New recalls on Yamaha triples

Thanks dush. I never expected the triple to be as smooth as a four, but did not expect it to vibrate this much either. Then again; never tried a vertical twin. What intrigues me is most owner describes the triple as "...butter smooth", although, a very few, like myself have been disappointed, and most magazine testers do not mention vibration either as penalty, even when comparing it head to head with fours. Are a few triples worse than most? Did I expect too much from a balance shaft??
Not sure.. never been on a triumph (pretty much the only other modern triple I'm familiar with)

Anyway.. definitely some vibes at certain rpms. Never bothered me. Sorry yours are either worse or at least to a point that make you uncomfortable...

Motorcycling is so subjective. All that really matters is whether or not you're happy with your experience.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
firing order also determines "engine harmonics" also the front sprocket from my experience is the cause of "vibrations" and switching to a plain jane sprocket will result in "normal chain" vibrations but will be a tad louder...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

For more than three years now I've been riding my 2015 FJ-09 side by side with a 2011 FZ8 and can definitely say that the FJ's triple is not as smooth as the FZ's inline four.  But the vibrations are not disagreeable to me and actually add character to the FJ. 

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

I'm a bit puzzled by the triple vibration comments. Did you not test ride before you bought ? For future buyers of any bike, from my experience, here's a descending list of vibrating engine configurations...

Road drill.       Single.    
                      Twin.     
                      Triple.
 Smoooth        In line 4.  

So yes, a triple vibrates more than an inline 4. That's why inline 4s were so popular. (My 18 year old CBR 600 does 150mph, throttle and engine is smooth as silk, and its been totally reliable, which is why I still ride it) Older bikes also had the benefit of having bugger all emission restrictions to dial out, which I think is the cause of a lot of problems on newer bikes.  Here's the solution though...Go for a ride on a BSA 650 twin with two carbs, (lightning) When you get back on your triple, you won't notice any vibes at all ?

• Premium Member
I'm used to riding a 90-degree V-Twin without a counter balancer which I find relatively smooth with Pleasant power pulses, and the only change I've that could have affected vibration felt at the hand grips was I went to solid aluminum clip-ons

I've had single-cylinder bikes where some vibrated a lot and others not so much same with the older British twins

In regards to the fjo9 I often find myself cruising down the highway at 75 miles an hour and not realize I'm only in 4th gear until I notice how the gas mileage had dropped.

I think I've commented on this before but one of the things I did was to pack the handlebars full and solid with BB's and I've also change to a lower bar with less rise and more sweet for comfort and went with the rubber covered foot pegs but really don't find the vibration at all objectionable

I'm a bit puzzled by the triple vibration comments. Did you not test ride before you bought ? For future buyers of any bike, from my experience, here's a descending list of vibrating engine configurations... 
 ?
I did not test ride before buying.  It was a brand new left-over 2016, only FZ-09 they had, and did not have fluids, nor battery, thus testing was out of the question.   No demo.    It was below MSRP and no "rip-off" fees, thus sounded like a very good deal (It would have been, if the vibration did not detract the purchase). 
……..but then again, never really tested any of the fours I had before, except sitting on them, starting the engine and reving it, but never looked back in any of them. ..I already new what to expect from reviews, ...I thought knew all the 'shortcomings" about the FZ-09, I was mistaken in this case.

…...But it is OK, this tells me in the future, if more than 500 cc, I should stick with naturally balanced engines; fours, 90 degree V-Twins, or Flat Twins (180 degrees).     Balance shaft, reduce vibrations, but don't eliminate them.

In the future, make sure you test ride. The ONLY way to tell if the bike is for you, is to test ride it. Everyone has their own opinions on what they want from a bike, they may be different to yours. If you can't, then unless your desperate, don't buy it. Magazine reviews are suspect at best, none of them really want to pick holes as they have consequences to face. BTW, I've not seen any articles where they describe your bike as 'butter smooth'. Really dude, you need to look on the positives and enjoy yourself. You have a very good and exciting bike. You have the answer yourself. If your riding at 4000, you need to change down a gear and ride with the revs higher up. It's not a Harley. Stick with it, and have some fun.

