how hard the bike hit the pavement.  Part of the headlight was 30 feet off the road in a ditch.  Kris Higdon is giving me a real good deal on replacement of the right side.  Unbelievable product support and service.  

I want to say that a good bar end is also a good slider.  I took a 1/2" off the bar end and it was stainless steel, not alum or plastic as in OEM setup.  Almost all the front end plastic was wasted, but I really only bought the cages to protect the engine and they did that very well.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

T-Rex. And the case covers. And the fork/axle sliders front and rear.

I'm going to build my own skid plate setup. Simple, attached to the muffler, and front of the oil pan at the bolts with a simple bracket.

Good options out there for sure.

Archived