Speed Limiter

kelpie

Hi all,
I have a question that suppose is directed mainly at my Australian counterparts. Is the MT-09 Tracer supposed to be speed limited? I know the American FJ-09 is but been told before I purchased this bike that the Aus version and EU wasn't. Some time back I found a little quiet track so thought I would open it up a little to see if this speed wobble issue was going to effect me if I did a track day with my mates. To my surprise it stopped powering on not much over 180km/hr. Called the dealer who looked into it and said no not limited, they couldn't test it so was up to me to find someone with a dyno to show that it was, I did this as thinking now something might possibly be wrong with my bike only to have my speed limiting suspicions confirmed. Yamaha's response - yes all tracers are limited. A bit of a backflip from Yamaha but has anyone tested or had their bike on a dyno to confirm wether it is or isn't - perhaps my bike is a bit "Special".
Thanks
Kelpie

• Premium Member
I had my top end limit removed when I had my flash done by 2WheelDyno, but I've only had it up that fast once, trying to get out of a bad situation.

Anyone know what the top end for this bike is without the limiter?

• Premium Member
I had my top end limit removed when I had my flash done by 2WheelDyno, but I've only had it up that fast once, trying to get out of a bad situation. 
Approx. 114-115mph.
hmmm, I thought that was the top speed with the limiter.... Found this chart on CycleWorld's website - why would they put a limiter on if top speed is only 2mph faster? 

Screen_Shot_2017_02_02_at_10_37_05_AM.png

115 mph indicated is where the speed limiter stops my bike from accelerating. Considering that you can hit 115 mph in 4th gear, I would bet that the transmission will get you to the 140-150 mph range top speed.

Anybody tried a top speed run without the limiter?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
hit the red line in 4th gear and was indicating 138mph on a UK bike, no ECU flash 

not tried to go faster - regularly hit indicated 120mph - beyond that there is too much windblast for comfort

I've seen some Europeans claim 233kph which is 145mph  
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Found this chart on CycleWorld's website Screen_Shot_2017_02_02_at_10_37_05_AM.png

Gotta love that 0-60 time of 2.9 sec. That is 0.2 sec quicker than a Tesla P85D that costs about $100K.

The 1/4-mile time will drop quite a bit without a speed limiter.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Found this chart on CycleWorld's website Screen_Shot_2017_02_02_at_10_37_05_AM.png

Gotta love that 0-60 time of 2.9 sec. That is 0.2 sec quicker than a Tesla P85D that costs about $100K. 
The 1/4-mile time will drop quite a bit without a speed limiter.
Hmmm... not really. A low E.T. comes predominately from a good 60' time. That in turn comes from light weight and brute power; getting the mass moving from a dead stop. 
The MPH would likely go up noticeably without the USA 'speed limiter' as MPH is measured in the last 66' of a 1/4 mile drag strip.

Rule of thumb: The first 1/8 mile will be an indicator of the E.T., the last 1/8 mile will be an indicator of MPH. You can make a perfect pass, get completely off the throttle in the last couple hundred feet (coasting) and it will have very little impact on the E.T., but MPH will plummet.
Keep Asheville weird!

Approx. 114-115mph.
Nah its not. 

They're restricted in 5th n 6th in the UK and thats at 140mph. 

The unrestricted bikes with a flash will do a few more mph ontop of that. 

• 3 years later...