Before doing something dumb, let me ask...

So I want to remove my from wheel to get new tires. I bought one of those stands to lift the front wheel but it will not work, I think its the ABS sensor in the way. So, is it okay, while my bike is on its centerstand, to lift the front wheel off the ground by placing wood under the header pipe to lift the wheel off the ground? My concern is crushing the header pipe or cracking the seal at the head itself. Thanks in advance, Rick
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Premium Member
So I want to remove my from wheel to get new tires. I bought one of those stands to lift the front wheel but it will not work, I think its the ABS sensor in the way. So, is it okay, while my bike is on its centerstand, to lift the front wheel off the ground by placing wood under the header pipe to lift the wheel off the ground? My concern is crushing the header pipe or cracking the seal at the head itself. Thanks in advance, Rick
Should be fine. There's not much weight on the front wheel when it's on the center stand. You could also use a floor jack with a small piece of wood on it. I used that method when taking the forks off.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
I do it all the time using a block of wood and a floor jack.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

It won't be a problem. Been using a small scissor jack on all my bikes for years on the headers with no issues; I just put a rag on top of the scissor jack so as not to scratch the headers. Couple words of warning. Loosen [em]everything[/em] up first before you jack the wheel off the ground and jack it up til the rear wheel just touches the ground-no further.  Keep the ABS sensor out of the way, keep magnets of any type away from it & wipe it off with alcohol or brake cleaner before re-installing it. Careful of the ABS disc on the front wheel, stupid expensive to replace if it gets tweaked. 

Thanks guys, I can take off both wheels at the same time with this method right?
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Premium Member
Thanks guys, I can take off both wheels at the same time with this method right?
No, do one at a time. you need the rear wheel on unless you have a pitbull type rear stand. Technically you could, but it will be a balancing act.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

see I did almost do something stupid. I do have a rear wheel stand too that does work unlike the front one. Its 80 minutes driving to get a wheel mounted so I was hoping to do them both at the same time.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

takes 43 seconds to take off the ABS sensor. takes 12 seconds to just put it on the rear stand then use a jack on the catalytic converter. i've done both, many times. i'm on my 8th or 9th rear tire, and 6th front.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll do one wheel at a time to be safe.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Premium Member
I've got a Coats 220 tire changer in my garage, but have had both wheels off the bike at the same time, no problem. Put it on the center stand and remove the rear wheel. Remove or loosen everything on the front wheel to where you are ready to remove it. Then use a floor or scissor jack with wood block under the header or catcon to raise the front tire 1 inch off the ground and remove the wheel.  Put the front wheel back on first.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
I've got a Coats 220 tire changer in my garage, but have had both wheels off the bike at the same time, no problem. Put it on the center stand and remove the rear wheel. Remove or loosen everything on the front wheel to where you are ready to remove it. Then use a floor or scissor jack with wood block under the header or catcon to raise the front tire 1 inch off the ground and remove the wheel.  Put the front wheel back on first.
and I'd put a beer crate under the forks to stop the bike pitching forward and falling off the main stand...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I made an overhead frame out of 2x4s and use a motorcycle tie down strap around the handle bars to hold up the front end and use the center stand to hold up the rear. Much less risk of the bike falling over. You can do something similar if you have roof rafters and a hook.

• Premium Member
Not necessary... I have a No-Mar tire changer and just do one at a time.
BTW... I have a friend here in Western NC who has a No-Mar changer for sale. Good price but shipping would be a killer. So if you live near here and are interested PM me I'll get you in touch.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

see I did almost do something stupid. I do have a rear wheel stand too that does work unlike the front one. Its 80 minutes driving to get a wheel mounted so I was hoping to do them both at the same time.
Once the front wheel is off, you can put the front axle back in & using a jack stand that is the same height as the front wheel or slightly shorter put it under the axle & release the jack from under the exhaust pipe(s). The bike will then sit on the centerstand & the front axle & jack stand just like the front wheel is on the bike. Of course loosen everything related to removing the rear tire before doing the above. I've done this a few times with success, but if something goes wrong it will be ugly!