New recalls on Yamaha triples

When I had the bike apart to change the plugs I just unscrewed the nut on the bottom of the clamps and put loctite on it and torqued it back down to spec. Between the locking nut and loctite the bars aren't going anywhere. Maybe i'll do the recall if I have no choice but to leave my bike at a dealership for some reason.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
 When I rotated the risers to move the handlebars forward, it took me about 45 minutes working at a very relaxed pace.
That is a VERY relaxed pace, I hope that included a 30 minute nap!  ;) 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
That is a VERY relaxed pace, I hope that included a 30 minute nap!  ;)

No nap, but it did include a bunch of playing around with handlebar rotation angle and clutch & brake position adjustments, a test ride, and probably a post-project Celebration Ale or two.
I enjoy my time in the shop, and tend to not rush very much...

• 1 month later...
Had new shoes fitted to Dudley today and the Dealer fitted the bar risers from the recall.

The only thing they didn't do, it set it back to the angle of the dangle that it was......so I had to fix that myself when I got home.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

I just picked up my "Brand New" 2015 FJ-09 a couple pf weeks ago and noticed a vibration in the bars about halfway through my 1 hour ride home. I had already planned to move the two handlebar risers 180 degrees to give me 10 more mm forward on the bars. Once I got the bars off, you could wiggle the left side riser with your fingers, yikes! Of course I tightened the nuts below the triple tree (I stupidly didn't use loctite) I contacted the dealer, who one would assume had gotten the recall notice, but he knew nothing about it. Bottom line? Even though it is very difficult to do, check those nuts regularly.

• 7 months later...
I had this recall done at a local dealer. I didn't buy the bike from them, got it used (3300 miles). it took me a while to realize that the bars were not square.
went back to the dealer. they took out a measuring tape and said everything was ok. but they would take it in, pull the front wheel, align the forks and make sure all was straight. would only take an hour, cost their rate at $135.00 US.
I went to a local shop and the tech fixed it in less than 15 minutes. $35.00
if I had read the thread here first I would have done it myself.
word of warning - don't go to this dealer is so cal, del amo motorsports. check out their yelp reviews. across the board terrible.

Before buying my low km XSR900 I had discovered the handlebar recall on a USA website and fortunately it was also on a NZ government website too (NZ is such a small market that not all recalls are activated - know of Toyota recalls in Australia that aren't enacted in NZ).  Mentioned to the seller who contacted the dealer who apparently said; "oops, should have sent you a letter".  So the dealer did the recall fix and I picked up the bike from there.  Another XSR900 owner said he had been called by the same dealer.

• 3 months later...
Hey so I am new to the site, my wife just got a 2018 tracer gt and I will be her liaison for info. I just finished the thread on the handle bars and had a question. I know this bike has a vibration issue, and I have read those threads also. So my question being. Has anyone modified the handle bar post to ride in a dampened grommet. I used to ride Maico 440’s in the day and I know of quite a few other bikes that use this method and just wondered has anybody done it yet, or am I going to be the first?

@polo I can’t remember reading about anyone putting a grommet in. My advice would simply be to let your wife ride the bike for a while before doing anything else.

I certainly wouldn’t say the FJ has a vibration issue. Some people have changed footpegs as there is undoubtably a difference in vibration between a four cylinder engine and a triple, but I changed my pegs as the OEM lacked grip rather than it was vibey.

The same for the bars. Adjusting their position for reach or height is common and I found I got a numb right hand from the position I was riding in, again, rather than it being caused by vibration.

YWMMV, but try before farkling ??

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

OK that obviously sounds like good advice. We havn't ridden enough to get the first oil change yet, but she did notice it right off the bat coming from a Z1000. That is a very smooth bike when it comes to vibration. So far I put bar end weights and removed the hand guards. I think I will try the handle bar position since that's very is easy.

• 1 month later...
You are not alone, although we seem to be a minority. I also always had 4-cyl bikes before, am in the USA and bought this 2016 FZ-09 (MT-09)brand new as left-over 6 months ago. It vibrates anoyingly between 4K and 6K. There is buzz in the bars and mirrors blur, but the main offender is footpeg vibration.

I've done everything could think of; checked throttle bodies synch, engine/foot pegs mounts torque specs, installed rubber-insert pegs, engine guard braces to increase rigidity, loosen the drive chain, heavier bar weights,..boy... what else can I do?? nothing seems to make any difference. I suspect the balance shaft may be a little out of whack in some specimens.

Worse yet....I have a 28-year old Kawasaki with an air cooled four (old KZ750), and this four is truly sweet smooth at any revs, and,.. may I dare saying....., it feels more refined than this much vaunted triple. On the Kawi I need to look at the tach for revs, on the FZ-09 I don't have to, the vibration tells me.

You are not alone, although we seem to be a minority. I also always had 4-cyl bikes before, am in the USA and bought this 2016 FZ-09 (MT-09)brand new as left-over 6 months ago. It vibrates anoyingly between 4K and 6K. There is buzz in the bars and mirrors blur, but the main offender is footpeg vibration.  
I've done everything could think of; checked throttle bodies synch, engine/foot pegs mounts torque specs, installed rubber-insert pegs, engine guard braces to increase rigidity, loosen the drive chain, heavier bar weights,..boy... what else can I do?? nothing seems to make any difference. I suspect the balance shaft may be a little out of whack in some specimens.

Worse yet....I have a 28-year old Kawasaki with an air cooled four (old KZ750), and this four is truly sweet smooth at any revs, and,.. may I dare saying....., it feels more refined than this much vaunted triple. On the Kawi I need to look at the tach for revs, on the FZ-09 I don't have to, the vibration tells me.

The FZ/FJ/XSR (and GT I'm assuming) are all going to have more vibrations than a smooth 4 cylinder... I had a '08 FZ6 that was extremely smooth. I also had a '08 Versys 650 that vibrated like hell... believe it or not the 849cc 3 cylinder is somewhere in between the 2, leaning to the smooth side. Its also the most vibrant when it comes to power delivery as well.. the point here is that it doesn't surprise me that my FJ isn't as smooth as a 4 cylinder but smoother than a 2 cylinder (parrallel twin).

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Thanks dush. I never expected the triple to be as smooth as a four, but did not expect it to vibrate this much either. Then again; never tried a vertical twin. What intrigues me is most owner describes the triple as "...butter smooth", although, a very few, like myself have been disappointed, and most magazine testers do not mention vibration either as penalty, even when comparing it head to head with fours. Are a few triples worse than most? Did I expect too much from a balance shaft??

Archived