New recalls on Yamaha triples

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I wonder if I can get them to put a better bar on at the same time.

Chadman http://www.twistypedia.com
The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

With All the other recalls,I have found information about online months before. And in turn was the first to notify my dealer about the problems. So I'm sure it will come down the pipe.

• Premium Member
"The recall concerns the lower handlebar, which may have been improperly painted, and as a result the stud bolt threads may not have had enough thread-locking agent applied." 
...how do you read this? Is this an issue affecting the bar clamp bolts or the bar riser stud?... and how an improperly painted anything would really affect how much thread locking compound is available on the thread. We're talking fractions of millimetre here... I think the piece bungled the description somewhere (lower bar... bar lower... ::) ). Time to call the dealer I guess.
I think what their saying is someone forgot to put the thread locking compound on the lower bar riser (clamp) studs where they thread into the risers and their calling it paint. 
And it sounds like it was poorly translated to english buy a not too bright lawyer or somthing.
BLB

Full article text:

"Multiple three-cylinder motorcycle models from Yamaha are about to be recalled for a safety issue. The recall concerns the lower handlebar, which may have been improperly painted, and as a result the stud bolt threads may not have had enough thread-locking agent applied.

This means that if the handlebar is struck hard enough, the paint on the handlebar holder might be damaged, which in-turn could cause there to be enough of a clearance difference on the stud bolt to allow it to loosen itself from engine vibration.

Since this could cause the handlebar to come loose (or off) while riding, it poses a safety hazard to the rider, and Yamaha intends to recall the affected models, which includes the 2015-2017 Yamaha FJ-09, 2014-2017 Yamaha FZ-09, and 2016-2017 Yamaha XSR900.

The remedy for affected machines is to install a new handlebar lower. We expect Yamaha and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to announce this recall in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for more information."

After referencing the service manual and looking at the bike here is my assessment: The lower handlebar holders have a stud coming out of their bottoms which slides through the upper triple clamp. There is then a nut on the bottom of the triple clamp which secures the handlebar lowers to the triple clamp. If the handlebar is struck the stud coming out of the bottom of the handlebar lower could loosen which would create clearance between the nut and the under side of the upper triple clamp. Then engine vibration could further loosen the stud/nut which secures the handlebar lower to the upper triple clamp until it falls out. At this point, the handlebars are free to pivot or come off completely and you lose control of your bike's steering. I would post a picture of the diagram in the service manual, but I would probably get in trouble for copyright violation.

two of my handlebar bolts were loose. 

Upper handlebar bolts I assume? Or are you talking about the nuts under the upper triple clamp? The upper handlebar bolts are easy to see and keep a visual eye on. The studs/nuts referenced in the recall would be hard to notice until catastrophic failure occurred. 

Upper handlebar bolts I assume? Or are you talking about the nuts under the upper triple clamp? The upper handlebar bolts are easy to see and keep a visual eye on. The studs/nuts referenced in the recall would be hard to notice until catastrophic failure occurred.
...any idea how much of the stud thread protrudes beyond the nut?
Based on a quick glance/feel, the protruding stud length is flush with the nut that holds it in place. So a third to a half an inch I would guess.

• Premium Member
"Based on a quick glance/feel, the protruding stud length is flush with the nut that holds it in place. So a third to a half an inch I would guess."
This sounds disturbingly like a recent conversation I had with my doctor... B-|

"Based on a quick glance/feel, the protruding stud length is flush with the nut that holds it in place. So a third to a half an inch I would guess."
Did the doctor tell you about the impending recall on your stud?

• Premium Member
Did the doctor tell you about the impending recall on your stud?
At "a third to half an inch" and sitting "flush with the nut", I'd welcome a stud recall... 

Archived