Tank bags ... choices ?

• Premium Member
if you choose tank bag ,clip on the cap gaz go in Yamaha store. tank bags from other company Does not fit on fj 09 gaz tank. 
have to shims mine
20170221_182506.jpg

That's because you've used the ring from the MT/FZ09. This doesn't work on the FJ/Tracer due to the trim over the tank. 
Actually it works quite well!  I've been using it since June 2015 and have had no problems. 

Check out  http://fj-09.org/post/16513   for more details.

• Premium Member
Actually it works quite well!  I've been using it since June 2015 and have had no problems.   
Check out  http://fj-09.org/post/16513   for more details.

... is it just me or is the ring in the referenced post different? I see it's a Yamaha bag, but it looks to be on SW-Motech hardware. I have the Evo Engage and the hardware looks pretty much the same. Works well.
It's the FZ-09 Yamaha ring (Part# 1RC-F41B0-V0-00).  I believe that the ring is just a Yamaha branded "SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK Type 110 EVO Tankbag Bottom Tankring".  Same ring, just put into a Yamaha parts bag. 

• Premium Member
It's the FZ-09 Yamaha ring (Part# 1RC-F41B0-V0-00).  I believe that the ring is just a Yamaha branded "SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK Type 110 EVO Tankbag Bottom Tankring".  Same ring, just put into a Yamaha parts bag.
...yeah, I see that... but I think the ring that was shimmed (@jonathanwolf ) was a Givi ring. Am I just on a different planet on this? :(
You are focusing on the brand rather than the point the lupine fellow was making. 

"should you wish to have a tank ring type tankbag you must use a FJ09/Tracer specific part not a generic FZ/MT09 part as the Tracer part needs to have some way to stand higher so the tankbag sits above the tank shroud"

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
You are focusing on the brand rather than the point the lupine fellow was making.  
"should you wish to have a tank ring type tankbag you must use a FJ09/Tracer specific part not a generic FZ/MT09 part as the Tracer part needs to have some way to stand higher so the tankbag sits above the tank shroud"

...not hung up on the brand... jonathanwolf's point was that the ring he used did not work with the bike (wrong ring, obviously)... the response claimed that it did... with a reference post showing a different ring. Am I still on a different planet?... lonely up here. ???
I don't believe we're having a planet problem here.  It's all about the bag!  :^)   
I'm using an FZ/MT09 ring with an FZ/MT09 (Bags-Connection) tank bag.  Works great! 

Looking at the pictures jonathanwolf posted he definitely has a different ring, and a different bag.  Looking at his picture (showing the bottom of his tank bag), it's obvious that his tank bag has a hard plastic bottom which extends farther forward than mine does, and creates his clearance issue with the tank shroud.  So for his choice of tank bag he needs the higher ring.  For my tank bag I'm just fine with the standard FZ/MT09 ring. 

I like magnetic tank bags, and use one on nearly every ride. (Throw my wallet, keys and other stuff in there v/s having in my pockets.) Also the garage door opener remote is in the bag, in the "sunglasses" pocket, so you can pull up, just hit the button through the nylon fabric and no need to fumble with the remote.

It fits on the FJ, but the plastic tank cover in the front makes it sort of loose. (I've been considering putting some magnets under the plastic with 3M trim tape.) The trick is to make sure they are "attracting" the tank bag magnets, or it will not work well at all. ;)

I have the Givi XS307 tank lock bag. I installed it but haven't tested it yet. I had to superglue some bits of foam to the ring in order to shim it up to allow the bag to click into place. It seems like a nice bag, comes with a hivis rain cover, and a tablet sleeve that mounts over the clear map pocket(cuz I guess Italians want to use an ipad to navigate the dolomites or something like that). The insides remind me of a cooler bag so im expecting it to keep my lunch from spoiling.

RKA Luggage Shiloh Road 13-liter expandable bag. It attaches with straps and is very solid. Here's their FJ-09 photo page 
http://www.rka-luggage.com/A14%20Photo%20Gallery/10yam/2016%20FZ9/FZ9.html

The curve of the bag base matches that of the tank well.
I've been using that RKA tankbag since early 2015. It's narrow, so there's no interference with handlebar controls at full lock. Very easy to gas up, just release the back strap. I bought the oversize map window, 8.5 x 11. I like how the map window attaches to the bag with a single wide velcro strip. 
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
RKA Luggage Shiloh Road 13-liter expandable bag. It attaches with straps and is very solid. Here's their FJ-09 photo page 
http://www.rka-luggage.com/A14%20Photo%20Gallery/10yam/2016%20FZ9/FZ9.html

The curve of the bag base matches that of the tank well.
I've been using that RKA tankbag since early 2015. It's narrow, so there's no interference with handlebar controls at full lock. Very easy to gas up, just release the back strap. I bought the oversize map window, 8.5 x 11. I like how the map window attaches to the bag with a single wide velcro strip.
I really like RKA stuff! Well made, and they stand behind their products. I have an RKA tank bag that I bought new in 1993 for my (then new) ST1100. That tank bag still works great! The color's faded after all this time, and the velcro for the removable map pocket (great feature) isn't holding quite as well as it used to (tiny bungee across the bottom keeps it solid) but I have no plans to replace it.

• Premium Member
I really like RKA stuff! Well made, and they stand behind their products. I have an RKA tank bag that I bought new in 1993 for my (then new) ST1100. That tank bag still works great! The color's faded after all this time, and the velcro for the removable map pocket (great feature) isn't holding quite as well as it used to (tiny bungee across the bottom keeps it solid) but I have no plans to replace it.

You know they can and will replace that Velcro strip. Great people Richard and Kathy. ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• 6 months later...

Archived