Before doing something dumb, let me ask...

• Premium Member
Yes I agree I have both front and rear Put Bull stands. The front works fantastic! Safe and solid! ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Supporting Member
Has anyone ever just put extra weight on the pillion to raise the front tire while on the centerstand?
In the past I have had someone press down on the rear seat, raising the front end, while I slid a block under the header. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Has anyone ever just put extra weight on the pillion to raise the front tire while on the centerstand?
In the past I have had someone press down on the rear seat, raising the front end, while I slid a block under the header. 
I've done this as well. Only a temporary lift. If I need the front wheel off the ground long-term, I use my paddock stands.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Mine was only for a day until my stand turned up, Best $80 I spent. book and brick still there as a safety just in case, I like to be over safe.
p><p> <a href=https://s9.postimg.cc/vw7y5e07z/3_C1_A61_EF-99_F0-4_B31-9637-0_A4_DB1848315.jpg' alt='3_C1_A61_EF-99_F0-4_B31-9637-0_A4_DB1848315.jpg'>

• 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member
2 hours ago, ozn3 said:

is this also a safe way to lift the front?

84430480_3164690010221583_5244459384028790784_o.jpg

Kind of late to ask now...😄

When I lift mine for tire changes or fork removal, I use a floor jack with a folded towel under the header.  I find that a floor jack from the side is unstable, I always angle the jack from the front when lifting the bike.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 minutes ago, koth442 said:

Looks fine. How did it feel?

I just saw this on Facebook haha! Haven’t tried yet. I’m guessing the oil sump is sturdy enough 😅

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, ozn3 said:

I just saw this on Facebook haha! Haven’t tried yet. I’m guessing the oil sump is sturdy enough 😅

😳 

Thinking back to high school physics, that's a VERY close coupling between the center stand and the scissors jack.   There's a lot of mass out there on the front, acting as the moment of inertia on the fulcrum of the jack.   See, I was paying attention in class!    I get the feeling that removing the rear wheel would change this equation from Statics to Dynamics...  :)

Personally, I'm MUCH more comfortable using a floor jack under the exhaust header, as @betoney suggests.   

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

Several workable solutions shared here.  However, spend the money for proper front and rear stands.  It is a good investment.  The Pitbull stands are excellent and you will have them for life.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Pitbull stands are great, for sure, but also spendy.  The best way to go for sure.  I've got a rear stand, but still need to get myself a triple tree front stand.  The ones that grab the forks are kinda sketchy, and obviously problematic if you're going to get into work on the forks themselves.

---

My personal favourite method is a regular automotive jackstand under the H pipe up near the top of the headers.  Being a horizontal pipe, and fairly far forward, it helps give the bike a better, more stable tri-pod - and jackstands are inherently stable, being specifically designed to hold things up :)  I find this is much more secure feeling than having something back under the pipes underneath the engine.