Top speed Blow Back

Well said. I've edited a couple of the posts in this thread because I am quite pissed and got a bit snarky for some. Hopefully they now convey my point without being offensive. My apologies.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.
You didn't offend me at all. You assumed like everyone else that has bought an 850 cc bike that it will do what every other 850cc bike will do.Personally I'm pissed myself. I knew something was wrong when I hit 115 and it started stuttering.
All you guys pointing fingers at this guy because he had high expectations for a bike he paid his hard earned money telling him to stop whining and sell his bike is BS. ***NICE SHOW OF SUPPORT FELLAS !****

You finger pointers ever had any bike over 115 mph """"probably not"""".

2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have personally reached out to J.D. Hord (someone who tunes the FZ-09) about this. (http://www.hordpower.com)  Regardless of what Yamaha does (or doesn't) do the aftermarket will ultimately address this issue with workarounds and solutions.

Even though I've owned sportbikes before, it's not a big issue for ME from a street rideability perspective.  However, I DO empathize with others who DO want to this bike for track days and/or aggressive street riding.  The BIGGEST question for me is whether the crippling of the engine is being done for safety reasons because of the frame geometry and how the bike handles at high speed. Many folks have already complained of high-speed wobbles with the bike.  Yamaha needs to come clean in a hurry on this.  Word spreads fast because of the Internet these days, and sales of the FJ-09 could take a hit, depending on how Yamaha handles this.

To each their own.  Your mileage may vary.  Have fun and ride safe.

Well said. I've edited a couple of the posts in this thread because I am quite pissed and got a bit snarky for some. Hopefully they now convey my point without being offensive. My apologies.

You didn't offend me at all. You assumed like everyone else that has bought an 850 cc bike that it will do what every other 850cc bike will do.Personally I'm pissed myself. I knew something was wrong when I hit 115 and it started stuttering.
All you guys pointing fingers at this guy because he had high expectations for a bike he paid his hard earned money telling him to stop whining and sell his bike is BS. ***NICE SHOW OF SUPPORT FELLAS !****

Part of the problem was that his original posts (before being edited) were speaking like we were all in his argument together. That was the root of some of the major blowback on the issue. For many of us, this is not something we see as an issue, so we didn't like words being put in our mouths. It made people lash back.  
That said, does any manufacturer in North America advertise the speed limits they put on their bikes? No. Do most manufacturers put speed limits on their bikes? Yes. Shouldn't come as a surprise. Sport cars or sport bikes, this is an industry standard practice in North America. People fix it with flash tunes if it bothers them. Besides, isn't modding your bike part of the game when you're riding track? ;)

OK, here is the skinny, from J.D. Hord's perspective.   (www.hordpower.com)

"I'm clueless on the FJ version, haven't had one in here yet. But I do know that the FZ was limited to approximately 120mph. It varies a little bit per gear, because it seems they are limiting the rpm to 11,300 in 4th, 9,900 in 5th, and 8,700 in 6th, instead of limiting the actual speed.

I'm attaching 2 charts that illustrate what's going on. One chart is power vs. speed and the other is power vs. rpm. The dark blue line is 6th gear, brown is 5th gear, and teal is 4th gear. The other blue line is the result after de-restriction and mapping. (Flash Tune and PC5) As you can see, they really reined in the power in stock form.

You may post these charts to the forum but please give credit to me.

J.D. Hord
www.hordpower.com
419-563-0348

16466299316_ac9052b097_o.jpg

16490556761_74a6a203ec_o.jpg

The "de-restricted" power curve looks pretty nice!

Thoughts anyone?

"I'm clueless on the FJ version, haven't had one in here yet. But I do know that the FZ was limited to approximately 120mph. It varies a little bit per gear, because it seems they are limiting the rpm to 11,300 in 4th, 9,900 in 5th, and 8,700 in 6th, instead of limiting the actual speed.

I'm attaching 2 charts that illustrate what's going on. One chart is power vs. speed and the other is power vs. rpm. The dark blue line is 6th gear, brown is 5th gear, and teal is 4th gear. The other blue line is the result after de-restriction and mapping. (Flash Tune and PC5) As you can see, they really reined in the power in stock form.

J.D. Hord
www.hordpower.com
419-563-0348

Thoughts anyone?

Did JD tell you the cost for that?

