Cracked Side Panel Survey

I've got around 3K on my '15 FJ-09 and so far no cracks.  But I just set the seat to the lower position this past weekend and will check the side panels after a few rides to see if cracks are developing.  At this point I am thinking I will simply take a dremel tools to the panels, cutting the top edge to match the part on newer models.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Yes both mine cracked when the bike was 3 months old. Went round and round with Yamaha USA and no luck. My dealer replaced them on his dime. I tried to speak with a "supervisor" but the smart ass that I talked to wouldn't transfer me. For some strange reason every time I called I got the same guy. He kept saying that he was a supervisor and that he could help me.... the only thing he help me with was losing my temper. I got the same line about not hearing of the problem before too. What really made me mad was when I called them back to tell them that my dealer was going to replace the panels, surprise surprise, I got the same guy again (Tim), he said "if you're getting them fixed, why did you call us?". That's when I lost my religion..... Good Luck and if you talk to tim tell him I said he can %$#@ his mother.

Let’s go Brandon

Yes both mine cracked when the bike was 3 months old. Went round and round with Yamaha USA and no luck. My dealer replaced them on his dime. I tried to speak with a "supervisor" but the smart ass that I talked to wouldn't transfer me. For some strange reason every time I called I got the same guy. He kept saying that he was a supervisor and that he could help me.... the only thing he help me with was losing my temper. I got the same line about not hearing of the problem before too. What really made me mad was when I called them back to tell them that my dealer was going to replace the panels, surprise surprise, I got the same guy again (Tim), he said "if you're getting them fixed, why did you call us?". That's when I lost my religion..... Good Luck and if you talk to tim tell him I said he can %$#@ his mother.
Sounds pretty much like my situation except my guys name is Raymond.  Obviously one thing Yamaha is good at is training its employees. 
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
I only have 1k miles on my '16 and so far no cracking. I have the low seat in the low position. Will keep an eye on things.
How comfortable is the low seat? Could you do an all day ride on it?
Hard to say. I'm commuting on mine, about an hour each way, and that's totally fine. It doesn't really feel any less padded than the original seat, although it must be to be lower. To be honest, it's only marginally lower than the original seat. I've swapped between the two a few times and there's effectively no difference to me. Had I known the difference was so slight, I would have skipped the lowered seat.

Chadman http://www.twistypedia.com
The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

OK everybody, I heard back from a supervisor at Yamaha.  They have agreed to replace one of my panels with me paying for the other one.  Their reason for not covering them completely was that if they paid for mine everyone would expect their cracked panels to be replaced.  Welcome to the way of doing business circa 2017.  Never mind the fact that your design was flawed.  I'm not wasting anymore time on this, I plan on just gluing my panels then dremmeling them out.  This will be the last Yamaha product I buy.  I refuse to give any more money to a company that supports their products in such a shitty manner.  It might be time to try out a Harley.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

OK everybody, I heard back from a supervisor at Yamaha.  They have agreed to replace one of my panels with me paying for the other one.  Their reason for not covering them completely was that if they paid for mine everyone would expect their cracked panels to be replaced.  Welcome to the way of doing business circa 2017.  Never mind the fact that your design was flawed.  I'm not wasting anymore time on this, I plan on just gluing my panels then dremmeling them out.  This will be the last Yamaha product I buy.  I refuse to give any more money to a company that supports their products in such a shetty manner.  It might be time to try out a Harley.
Although I fully understand your frustration, no company will pay for that out of warranty. Its not safety related so there is no legal reason to have to pay for the repair, therefore they aren't going to pay for it. Especially on the US.

Yamaha makes great products especially motorcycles, which are regularly rated among the most reliable motorcycles. To each their own, but to cut them off for some plastic that cracked and isn't even noticeable with the seat installed is a bit drastic.

On a different note, glad you got a little traction and got half the repair covered.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
OK everybody, I heard back from a supervisor at Yamaha.  They have agreed to replace one of my panels with me paying for the other one.  Their reason for not covering them completely was that if they paid for mine everyone would expect their cracked panels to be replaced.  Welcome to the way of doing business circa 2017.  Never mind the fact that your design was flawed.  I'm not wasting anymore time on this, I plan on just gluing my panels then dremmeling them out.  This will be the last Yamaha product I buy.  I refuse to give any more money to a company that supports their products in such a shetty manner.  It might be time to try out a Harley.
Although I fully understand your frustration, no company will pay for that out of warranty. Its not safety related so there is no legal reason to have to pay for the repair, therefore they aren't going to pay for it. Especially on the US.  
Yamaha makes great products especially motorcycles, which are regularly rated among the most reliable motorcycles. To each their own, but to cut them off for some plastic that cracked and isn't even noticeable with the seat installed is a bit drastic.

On a different note, glad you got a little traction and got half the repair covered.
So the Yamaha rep lost a customer who may have purchased some more motorcycles but at least he saved the company a couple a bucks on a side panel.  :-/
BLB

• Premium Member
My bike was A few months old when I found my cracked panels. Definitely not out of the warranty period and Yamaha wouldn't replace them.

Let’s go Brandon

• 6 months later...

Archived