New recalls on Yamaha triples

• Supporting Member
it's now totally unsafe to drive and need to trailer the phucking thing to a dealership to sit in their shop until the parts arrive. 
Did your dealer tell you that?  I went in to ask about mine, they said they would order it and let me know when it comes in and I could ride it in at my convenience and they would swap it out for me.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
it's now totally unsafe to drive and need to trailer the phucking thing to a dealership to sit in their shop until the parts arrive. 
Did your dealer tell you that?  I went in to ask about mine, they said they would order it and let me know when it comes in and I could ride it in at my convenience and they would swap it out for me. 

The recall letter states not to ride the bike until parts are replaced. IMHO, up to the rider to make the final decision to ride it or not. The disclaimer in the letter is just to state the legal ramifications to cover Yamaha. Ultimately up to you. So in the unfortunate instance where someone has a failure and is injured,after they received the recall letter and choose to ride the bike with the faulty risers,Yamaha would have , "protection" from law suit. Although I'm sure a good attorney could get around that.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Picked up my bike tonight after having the risers & cct changed out, looked it over and all was good-except....they installed the risers in the wrong position-the forward position. They took it back in the shop & corrected it.

I got mine back from the shop. New risers look more scratched up than the original ones. Handle bars are mounted crooked. I guess I'll loosen everything up, straighten and re-torque it.
I noticed the handlebars on my bike were crooked as well-thought maybe I was imagining it but went back to the shop-had only driven about a 1/4 mile away at the time. They looked at me like I was crazy but it just didn't feel right, and this was after they had to rotate the risers.  The tech says all is correct but went ahead and loosened the nuts on the risers and there isn't much to do by just loosening the nuts.  Re-tightened them and left, figured I wasn't making any progress there.
Today as I rode in to work it is noticeable enough that I will check it out more in depth when time allows.
Found this thread which tells of a simple way to correct the issue:
https://fj-09.org/thread/1424/handlebars-crooked

Update-followed the instructions at the above-mentioned link, except I also slightly loosened the top triple clamp pinch bolts for the fork tubes as well, and was able to get the bars straight as they should be.

WARNING................WARNING.................WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!AND @@#$%^&&*(**(**&

As I reported before, I took my 2015 FJ 09 to the dealer and had the handle bar riser recall completed. On the ride home, I noticed the handle bars were a little crooked, but thought that after nearly 40 years riding, wrenching, racing dirt bikes in my younger years, I should be able to fix it myself.

THE IDIOT SOB AT THE DEALERSHIP DID NOT TORQUE DOWN THE NUTS / BOLTS. They upper clamp bolts were barely hand tight. The lower nuts were actually loose. This is after only 10 mile ride from the dealership.

There are several different problems here, and the recall will not provide a permanent fix. First problem is the stud at the bottom of the bottom riser has a very sloppy fit in the hole through the upper triple clamp. When the nut loosens up, the riser will rock back and forth. My guess is this back and forth motion weakens the metal locking tabs in the lock nut, causing the nut to get even looser. In addition, the aluminum of the riser is so soft, that the contact area of the machined face that mates with the machined face of the upper triple clamp wears over time causing more play and then the mounting bolt/stud to loosen up, causing more wear, and lower bolt / stud gets even looser, and the sloppy fit between the stud and hole in the upper triple clamps gets even sloppier.

My solution was to use non-permanent thread locker on the lower bolt/stud and put a metal washer between the bottom of the riser and upper triple clamp to prevent the soft aluminum mating surfaces from wearing and loosening up. The only problem with this solution is the lower stud is not long enough, only about one thread sticks out beyond the nut, but I have way more faith in thread locker than those lock bolts.

Needless to say, I will be filing a complaint with dealer and Yamaha.

....There a several different problems here, and the recall will not provide a permanent fix. First problem is the stud at the bottom of the bottom riser has a very sloppy fit in the hole through the upper triple clamp. When the nut loosens up, the riser will rock back and forth. My guess is this back and forth motion weakens the metal locking tabs in the lock nut, causing the nut to get even looser. In addition, the aluminum of the riser is so soft, that the contact area of the machined face that mates with the machined face of the upper triple clamp wears over time causing more play and then the mounting bolt/stud to loosen up, causing more wear, and lower bolt / stud gets even looser, and the sloppy fit between the stud and hole in the upper triple clamps gets even sloppier....
You literally just got the recall done, how do you know that this isn't a permanent fix and the all you have stated will come to fruition?

That's kinda scary that all those bolts were loose... I agree that a complaint is in order.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

"You literally just got the recall done, how do you know that this isn't a permanent fix and the all you have stated will come to fruition?"

The stud is too small, too short, too lose fitting. The lock nuts do not lock very well. The aluminum in the riser is too soft and will wear and develop play fairly quickly after locking nuts get loose. This is in addition to the paint coating wearing off the original riser mating surface.

• Premium Member
Has anyone considered an aftermarket replacement for the risers? Just get the stealer out of the loop. Lots of choices available...

Also, same with the CCT. Maybe this will be like the "do-hickey" upgrade so often mentioned on KLR650s.

I understand that these are warranty issues, but when you hear some of these horror stories about dealer techs not even capable of putting risers on, I have little faith of them doing the CCT (or valve check/adjust, etc).

• Premium Member
Had mine done today. Also, new PR4's and an oil and filter change. I got over 14,000 miles out of my last PR 4's. I know I could have gotten another 500 miles out of the tires but I'm not the type to push it to the wear marks. Everything done at the dealers in about two hours. I walked around the showroom drooling over the many brands of bikes. If I could only hit the lottery...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Yep, the handlebar recall applies to Australia. No VIN numbers are published:
www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/browse-all-recalls?source=recalls&f[0]=field_accc_psa_product_category%3A4931

I checked with my dealer, it does apply to my 2016 Australian model, so they ordered the parts, now ready for fitting by them.

Yep, the handlebar recall applies to Australia. No VIN numbers are published: www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/browse-all-recalls?source=recalls&f[0]=field_accc_psa_product_category%3A4931

I checked with my dealer, it does apply to my 2016 Australian model, so they ordered the parts, now ready for fitting by them.
I'll be stuffed if I am letting someone else work on my bike, they couldn't even get the rear wheel straight and the correct chain slack.. I removed my risers and re-loctited the studs. Only one came out though, the other wouldn't budge.

Yep, the handlebar recall applies to Australia. No VIN numbers are published: www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/browse-all-recalls?source=recalls&f[0]=field_accc_psa_product_category%3A4931

I also checked with my dealer - who frankly I wouldn't trust to make me a decent cuppa tea - and he said that my 2016 is [strong]not affected[/strong].   FYI, Robert, my VIN is JYARN29K7GA001087.   Is this anywhere near yours?I picked-up the bike just yesterday, and already I have to take it back tomorrow as the h/bar is not precisely aligned!   When the bike is set to proceed dead ahead the 'bar is skewed slightly - but very obviously - to the right - [em]see pic.[/em]   If I then move the 'bar so that it's all lined-up, bike turns!   [em]Aaaarrrggggghhhhhh![/em][em]
[/em][em]
[/em]
P1030669r.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I also checked with my dealer - who frankly I wouldn't trust to make me a decent cuppa tea - and he said that my 2016 is [strong]not affected[/strong].   FYI, Robert, my VIN is JYARN29K7GA001087.   Is this anywhere near yours?[span]    [/span]
My VIN looks like this  ---------------------> JYARN29K5GA00XXXX

Maybe they've corrected the issue on later production runs ?

Archived