Before doing something dumb, let me ask...

• Premium Member
Not necessary... I have a No-Mar tire changer and just do one at a time..
Agreed, and that's what I do. But I believe his predicament was that he had to take the wheels to get them changed and didn't want to make two trips since it was 80 mins away.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I have the same type of motorcycle ATV jack that I used with my 1994 KLR650. I have been reluctant to use it with my 2015 FJ-09 that replaced the KLR as the lift points on the FJ would involve the exhaust headers, etc. Does the jig you rigged up contact the exhaust or the frame or motor of the bike?

Stupidity is not a barrier. I've used a floor jack, centerstand, and strapped the back to a cross member in my garage in the past to get both wheels off some bikes before I had a pb stand.  
Then there was the FZ1 that needed to be in the air for awhile. $40 auto parts store atv jack + jig I made from scrap. IMG_0308.JPG

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/4675/before-doing-dumb-me-ask#ixzz4VCAoxvmk

• Premium Member
Steering head stand, with the bike on the centre stand had my wheels off ground when I had to remove the forks (bike was still standing pretty solid). If you lift the front and the rear ends up sitting on the ground... place a good size patch of 1/2" plywood under the centre stand and try again. 
YMMV, of course... I used the Venom front stand on two pieces of 2x6 lumber (credit to @jgalloway ). This is all I needed to have the wheels in the air (rear was under 1/4" off the ground):

...all the great info in this thread will make for one great video... can you make it? :D

Mine is sitting just like that right now, and has been for 3 weeks (waiting on forks and shock to arrive.) My 150 lb mastiff has the unfortunate habit of scratching his back against the foot pegs. He hasn't knocked it over yet, so I'm calling it a pretty stable way of having both wheels off the ground.  

• Premium Member
I like the jackstand-under-the-axle trick.  
I just put a milk crate under the fork legs, with maybe a 2x4 shim if needed.

Me, too.

For my own comfort, I put a short 2x4 on a jack under the headers, too, just in case the milk crate failed.

I like the jackstand-under-the-axle trick.  
I just put a milk crate under the fork legs, with maybe a 2x4 shim if needed.
Me, too.

For my own comfort, I put a short 2x4 on a jack under the headers, too, just in case the milk crate failed.
I made the 'milk crate' mistake many years ago during hot weather; I had a Honda ST1300 on the centerstand and took the front wheel off. I placed a plastic milk crate under the forks. When I returned the next day to put the front wheel back on I was mortified to see the milk crate had collapsed under the (massive) weight. Miraculously, the bike was still upright even though the crate had lost about half it's height. I don't trust plastic anymore.
Now I just use a stack of 2x4's, etc under the pipes, anything that can't collapse.
Keep Asheville weird!

• 4 weeks later...
The bike is away for the winter but I was always under the assumption that you could remove the ABS sensor and then use the standard front wheel dolly ( on the bottom corners of the end of the fork ) to raise the front wheel for removal, is this an incorrect assumption? I've got about 4k miles on the bike and am thinking of swapping out the stock tires in the Spring.

• 1 year later...
I need to remove front wheel, is this ok placement under headers to support bike (without damage to anything including headers), back wheel is just touching ground and I have strap under handle bar to overhead beam in garage just in case.

Thanks
C7_A06_D7_E-49_D3-4730-_B162-073_A9_F694_DA2.jpg

When you are done, don't forget to return the books to the library. You can probably return the block to Home Depot for a refund too. It will be fine but loosen the axle, caliper bolts and so on before you lift the front wheel.
john

• Supporting Member
I need to remove front wheel, is this ok placement under headers to support bike (without damage to anything including headers), back wheel is just touching ground and I have strap under handle bar to overhead beam in garage just in case. 
Thanks
C7_A06_D7_E-49_D3-4730-_B162-073_A9_F694_DA2.jpg

I have never used the method pictured but that location is where I put the floor jack whenever I raise the front end. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

how many are using the Higdonion cage as a lift point?
Lift all day long under the Higdonion cage.  The structure goes directly to the engine mounts.  The skid plate is the shit to lift elephants on.  Just saying.  Best to stabilize and secure bike first.  Hate to have it fall on you.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)