Science Biker FJ-09 Maintenance/Repair Video Mega-Thread

nsmiller

Is it advised in the manual to remove the ABS sensor and caliper? I didn’t do either of those when I took off the rear wheel?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I recommend to remove the sensor from the caliper bracket so there is no chance of damaging it removing  or installing the wheel. It's 1 bolt and only takes a second. I'm not sure what you mean by removing the caliper. You Do Not remove the caliper from the bracket. Push the wheel forward and remove the chain. Then I recommend pulling the wheel, caliper and bracket rearward until it is clear of the tab on the inside of the swingarm. Then lift the caliper and bracket off the brake rotor. I mount motorcycles tires as side business and have a lot of experience with this.

john

I just watched the video. DO NOT remove the caliper from the bracket. DO NOT loosen the chain adjuster nuts and bolts unless you really want to or you are going to readjust your chain. For a tire mount only, DO NOT remove the rear sprocket.
john

Is it advised in the manual to remove the ABS sensor and caliper? I didn’t do either of those when I took off the rear wheel?
Yes, it does. But I can't find the manual right now amidst all of these moving boxes so you'll have to wait for official confirmation when the manual resurfaces. =)

I just watched the video. DO NOT remove the caliper from the bracket. DO NOT loosen the chain adjuster nuts and bolts unless you really want to or you are going to readjust your chain. For a tire mount only, DO NOT remove the rear sprocket. john
I did say in the video that sprocket removal is not necessary. And you're likely right that caliper does not have to come off the bracket and chain adjustment does not have to happen. I demonstrated the procedure as specified in the Yamaha Service Manual for rear wheel removal.  
In addition, this is my first chain drive bike, and you definitely have to remove the brake caliper to take the wheel off on my shaft drive FJR so that's what I'm used to doing.

I'm for this procedure, after having changes at least 6 rears. 
I have come to the conclusion that it is better to just loosen the abs bolt about a 1/4" thous allowing the abs unit to be left in the caliper.  When you release the caliper from the wheel, whole unit can hang off the swingarm and you don't have to worry about the abs unit coming in contact with anything.  You have to loosen the abs unit or you can't get the wheel to separate.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Good to know! I just dropped the wheel after removing the axle and left brakes and ABS in situ. I’ll try the advice above next time.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I'd be forever grateful for a video on how to get this bike back into time after adjusting valves. The process is so vague in the service manual.
I'll be checking and adjusting the valves as necessary this winter on my FJR. It will likely be at least 1.5 to 2 years before our FJ-09 is due to have the valves checked. Can you clarify what you mean by getting it back into time? You have to loosen the cam shaft in order to change the shims, but the timing shouldn't change.

Archived