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I'm not sure what "support" you expect from me?????In the US I'm not aware of any manufacturer that advertises a top speed for a motorcycle. What reason would you have for expecting the Yamaha US to give back your money or "fix it".... fix what? I anxiously wait their response.
If ya wanted to go fast, buy a fast bike... a Panigale, R1, S1000 RR, etc....
Have I been over 115 mph....... hell YES, every time I went to the track, not sure how fast because I tape over the speedo so as not to be distracted by measurements of speed because top speed really isn't important to me.... it's about skills baby, S-K-I-L-L-S!  I have nothing to prove and top speed capability is highly over rated.
On the street I generally don't ride more then 10-15 over but have on a occasion bested that. I've gotten to be an old rider by riding smart and riding safe on the public roadways, at least it's worked for me in my 55+ years of riding. 
I think all this bitching about top speed and how Yamaha failed ya is simply chicken shit..... pure chicken shit.

Me, I'd be more concerned about the history of failed CCT's on the FZ and now potentially on the FJ, or the piss poor design of the oil pan with a drain plug that is easily ripped from the oil pan... YIKES!

Perhaps if ya'll spend more time ride'n your FJ-09 and less time riding the interweb you'd find you inter peace and then you'd stop your bitching! Just say'n......
As always YMMV!

Paul

J.D. Hord
www.hordpower.com
419-563-0348

Thoughts anyone?

Did JD tell you the cost for that? 
No, you'll need to contact him directly for a price.  He does great work.

Guest eatpasta
Im fascinated by the polarization about this....and our boards' first argument!  We're growin' up so fast.... *sniff*  :'(

IMHO this reeks of Yamaha's "squid test" a few years back when they said the R6 would reach (dont remember the exact RPM) ~16,000 RPM and when people bought it, the bike only reached 15,000 RPM and everyone panicked.
  Yamaha said they would buy back the bikes from the people who upset about it and eventually it was called the Squid Test because the bike is still unbelievably capable and those riders who were deeply offended in missing the 800 RPM at the stratospheric heights of upwards of 15,000 (even though that's probably past the point of diminishing returns and is in the category of over-run) were missing the point,  Furthermore, probably only about .1% of the riders out there would ever use that bike to within 40% of its full potential.
    I guess the point Im trying to make is that the FJ is an incredibly capable bike and to invalidate it or discredit it simply because you're not getting 20% of it's performance in one gear, to put it simply, is silly.
    Yes, I would be upset about it as well but how often do ANY of us ever exceed 100?  I ride an FJR all the time, usually above 80 and I rarely make it over 100.  As for track days, they are track daysThey aren't races - this isnt a race bike.  If you cant get your jollys in under 100, you've never done a Supermoto school.

If the 115 top speed is a deal breaker for you, get rid of the bike and go buy a ZX-14, until you realize it's limited to 186 - ohhh that right godamothFU@#@

- or -

fix the problem and move to the salt flats

I'm not sure what "support" you expect from me?????In the US I'm not aware of any manufacturer that advertises a top speed for a motorcycle. What reason would you have for expecting the Yamaha US to give back your money or "fix it".... fix what? I anxiously wait their response. If ya wanted to go fast, buy a fast bike... a Panigale, R1, S1000 RR, etc....
Have I been over 115 mph....... hell YES, every time I went to the track, not sure how fast because I tape over the speedo so as not to be distracted by measurements of speed because top speed really isn't important to me.... it's about skills baby, S-K-I-L-L-S!  I have nothing to prove and top speed capability is highly over rated.
On the street I generally don't ride more then 10-15 over but have on a occasion bested that. I've gotten to be an old rider by riding smart and riding safe on the public roadways, at least it's worked for me in my 55+ years of riding. 
I think all this bitching about top speed and how Yamaha failed ya is simply chicken shit..... pure chicken shit.

Me, I'd be more concerned about the history of failed CCT's on the FZ and now potentially on the FJ, or the piss poor design of the oil pan with a drain plug that is easily ripped from the oil pan... YIKES!

Perhaps if ya'll spend more time ride'n your FJ-09 and less time riding the interweb you'd find you inter peace and then you'd stop your bitching! Just say'n......
As always YMMV!

Paul
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Support ????????????????? How about not trying to impose what "YOU" believe on others to be absolute fact ! In this case just [strong]not saying anything at all[/strong] would have been much more constructive then telling someone to stop whining and buy another bike.We all have such a big "E-Penis"  heres  mine 8===================D  BIG LOL

2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

I wonder if there's any chance it's just speed limited for the first thousand miles? The owners manual says that the motor can be operated normally after 1,000 miles. Page 6-4
We have had a member confirm that at 1700mi its still limited. 
This has become quite a contentious issue, not sure we are doing much but going in circles. I'd hate to see another locked thread.....
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Guest eatpasta
I think ya'll need to be more careful when you're quoting people - it's getting really confusing trying to figure out who is saying what

Archived