Cracked Side Panel Survey

I am currently doing battle with Yamaha USA in an attempt to get them to replace both of my side panels which are cracked. I'm trying to gather info on just how many of us are experiencing the broken panels. If anyone is interested please take the time to respond to this thread in order to provide me with some ammo. If I am successful in my endeavors it may benefit others who have previously been denied.

I plan on going as high up in Yamaha's chain of command as necessary until I get some satisfaction.  The customer service rep, Raymond, that I spoke to today was already caught in and called out on a lie he told me.  I want to gather up as many comments as I can from the Forum to submit as proof that there was a design flaw in the earlier bikes as far as the panels go.

Again, if interested please respond to this thread with your situation.  Wish me luck folks!
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cracked on my '15... unless your bike is still under warranty, you probably won't get any traction because it is not considered a safety hazard. I wish you luck however.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Guest reeseyboy
I'm on my 3rd set. Have had the seat in both the high and low positions, still cracked. Even the "revised" design cracked. All have been replaced under warranty - March 2015 bike. 

Question? Does your bike have the little black step tray under the seat to give the seat rubber tabs to sit on? Mine was missing, it was in the dealership extra parts pile... If that tray is missing I could forsee the seat riding on the side panels??
Capture_2017-05-05-01-34-01.png

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I only have 1k miles on my '16 and so far no cracking. I have the low seat in the low position. Will keep an eye on things.

Chadman http://www.twistypedia.com
The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

• Premium Member
IMHO the seat and it's mounting design was made as. cheaply as Yamaha could get away with. The cracked side panels just reflects a poor design.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Yes, my bike does have the black tray you are referring to.  I believe that is necessary for the seat to be in the high position.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Mine were cracked... never pursued with Yamaha (don't enjoy contact time with dealers). Easily fixed with epoxy and a Dremel type tool.
That's probably what I'll have to end up doing but the Yamaha rep I talked to yesterday pissed me off so much that it has now become personal. My dealer couldn't apologize enough.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Both sides cracked on mine.yamaha replaced with newer versions. At first Yamaha declined and said this was the first time they heard of issues and it was probably the seat installed wrong by me, I told them then why did they redesign new version. Then they said they would replace at no cost to me. Dealer replaced.

I only have 1k miles on my '16 and so far no cracking. I have the low seat in the low position. Will keep an eye on things.

How comfortable is the low seat? Could you do an all day ride on it?

Archived