Cracked Side Panel Survey

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dealer replaced my side covers under warranty;  I provided the new part numbers to my dealer based on info in this forum.    The new parts cost about $45 in total and are:

COVER, SIDE 1
2PP-24129-01-00 (replaces 2PP-24129-00-00)

COVER, SIDE 2
2PP-24139-01-00 (replaces 2PP-24139-00-00)

At $45 for parts, this did not break the bank for Yamaha and they should rightfully replace the side covers as it is a design defect.

One of my side covers (left side) was very badly cracked (@ 5,000 miles) and the right side was not yet cracked but had indentation marks on it from the seat resting on it so it would have cracked soon.   My seat is in the low position.  I do have the plastic seat base installed and I make sure the seat tongue is properly inserted in the gas tank bracket.  The notch in the redesigned side cover part should prevent the seat from contacting the side covers in the future, which was the root cause of the crack.

On different rides, I have had many compliments about the preciseness of the side covers and that they look cool.

Both of mine are cracked but only in the last 6 months. I've put some tape around them to hold them but not really bothered as you can't see it.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

I just saw this thread yesterday so i checked my bike last night as i was prepping it for winter storage. MY 2016 has 2,713 miles on it and no cracks yet. I wonder if having an aftermarket seat on it makes any difference or is it generally random? I've only owned the bike for a couple months and put 900 miles on it. I use the low seating position but the previous owner had it set in the high position. He also added some pvc tubing between the frame and the height adjustment bracket to boost it another 3/8" higher. I wonder if this was help prevent cracking or perhaps he was just really tall. 

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

• Premium Member
I just saw this thread yesterday so i checked my bike last night as i was prepping it for winter storage. MY 2016 has 2,713 miles on it and no cracks yet. I wonder if having an aftermarket seat on it makes any difference or is it generally random? I've only owned the bike for a couple months and put 900 miles on it. I use the low seating position but the previous owner had it set in the high position. He also added some pvc tubing between the frame and the height adjustment bracket to boost it another 3/8" higher. I wonder if this was help prevent cracking or perhaps he was just really tall. 

Mine cracked with the stock seat.

Let’s go Brandon

@metallion I think the '16s and newer have an updated side panel with 2 cutouts where the seat would otherwise contact the panels

Mine have been cracked for over a year... I never did anything to correct it and the cracks have not grown.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived