Motorcycle insurance, anybody had good luck with a claim

Some one close to me had his 6 month old BMW K1600 GTL totaled. He came out pretty good and credits the gear he wears.
The first call from Progressive he was told they would only pay as if the bike was a GT model and that everything that came on the higher end bike was an option.

Allstate fixed my van for free a couple of years ago after getting rear ended,but I haven't had to deal with a totaled vehicle. I'm knocking on wood now. 

I'm no expert on insurance, but if his bike was insured as a GTL I don't know how they could even legally say that. However I do know that there is a difference between "actual cash value" and "replacement value" insurance. Not sure if that has any bearings on this situation.

FWIW I had Progressive many years ago and totaled and old Ninja.. all it took was to bust up the fairings lol. They gave me more than I paid for the bike, including money to replace my helmet.

Good luck to your friend, insurance companies are a pain at times.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I've had one claim, thanks the gods. It was a headache dealing with all the details, but luckily the insurance company paid 100% of the damages. It was the other guys fault for trying to make a left turn from the middle lane. So it was the other guys insurance company, and when I say guy, I mean lady in her young 20's still driving daddy's car and on daddy's insurance. Their insurance was State Farm.

One would think by the VIN number the insurance company would know what specific model the bike is.

My nephew hit a deer a couple years back on his H-D StreetGlide and Progresive handled it quick & easy and more than fair with the claim.

• Supporting Member
FWIW I had Progressive many years ago and totaled and old Ninja.. all it took was to bust up the fairings lol. They gave me more than I paid for the bike, including money to replace my helmet.
I had a similar experience with State Farm.  After owning my FZ1 for over 6 years and almost 45,000 miles, they paid out more than I originally bought it for.  I also found out that part of my policy was riding gear coverage of up to $3,000, so they cut an additional check to replace all of my gear. My experience was very positive, they went out of their way to help with my claim, often insisting that I submit as many receipts as I could find for aftermarket parts to maximize the payout.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Maybe just the way some companies do business. Low ball you first hoping you need the money. I did find out that you have to release the bike or the insurance company has to pay the storage fees. Also add that this is Florida and I think we are about 5 or 10 years behind the times here. Using a cell phone while driving is a still secondary offense.

I work for a large insurance carrier and can assure you that there are very strict rules that govern treatment of insureds. Companies face fines and potential treble damages for bad faith claims. I'm not saying the claims process is all roses- I'm just saying that there are well defined contracts and many laws in place that determine how the process is to operate. If you honestly believe that there is a conspiracy out there where companies train employees to chisel the consumer, you're kidding yourself.
As far as "Actual Cash Value" vs "Replacement cost" policies- I think you can pretty much figure that the premium for a "new for old" policy will be much steeper than for one that applies depreciation. As far as I know, most motor vehicle policies are ACV.  
"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?" -Isaac Hayes

• Premium Member
Maybe just the way some companies do business. Low ball you first hoping you need the money. I did find out that you have to release the bike or the insurance company has to pay the storage fees. Also add that this is Florida and I think we are about 5 or 10 years behind the times here. Using a cell phone while driving is a still secondary offense.
...speaking of Florida...just came back from Tampa/Clearwater.... always shocked how many drivers are on their phones... and no helmets required for motorcyclists :o . Seems that it is mostly the HD riders who take full advantage of that one (even saw a guy one handing his phone while riding). Lots of ads for motorcycle injury lawyers though. (rofl)     
    And they sure make some wacky laws in Florida, you don't need insurance on a motorcycle down here unless you ride without a helmet, and in that case all you need is $10,000 in medical insurance for when you bust your head open so I guess they figured anyone that was dumb enough to do it didn't have any brains in the first place so it would be an cheap fix. 

BLB

• Premium Member
...speaking of Florida...just came back from Tampa/Clearwater.... always shocked how many drivers are on their phones... and no helmets required for motorcyclists :o . Seems that it is mostly the HD riders who take full advantage of that one (even saw a guy one handing his phone while riding). Lots of ads for motorcycle injury lawyers though. (rofl)
During my commute home, from downtown Portland to Vancouver Washington (about 12 miles), it's a minimum every third or fourth driver is on their phone.  I ride the HOV lane and pass a few hundred cars a week.  

• Premium Member
One would think by the VIN number the insurance company would know what specific model the bike is. 

You would think that, but it ain't necessarily so. When I first received my insurance card for my FJ it said "FZ-09." I had to call my agent to get it corrected.

I have State Farm and they've been very good overall. However my agent changed about three years ago and this new agent makes a lot of mistakes. (Motorcycle model wrong, model year wrong on my RV, primary drivers for cars mixed up.) I really need to switch.

It seems insurance companies in California typically offer 80 cents on the dollar, and then you have to fight with them to get any more. They do not pay me for my time related to dealing with the loss, they do not pay for depreciation due to any future buyer now can get a Car Fax report that indicates vehicle was in a wreck. They paid for a rental car for 30 days, better hope your car can be repaired in less time. And then they raise your premium for 3 years. Sounds like a conspiracy to not pay full costs to me.

Archived