Yamaha to bring a smaller version Super Tenere?

• Supporting Member
http://www.advridermag.com.au/scoop-yamahas-plans-for-an-850cc-115bhp-adventure-bike/ Looks like a winner.   Noticed it will also have belt final drive.
"recent rumours about the 998cc triple cylinder engine (the motor used in the firm’s YXZ1000R side-by-side off-roader buggy thing) being used to power a big off-roader to replace the ageing Tenere in the model range are not trueThat motor in the sand buggy is a 110bhp, 998cc triple powering a belt-drive   
Yamaha bosses ARE seriously looking at using the already popular 115bhp, 87.5Nm, 850cc triple that powers the MT-09."

While the 850cc CP3 engine is a great choice, and I understand Yamaha wanting to get the most use out of it in as many platforms as possible, I'm not sure why they didn't just import the existing XT660.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Umm. I think ADV needs to do some fact checking for their article.  

There's no belt drive on the YXZ1000R
Fully manual 5 speed sequential shift transmission and hydraulically-actuated foot-pedal clutch.
Yamaha-YXZ1000R-Transmission.jpg

Sounds like ADV is still using robots to write articles, just pulLing multiple storys from the web and mashing it together... i stopped reading articles from that website years ago...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
I like the XT660 but don't think forty something hp at 400+ lbs is the market they would be going after.
All of the manufacturers seem to be introducing smaller "adventure" type bikes.  KTM 390, BMW 310, Kawasaki Versys-X 300, Honda CB500X, Suzuki V Strom 250 etc. between 25-40 hp.

I sure dont get it though, offroad you dont need more than 250cc and onroad, I wouldn't want anything smaller than 650cc, so, I for one am not sure what market they are going after.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Well when you consider that the KLR was one of the only real budget option out there for years, its about time the rest of the industry caught up and made adventure riding more affordable to the masses.

I like the XT660 but don't think forty something hp at 400+ lbs is the market they would be going after.
All of the manufacturers seem to be introducing smaller "adventure" type bikes.  KTM 390, BMW 310, Kawasaki Versys-X 300, Honda CB500X, Suzuki V Strom 250 etc. between 25-40 hp.

I sure dont get it though, offroad you dont need more than 250cc and onroad, I wouldn't want anything smaller than 650cc, so, I for one am not sure what market they are going after.

The activity of motorcycle riding is losing riders at an alarming rate. The MFG's are introducing these low cost bikes in an attempt to lure in the next generation of riders.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member

they are making the bikes for a global market - in many countries there is a tiered licensing system - Europe & Japan. 

When I passed my bike test in 1992 I was able to go from riding a 125cc bike on L plates straight to a GSXR1100, if I wanted. I actually rode an NX650 Dominator.

Now, the licensing system is complex. We have the full A licence that I hold that allows you to ride any bike. There is an AM, A1 and an A2 licence. AM is for mopeds. A1 is for 125cc bikes. A2 is for over 19s on bikes up to 35kW or 47bhp. A is for over 25 years for direct access (do what I did in 1992) or after 2 years on an A2 licence. So, to ride a full power bike you have to be a minimum age of 21 years. This is why there is now a market segment of 250 to 500cc bikes with under 50 bhp. Japan has had a similar system for ever and sub 400cc bike have always been popular with every larger bike having a 400cc equivalent - these never found their way to Europe. Now, with Europe adopting the same licence laws suddenly it becomes worthwhile to get EU approval. They seem to be selling quite well in Europe with the super scoot doing especially well as an urban commuter. 

Whether these bikes will sell much in N.America is another thing but as they are making them for Japan & Europe they may as well try to develop the segment elsewhere.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

It caught my attention, I've always thought the 850 triple would suite an adventure bike well, it's got gobs of grunt low in the RPM's and just flat out sings up top.

I laughed at the article that said the YXZ is belt driven. Hell, some of the new models don't even have a foot clutch, it's got an auto clutch. Although, I think the idea is that the final drive on this mystery triple/Tenere mash up is that the final drive will be a belt. 

Archived