New recalls on Yamaha triples

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks like USA bikes from my google search to find the VIN ranges for the recall but I would double check with your country's safety division for example the NHTSA in the USA...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Capture_2017-05-25-08-32-22.png

XSR900, FZ-09, FJ-09...
Thanks for this.   Just to be on the safe side I've e-mailed Yamaha's Oz HQ to ask. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Yep, the handlebar recall applies to Australia. No VIN numbers are published: www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/browse-all-recalls?source=recalls&f[0]=field_accc_psa_product_category%3A4931

I checked with my dealer, it does apply to my 2016 Australian model, so they ordered the parts, now ready for fitting by them.
I also checked with my dealer - who frankly I wouldn't trust to make me a decent cuppa tea - and he said that my 2016 is [strong]not affected[/strong].   FYI, Robert, my VIN is JYARN29K7GA001087.   Is this anywhere near yours? I picked-up the bike just yesterday, and already I have to take it back tomorrow as the h/bar is not precisely aligned!   When the bike is set to proceed dead ahead the 'bar is skewed slightly - but very obviously - to the right - [em]see pic.[/em]   If I then move the 'bar so that it's all lined-up, bike turns!   [em]Aaaarrrggggghhhhhh![/em][em]
[/em][em]
[/em]

P1030669r.jpg

My handlebar alignment wasn't off as much as what your picture shows but enough that it needed to be corrected. It required loosening the front wheel axle pinch bolt, axle, lower triple clamp bolts as well as slightly loosening the upper triple clamp bolts to get the bars aligned.  Just loosening the nuts on the riser didn't make a difference.

Thanks, xscp.   I took the bike back this morning and the tech checked it out.   He reckons that the display module immediately in front of the h'bar risers was a little misaligned on its rubber supports, so he tightened some screws at the back.   It looked better, but to my ultra-fussy eye still not 100%, and definitely not something I'd noted before on my earlier Tracer, nor acceptable on this one.   I'll get him to do a better job at first service and will give him your words to help him along!
Had a quick reply from Yamaha HQ about the handlebar recall matter - my bike is indeed in the VIN range, but the work was done before the bike was shipped to my dealer a few days ago (or so they say!).

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I did the recall on my FJ-09 today. Relatively easy once you get the 14mm nut of the riser studs under the triple tree.

I removed the studs from the bottom of the risers then use a file to take the paint off the bottom surface. Then put the studs back in with a drop of red Loctite. There was about 20mm of thread engagement into the riser. I torqued the riser bolt nuts to 250 in-lbs (as high as my wrench). Does anyone know the required torque here?

I figure the 45 minutes I spent doing this was way better than the hours I would spend getting my bike to a dealer.

If red Loctite is the permanent kind, and you put a lot on it, good luck getting it off the next time. I use only the non-permanent kind unless the permanent is specified.  Now that you have dried Loctite on the threads, you cannot go by torque specs.

xlxr, I put the Loctite on the stud going into the riser block. and only a drop, in case I ever need to remove it which I don't anticipate ever needing to do. It's the nut under the top triple clamp that gets torqued so I am not affecting torque specs with the Loctite. Thanks anyway.

And thanks for the torque spec piotrek. Someday I'll go back in and snug those up!

XLXR, the studs were not 'tight' in the riser but they weren't really loose either. I did use a small vise-grip to remove them. When you tighten the nut both ends of the studs get the same preload so I wasn't worried about them getting loose. But if (as the recall letter describes) the paint gets worn away between the riser and the triple clamp, the preload in the tightened joint will diminish a lot thus allowing the stud to back out. The nut has a locking feature in it so that probably would never come off the stud on its own.

Guest highplainsrider
I just called the dealer that I purchased my bike from. They said they won't order any parts unless I pay for them up front or drop my bike off and leave it for 1-2 weeks. They said they have been burned too many times before by customers that never came back for the recall work after the dealer ordered the parts. Sounded like B.S. to me so I called Yamaha Corporate and they said that was unacceptable.  First of all, dealers don't have to pay for parts used in a recall. Also, Yamaha doesn't want riders sitting out for one to two weeks during peak riding season any more than the owner does. The customer service rep said the dealers are supposed to order the part and call to schedule to work when the part comes in to minimize down time. 

I'm just going to take the DIY route that other have done and skip the dealership headaches. The bike runs great and everything is setup the way I like it. I just wish that Yamaha was willing to ship the new parts directly to the owner instead of making us gamble with dealership mechanics. 

....The customer service rep said the dealers are supposed to order the part and call to schedule to work when the part comes in to minimize down time.

This is exactly how my dealership handled the recall. I would definitely not take my bike to a dealer that tries to tell you to pay for recall work... what a joke.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Most of the time ( and recently just after the recall service work done by the dealer) I get via e-mail a Survey from Yamaha asking me how the service dept. at my dealership handled my service work. I filled out the survey, which in my case I gave my dealership high marks as they have been great with me. For my time, Yamaha offered me one of three choices of coupons to use. I have in the past filled out surveys before from Yamaha. My point is, Yamaha does listen to customers. IMHO if a Dealership is jerking you around for something as simple as this last recall, I would take the issue up with the manager and make it clear that not only will they lose a customer over this but Yamaha will hear about it as well. You know sometimes peoples mouths are in gear before their brains are and that's why you sometimes have to talk to the head and not the feet. Yamaha doesn't need bad dealers. It's just bad for all involved.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I have rung my local dealer and they have already responded advising they have ordered the parts and they will contact me once they are in to book the bike in.

The guys I am going to, I buy and have fit all my tires (and on the last fitting they complimented me on how well looked after my bike is).
Hopefully, they do the job with the level of attention to detail that Karl & I put in.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
I called my dealer and they have ordered my parts, hoping they come soon.

Dealer said they would do this while I wait, I told him that would likely get them some money, as I'm sure I'll find something I can't live without in the 30 minutes it takes them to remediate the handlebar issue

Archived