Color matching the faster red bike.

Don't know if anyone is interested in this but I recently came up with a spot-on color match to the red metallic paint on the red FJ's. I used a silver enamel base coat (must be applied very evenly--no splotchy areas. Then apply several coats of this red metalcast paint intended to spray an "anodized look" on stuff. It takes about 3 wet coats of the translucent red to come up to the color of the OEM red. Then apply clear coats to achieve the final result. Once wet sanded and buffed out, it is virtually indistinguishable from the OEM red paint.  

paint1.jpgpaint.jpg

Any medium silver basecoat will work but I would stick to Duplicolor just to avoid any compatibility problems.....the main thing is to get the silver on evenly W/O any splotching areas (which will show badly through the translucent red) keeping the nozzle a bit further back from the project helps with this....then apply the red in light coats until the color matches the OEM......don't overdo it, you can't go backwards if you get it too dark.....then duplicolor clear gloss after the red, 2 or 3 light coats of clear followed by a wet coat.....let cure a few days, wet sand with 500 and reapply wet coats of clear.......then wet sand with 1000 and buff out with a medium cut compound followed by a final-cut product. (lots of care at this point.....easy to screw up your project with a buffing wheel)

the red duplicolor metalcast paint is easy to find on line....

not sure the photo reflects how accurate this match is......lighting and angle might be affecting the photo a bit..

I actually have professional paint equipment and experience using it but got lazy this time and decided to play with rattle cans.....cheap and easy

15350657_2169859466572748_3925970741407306024_n.jpg

• Supporting Member
Thanks for this information, great looking results!  It sure doesn't look like a rattle can, I would have guessed it was professionally painted.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@nsrrider ... what is that piece you painted? I envy the patience and skill... unless the work involves flat-black out of a rattle can, I just can't do it. Has to do with the "...you can't go backwards" thing... and having to wait for things to dry just kills my enthusiasm. :(
Ha! trust me.....I'm no artist at it......have the same problem you do, no patience..... 
the piece is a carbon fiber rear seat cowl I made......will post some pics of the completed bike when it's done in a couple of weeks.....still waiting on some parts and a really slow upholstery shop. 

as far as rattle-can aerosols......they can produce incredible results but since they are not catalyzed they probably are not as durable.....not bad in that regard tho.

@nsrrider ... what is that piece you painted? I envy the patience and skill... unless the work involves flat-black out of a rattle can, I just can't do it. Has to do with the "...you can't go backwards" thing... and having to wait for things to dry just kills my enthusiasm. :(
Ha! trust me.....I'm no artist at it......have the same problem you do, no patience..... 
the piece is a carbon fiber rear seat cowl I made......will post some pics of the completed bike when it's done in a couple of weeks.....still waiting on some parts and a really slow upholstery shop. 

as far as rattle-can aerosols......they can produce incredible results but since they are not catalyzed they probably are not as durable.....not bad in that regard tho.

they are usually completely different substances and you are absolutely right its not as durable as original finish. That being said I suspect the half-life is more than the lifespan of a nice finish on my bikes  P-)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Thanks, this is great info. I've been wanting to paint my front fender, so really appreciate this.

Hmmm... paint the front fender fast red... Hmmm. I'll have to consider that. Please do post a photo when that's done. ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Thanks, this is great info. I've been wanting to paint my front fender, so really appreciate this.
Hmmm... paint the front fender fast red... Hmmm. I'll have to consider that. Please do post a photo when that's done. ?
Another option is to wait until the 2017 Candy Red FZ-09 hits the sales floors. It has a colored fender which can be ordered and should be a direct bolt on. $$$
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Another option is to wait until the 2017 Candy Red FZ-09 hits the sales floors. It has a colored fender which can be ordered and should be a direct bolt on. $$$

Oh? Is that the same color as our red bikes?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Archived