New recalls on Yamaha triples

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been waiting a week for mine to re replaced. they would not give my bike back I only have 120 miles on it  

Wait...what?  They've had your bike for a WEEK? 
That happened to me, there'd be cops involved before it was all over.

What years models are affected? Thx
Pretty sure all years of FJ-09/Tracer, FZ-09/MT-09, and XSR900 are affected.

EDIT: Just looked at my recall notice again it says "...certain 2015-2017 FJ09, 2014-2017 FZ09, 2016-2017 XSR900 motorcycles"

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Got the letter this week and just got back from having the risers and their nuts replaced. Was going to have them do the CCT TSB as it had made "the noise" for the service manager late last year but by the time the parts came in it was November so I waited until today.  So today the parts manager said it sounded better than most and it could sound worse with the TSB units (even though he and/or the tech said they/he had never done the TSB replacement?) and recommended waiting until it really started making "the racket". He also ordered a new right side cover for me under warranty because inexplicably the little nub the retains the clutch push arm spring fractured off (on my second ride after taking delivery last July but I McGivered the push arm spring with safety wire which has held fine but as this was my first return visit to the service department since delivery I asked and shall hopefully receive).

So a big thumbs up to Nielsen Enterprises in Lake Villa, IL!! They do have one of the better sales, service and parts departments in NE IL (if not IL and SE WI) but unfortunately they are 40 miles from my abode.

20170504_181428.jpg

20170504_181458.jpg

20170504_181547.jpg

20170504_181758.jpg

Got the letter this week and just got back from having the risers and their nuts replaced. Was going to have them do the CCT TSB as it had made "the noise" for the service manager late last year but by the time the parts came in it was November so I waited until today.  So today the parts manager said it sounded better than most and it could sound worse with the TSB units (even though he and/or the tech said they/he had never done the TSB replacement?) and recommended waiting until it really started making "the racket".
My dealer has the new cct for my bike as well as the risers, wasn't really planning on having the cct done until it actually made noise-bike has less than 300 miles.  Here's hoping no ill effects by doing it now.  (One less visit to the service dept. later.)

• Premium Member
My bike made the noise but it has not done so for a while and I've taken it to redding more than once over the last 12,000 miles snice I bought it new last July (with winter weather shutting down the party for 4 months until last month).

My and my dealer's service manager's advice is if it works don't mess with it. You never know if the tech* will screw it up or if the new CCT version is really that much better.

I'm probably going to install myself APE's manual CCT.

*Who while supposedlyrics also a certified airplane mechanic tightened the bar riser caps incorrectly which I had to fix when I got back to my shop!

• Premium Member
I took my 2015 FJ09 to the dealer in Hickory, NC today. He looked up my VIN and said that the previous owner had the shift shaft recall fixed but that I neede both the Cam Chain Tensioner and the lower handlebar risers replaced. He asked what color frame I had so he would order the correct color. They will call when parts come in.
Note: he had a replaced lower rider off an FZ on the counter to show what one that was failing looks like. b09486214bd6195b2f47febc53309b4a.jpg
He said that all the replaced parts would eventually be sent back to Yamaha. You can see the bent bolt.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

I did this repair today. Thanks to piotrek for the idea. I opted to put blue locktite on the threads that go into the riser. This way I don't have to make an extra trip to the dealer and be without my bike for a day. I will probably let them do the recall work when I have to go in for a valve adjust or other major service.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

I took my 2015 FJ09 to the dealer in Hickory, NC today. He looked up my VIN and said that the previous owner had the shift shaft recall fixed but that I neede both the Cam Chain Tensioner and the lower handlebar risers replaced. He asked what color frame I had so he would order the correct color. They will call when parts come in. Note: he had a replaced lower rider off an FZ on the counter to show what one that was failing looks like. b09486214bd6195b2f47febc53309b4a.jpg
He said that all the replaced parts would eventually be sent back to Yamaha. You can see the bent bolt.

This doesn't look like the paint chipping away that this recall addresses.  I think that FZ was crashed to do that to the bolt and deform the lower face of the riser.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

I dropped mine off last Saturday and they called Wednesday to say it was done. They didn't have the parts on hand. I couldn't pick it up until last night (Friday) due to my work schedule. I asked them to sync the TBs while they had it but apparently the tech missed that part of the work order. Offered a free oil change to compensate, if I paid for the oil... Uh, no thanks. I just changed the oil less than two hundred miles ago. Looks like I'll be purchasing some vacuum gauges soon.

I got mine back from the shop. New risers look more scratched up than the original ones. Handle bars are mounted crooked. I guess I'll loosen everything up, straighten and re-torque it.

• Supporting Member
I got mine back from the shop. New risers look more scratched up than the original ones. Handle bars are mounted crooked. I guess I'll loosen everything up, straighten and re-torque it.

That is so frustrating... I feel like I should have the recall work done 'just because', but am not thrilled about the idea that a junior-level shop mechanic will be knocking it out in the allotted 14 minutes. I'll spend a lot more time than that double-checking their work and readjusting everything to exactly my liking.

So who has heard of anyone actually having a problem with the bolts coming loose? I've seen posts about every little issue with this two year old bike but until the recall this is the first I've heard of any problems with the handlebars. I can't believe that after 8000 miles on my bike, it's now totally unsafe to drive and need to trailer the phucking thing to a dealership to sit in their shop until the parts arrive. 

Archived