Gas Mileage vs Engine Mode

rain

Sorry if this is has been done already.
I just got a '17 and broke it in on STD mode. My gas mileage (California gas) is a little over 52 mgp.
A friend has a '15, also new, and gets about 46.5 mpg in "A Mode".

This may be apples/oranges comparing a 15 with a 17, but I was wondering if anyone has a feel for the difference in gas mileages between the modes. I was also wondering if the fuel mapping is much different between them. Could things be running richer in 'A Mode'?

I'm not interested in saving gas, just curious about the tech between the engine modes.

Fuel mileage is a direct link to how hard one twist the throttle...

A mode is basically a more sprinted tune than STD mode

STD mode is the middle ground between A and B modes

B mode is a far less spirited tune than STD till about 1/3 throttle then it becomes STD mode tune...this mode is made for city riding or bad weather riding...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
I am really not sure how anyone gets an "average" of 50+mpg. After reading similar posts about others getting low to mid 50's (I believe someone said they routinely get 57mpg), I purposely tried it for myself. We had a rare break in the weather yesterday so I took off for an afternoon ride of just over 200 miles. I got on some secondary highways and went as low as 50mph with the cruise control set, level roads with no stop lights, and couldn't get the CRNT FUEL readout to hold above 50 for very long. The slightest incline and the readout was mid to high 40's, of course it went higher when I was on a slight decline. Riding it in a very sedate and honestly boring manner, I still only managed 48mpg average.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I am really not sure how anyone gets an "average" of 50+mpg. After reading similar posts about others getting low to mid 50's (I believe someone said they routinely get 57mpg), I purposely tried it for myself. We had a rare break in the weather yesterday so I took off for an afternoon ride of just over 200 miles. I got on some secondary highways and went as low as 50mph with the cruise control set, level roads with no stop lights, and couldn't get the CRNT FUEL readout to hold above 50 for very long. The slightest incline and the readout was mid to high 40's, of course it went higher when I was on a slight decline. Riding it in a very sedate and honestly boring manner, I still only managed 48mpg average. 

We just started tracking our gas mileage via Fuelly. So far we only have two data points for the FJ-09. Today we rode from Ames, IA down to Kansas City. The FJ was running 91 octane no ethanol gas. Admittedly we had a bit of a tail wind but we were also running between 75 and 85 mph. The FJ got 55 mpg on the tank coming down here. 
The bike is primarily ridden in standard mode by my wife. She weighs in the neighborhood of 145 not including gear.

fuel.png

fuel2.png

Fuel mileage is a direct link to how hard one twist the throttle... 
...B mode is a far less spirited tune than STD till about 1/3 throttle then it becomes STD mode tune...this mode is made for city riding or bad weather riding...

This is incorrect (unless you have your ECU flashed)... STD and A have the same peak output with A giving you more power earlier in the rev range. B mode is far less spirited, as you stated, but it is tuned down throughout the entire rev range (you never get the same peak power as STD). Dyno runs have confirmed this.

I get about the same gas mileage in A and STD, with a slight edge in A. Somewhere between 47-50 mpg while commuting. I attribute it to myself being easier on the throttle in A mode.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
Admittedly we had a bit of a tail wind but we were also running between 75 and 85 mph. The FJ got 55 mpg on the tank coming down here.
I have no idea how that is even possible, but if you can get that kind of mileage, good job!  I just turned over 1000 miles on my new bike yesterday, each fill-up has been about 43mpg riding in STD mode, I wonder if it gets better after break in? 

It will likely get better after break in. Have you changed your oil yet? Her bike has 3200 ish miles on it I think. 

Also, after break-in sync your throttle bodies, it will definitely help if they're out of spec. I have a YouTube video how-to. Also running non-ethanol gas. Another tip is make sure your tires are properly inflated and your chain is well lubricated. All of these things contribute to extra friction, resistance, and inefficiencies.

We don't ride our bikes to get good fuel economy (plenty of spirited acceleration), but I also like to see how high I can get it just for fun.

• Supporting Member
It will likely get better after break in. Have you changed your oil yet? Her bike has 3200 ish miles on it I think.  
Also, after break-in sync your throttle bodies
I dont adhere to any formal "Break-in", from day one I just ride it like I normally would.  I dont ride it like an A-Hole, but I surely dont baby it.  My initial oil change was at 150 miles and now that I hit 1000 miles I will do the 2nd one, break-in done.

• Premium Member
B mode... 

STD and A have the same peak output with A giving you more power earlier in the rev range.

I don't think this is quite right either. I don't think torque/power at full throttle at any given revs differ between A and STD; I think what differs is the throttle mapping at anything less than full throttle--I.e., if you twist halfway, what does that mean.

STD and A have the same peak output with A giving you more power earlier in the rev range.
I don't think this is quite right either. I don't think torque/power at full throttle at any given revs differ between A and STD; I think what differs is the throttle mapping at anything less than full throttle--I.e., if you twist halfway, what does that mean.
I believe you are correct.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I don't think the non-ethanol gas is worth it. Around here it costs 25% more than E10 premium, *if* you can even find it. In my town of 50k people I'm aware of only one gas station that sells ethanol-free fuel.

I doubt the ethanol-free fuel yields a 25% increase in fuel economy.

As far as I understand it, the only real factor that matters with fuels is the octane rating, sometimes called RON. Petrol companies blend fuels depending on spot market purchases, so the actual composition varies, but they have to hit the RON value consistently.

Adding ethanol is purely to meet bio fuel regulations, to lower overall global warming potential of the fuel. To compensate for adding ethanol, other alkanes are added to maintain the RON rating. It should not therefore have any impact on your fuel range.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I don't think the non-ethanol gas is worth it. Around here it costs 25% more than E10 premium, *if* you can even find it. In my town of 50k people I'm aware of only one gas station that sells ethanol-free fuel. 
I doubt the ethanol-free fuel yields a 25% increase in fuel economy.
My local gas station has no ethanol free 91 octane option. I have 3 options: 87 with ethanol, 87 without ethanol, or 91 without ethanol. Depends what part of the country you live in.

Archived