National Cycle VStream

dakota

My favorite thing about the FJ-09 is how quickly one can modify the bike to go from sporty to quite touring capable.

With that in mind I ordered two windshields from National Cycle, the Sport (short height, dark smoke tint, N20316) and the Touring (largest size, clear shield, N20318). The bracket is the same for both, so I was able to order one kit and then a second windshield and rubber gaskets (no need for a second bracket and screws). This saves money and makes switching back and forth quite simple. I am including some pictures so others can get an idea of how the windshields fit and look on the bike. This may also give you an idea of how they fit with a rider (yours truly). I am 5' 10" tall; I have a 32-33" inseam (depending on how you measure). No, I don't go riding like this, I just threw the helmet on to show the screen height in relation to the helmet.

Here are some pictures with the sport screen installed. 

20161114_161340.jpg

20161114_161454.jpg

I rather like the Sport screen. In my experience in the high position it has eliminated buffeting. There is still quite a bit of noise, but good earplugs mean it doesn't bother me/I don't care. It keeps air off my chest. If I tuck just a few inches I still easily see over it and am in a nice pocket for sporty riding. The windshield mounts securely and does not wiggle and jiggle at speed like the stock screen. The thickness of the windshield appears to be 50% more than the stock screen. The base is also much wider.

Here is a picture comparing the size of the stock screen with the VStream Sport. It doesn't really tell the whole story because the mounting bracket places the screen in a different position than stock, but it does allow you to see relative size differences. The height is very similar but the base is much wider.

20161114_173543.jpg

Now here are some pictures of the Touring VStream installed.

20161114_163736.jpg

20161114_163725.jpg

As you can see this shield comes up much higher, a little above the chin of the helmet. It is still well below my field of view, so I look over the screen rather than through it. I can see up to about 10" in front of the bike, looking closer than 10" out from the front wheel has me looking through the windshield. With a few inches of tuck my field of view is brought down so I am always looking through the shield.

I have not had a chance to test the Touring version extensively yet, but so far I am impressed. At speeds up to 70 mph it is much quieter than stock as well as the VStream Sport. I rode without earplugs today for the shake-down ride and was impressed with how quiet it was. No buffeting just like with the smaller Sport. Airstream hits the top of the helmet allowing for adequate ventilation when opening the front vents on my Shoei Neotec, but keeping wind off of my face when opening the visor. This made for a much warmer/more comfortable ride (upper 40s, low 50s during my ride today). The downside to this screen is when hitting the curves more aggressively I naturally tuck a little. Not a crazy race bike tuck but I slide forward in the seat and lean forward dropping my head a few inches. This puts the top of the screen right across my field of view. This was solved by tucking just a little more. In the normal upright riding position no issues with this at all. The second small niggle is the bottom of the shield catches a little reflection from the stock pumpkins. I did not find this distracting, but others might.

One last picture to show the relative size difference between the sport and touring screen.

20161114_162548.jpg

All of the above images are with the height adjustment in the highest position. I have tried other positions with the Sport screen and I was happiest with it in the highest position. I may try other positions on the Touring windshield just to see what happens, but so far I have been very happy with both the Sport and the Touring shield in the highest position.

Full disclosure, I have no ties financial or otherwise to National Cycle (or any other motorcycle related company). I just happen to like their products. I wanted an option that would allow my to quickly and easily switch between a small sporty windscreen and a larger touring windshield. These products fit the bill for me. Happy to answer any questions.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Hmmm... I bought my FJ used and it came with a tall screen just like yours. Just looking at it I thought it was too tall but having ridden with it now in this cooler weather I kind of like it. I may have to look into getting the shorter smoked one for warmer weather. ? Thanks.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Thanks for the review. I have a tall Ermax windshield with the Ermax wind deflector and I still get wind noise. At 60 MPH if I tuck in a little I can greatly reduce the noise. Not nearly as bad as the stock shield, but I'm finding that I really need to wear ear buds which is a good idea anyway.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I will continue to ride with earplugs. However I was impressed with how much quieter the ride was.

Another item of mention, while the shield keeps wind off my torso and head, and the handlebar guards sort of keep wind off my hands, nothing protects my arms from elbow to shoulder. I found that was the area where the cold bothered me the most. Might need to upgrade my under layers.

Great! Glad someone found this helpful.

Windshield comfort often depends on their relationship to the riders height and seating position. Thought it might help others to see how the various size options stack up against a known height.

Got mine today - put it on. Here is a pic.

IMG_0740_zpsqcrqggcr.jpg

IMG_0737_zps3msyblzz.jpg

BTW- I did not know the windscreen bracket was adjustable --lol since I did not get an owners manual with my bike and my sales man did not point that out. I guess they don't provide those when u buy a new bike anymore?? I know you can view one online.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
@dakota would you please measure the smoke Sport VStream wind screen? I added my gps above my gauges and want to be sure the Sport screen is the correct height.
Thanks.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• 1 month later...
@dakota would you please measure the smoke Sport VStream wind screen? I added my gps above my gauges and want to be sure the Sport screen is the correct height. Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply, I don't spend as much time here as I used to.

Sadly my smaller windscreens are packed away at the moment.

You can see from one of the pictures I posted the dimensions of the V-stream sport and stock screen are quite similar. However the V-stream has a much wider base. It looks like the V-stream sport is maybe an inch shorter.

It mounts slightly differently from the stock screen but there's not a drastic position difference.

• 3 weeks later...
I installed the VStream sport touring version this week.  I had the OEM screen on the highest setting; I have the Vstream on the lowest.  Huge difference in the noise level and buffeting.  I ran it up to 85 mph to really make sure, and it was super quiet.  Doesn't seem to adversely affect the fogging (I use the Shoei pinlock system, but my glasses can be an issue).  Very easy upgrade and well worth the money.

• Premium Member
The Sport screen should be taller than your GPS by a fair amount. I have another manufactuerer's shorty screen taht is even shorter than the NC Sport. See below. I have the Givi Touring screen which is even taller than the NC Touring screen (it is the tallest screen available based on my extensive research) and it was still too short for me so I added an MRW spoiler on top of that! And I'm only 6 foot tall but a Orangutan height torso and arms...

20170326_162923.jpg

20170326_163154.jpg

20170326_163203.jpg

20170326_164451.jpg

20170326_184013.jpg

20170326_184116.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I bought the sport touring model as well. Installed and did a short ride... things seems MUCH better. I'm 6'3" with 34" in-seam. And it looks good too, unlike some other aftermarket models. Very happy so far, let's see how it goes this summer :)
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

• 3 weeks later...
Just installed mine yesterday. First impressions are unfortunately not great, I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam. I tried all 3 positions with the seat high/low and couldn't find a sweet spot. Pretty much all of them produced nasty helmet buffeting at anything over 50mph.

However I also believe I got a defective one. Here's hoping that's why it doesn't work for me. It looks and feels as if the right side of it has a more pronounced curve and is higher.

nr3y3IP.jpg
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

Just installed mine yesterday. First impressions are unfortunately not great, I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam. I tried all 3 positions with the seat high/low and couldn't find a sweet spot. Pretty much all of them produced nasty helmet buffeting at anything over 50mph. 
However I also believe I got a defective one. Here's hoping that's why it doesn't work for me. It looks and feels as if the right side of it has a more pronounced curve and is higher.

Very sorry to hear this.

It's hard to tell from the picture you posted but it sounds like its not right. Did you recheck the mounting instructions to make sure you didn't make a mistake or forgot a piece? I remember they were not that easy to follow. Mine is definitely even on both sides. If not I would contact National Cycle for advice.

They also may be willing to exchange for a larger Touring screen that may work better if you ask nicely :)
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

Archived