I own a v twin Honda 600 and the FJ and by far the FJ is smoother (obviously following the smoothness to # of cylinders ratio above haha). All bikes to me are a little buzzy after riding for a long time, just chalk that up to normal riding. I'll probably follow suit with the BB's in the bars at some point but in no way does this detract me from wanting to own or ride this bike!

• Premium Member
Mr 2 and 3 cylinders. What make model was your v twin ?

My 1st 90° VT was a 72 Duc 750GT (look it up), after rides like my 66 Matchless G12 (upgraded with the CSR 2 into 1 pipes and cams) and 70 Norton 750 Commando (which even with the Isolastic engine mounting still shook loose bolts and fillings no matter how we tried to adjust and replace, though it sounded great and handled well with feable brakes), the Duc 750GT was a revalation!

Never should have sold it...

Since I've had a Honda NT650 Hawk GT (technically not a 90 but with crank pins offset to simulate one) and my current 110,000 mile 98 Honda VTR1000F I've had since new. Which my wife has vowed to set me on in full leathers and full face helmet with dark tinted face shield and cast us together in clear acrylic. I should add that she stated this would be done after I passed on.

here's a descending list of vibrating engine configurations... 
                      Twin.     
                      Triple.

Ah but you leave out the mighty V4, a la Honda's VFR / ST and Aprilla's RSV4 RR. Not to mention the newly deceased Motus machine. 
My ST was smooth and well-damped for vibes.

The RSV4 I tested at Americade was a bit rougher around the edges, but given the frightening acceleration and bodacious braking the sensory overload blocked any notice of vibration.

Where vibes are concerned, I'd place the V4 somewhere between a 3- and 4-cylinder, trending toward 3.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Twin.     
                      Triple.

So yes, a triple vibrates more than an inline 4. That's why inline 4s were so popular. (My 18 year old CBR 600 does 150mph, throttle and engine is smooth as silk, and its been totally reliable, which is why I still ride it) Older bikes also had the benefit of having bugger all emission restrictions to dial out, which I think is the cause of a lot of problems on newer bikes.  Here's the solution though...Go for a ride on a BSA 650 twin with two carbs, (lightning) When you get back on your triple, you won't notice any vibes at all ?
Add inline 6 below inline 4 as the smoothest motor configuration. If you want the smoothest motor, and you've got deep pockets, go buy a BMW K1600.

Ever ride a Goldwing or F6B?

That Honda opposed six is also butter.

How's this Revised list?:

Road drill. [span]    [/span] [span]    [/span][span]    [/span]  Single.
[span]Modified road drill     [/span][span]V [/span]Twin.
[span]Pressure washer[span]    [/span]   [/span]Parallel Twin
[span]Toe tingler    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]   [/span]Triple.
[span]Almost Smooth[span]    [/span][span]     [/span][/span][span]V-4[/span]
Smoooth [span]    [/span][span]  [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]   [/span][/span]In line 4.
[span]Smoother[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [span]    [/span] [/span][/span][span]In line 6.[/span]
[span]Smoothest[span]    [span]    [/span][span]       [/span][/span]Opposed 6.[/span] 

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Ever ride a Goldwing or F6B? 
That Honda opposed six is also butter.

How's this Revised list?:

Road drill. [span]    [/span] [span]    [/span][span]    [/span]  Single.
[span]Modified road drill     [/span][span]V [/span]Twin.
[span]Pressure washer[span]    [/span]   [/span]Parallel Twin
[span]Toe tingler    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]   [/span]Triple.
[span]Almost Smooth[span]    [/span][span]     [/span][/span][span]V-4[/span]
Smoooth [span]    [/span][span]  [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]   [/span][/span]In line 4.
[span]Smoother[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [span]    [/span] [/span][/span][span]In line 6.[/span]
[span]Smoothest[span]    [span]    [/span][span]       [/span][/span]Opposed 6.[/span] 

cb
HA ha, your right there. How ironic. Here's my other other bike..  

20170915-134428.jpg

To replace...

20170426-120014-1541954425221-resized.jpg

Archived