Luggage question?

Hello all.   I'm a new member.  As of 2 weeks ago I am the proud owner of a new 2015 FJ-09.  I have a question about luggage.  I've added Yamaha hard side cases & I've also added a topcase.  However, Yamaha warns you in the hard case instructions not to use both top and side cases together for fear of "overloading" the bike.  I was hoping to be able to use both and was wondering whether anybody had thoughts on the subject.  My thinking is that if you put only light things such as clothes in the topcase it would be ok.  Grateful for input.  --Alex

I have been using both since I got the bike in '05. Sometimes all hard cases, sometimes all soft cases, sometimes a mix of the two. Here is picture of one such mix. I have never had a problem. On the other hand, I have after market suspension which may aid in additional weight distribution. I know other FJ-09 owners with stock suspension that use all hard luggage and they all seem to be OK
Praire_Creek_NP_2016_jpg_copy.jpg

• Premium Member
Hello all.   I'm a new member.  As of 2 weeks ago I am the proud owner of a new 2015 FJ-09.  I have a question about luggage.  I've added Yamaha hard side cases & I've also added a topcase.  However, Yamaha warns you in the hard case instructions not to use both top and side cases together for fear of "overloading" the bike.  I was hoping to be able to use both and was wondering whether anybody had thoughts on the subject.  My thinking is that if you put only light things such as clothes in the topcase it would be ok.  Grateful for input.  --Alex
I have had no problems using both the FJR hard saddlebags and a Givi 52 liter topcase on my FJ riding two-up for long distances.  I do try to keep the heavier items in the saddlebags and the lighter items in the topcase.  Even so the topcase wasn't light for my two-up trips.  Another factor that gives me more comfort in this respect is that I'm using the Yamaha Euro Rack, not the Yamaha USA rack.  The Euro Rack does not share the same mounting bolts as the saddlebags so, IMHO, it's a much stronger method of mounting.   
Take a look at   http://fj-09.org/post/21331/thread   for a picture of the mounting of the Euro Rack.

Welcome apoh

Another vote for don't worry about it. This is my daily commute setup which many times contains a case of beer in the top box on the way home Friday :P 
IMG_20170220_182755.jpg

trey
I really like that pic,nice blend of colors.
Yes, I like mixed brick work, and the arches a nice too ;)  
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Yeah, I run Yamaha hard side cases and a Givi 46lt Trekker top box. Like the guys have said, heavier stuff in the side cases and the top box is usually empty to put the layers i take off in as the day warms up and my breakfast drinks and extra water if needed.

Welcome BTW apoh - happy riding.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Here's my luggage related question, my Shad SH36's will be here Tuesday.  I'm now 61 but can still easily swing my leg over the seat to mount/dismount the bike.  I know the few times I bungied a bag to the seat it got difficult to get my leg over.  Once my Shads are mounted I know I will have to get on and off using the foot peg like a stirrup.  Is the kickstand stable enough to handle this move or is it going to require a balancing act to get on and off?  I never had a problem getting on and off my Kawasaki Concours but I was much more limber in those days.  Just looking for some feedback to possibly avoid some embarrassment.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Here's my luggage related question, my Shad SH36's will be here Tuesday.  I'm now 61 but can still easily swing my leg over the seat to mount/dismount the bike.  I know the few times I bungied a bag to the seat it got difficult to get my leg over.  Once my Shads are mounted I know I will have to get on and off using the foot peg like a stirrup.  Is the kickstand stable enough to handle this move or is it going to require a balancing act to get on and off?  I never had a problem getting on and off my Kawasaki Concours but I was much more limber in those days.  Just looking for some feedback to possibly avoid some embarrassment.

With just the SHAD cases only you might still be able to get on the bike without using the pegs. I have the SH36s and tail bag sitting on the passenger seat. I regularly use the foot peg to get on and off the bike. As long as you are on level ground it shouldn't be a problem. There have been a few times that the bike was on an angle and I felt like it was about to tip over. When possible I put the bike on the center stand which makes mounting via the foot peg much more stable.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived