New suspension on 2017 FZ09 but not FJ

So I was in yamaha dealer getting my recall done and was looking at the latest fz09 and fj09 and noticed the fz has newer improved suspension but not on the fj, it seems silly of Yamaha not to have the better updated suspension on both models as they are almost the same bike.

thats my rant over with.

From what I understood, the original FZ-09 suspension was crap, and it was updated to match the better one found in the FJ-09, hence why the FJ-09 didn't get a new suspension in MY 2017. But I could be wrong.
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

I put a Penske 8983 in my bike , it made a big difference.
I was looking at upgrades but don't want to spend 2-3k. Would look at other bikes instead that already have better suspension and brakes. (i cant stop looking at new street triple RS) Maybe I need to loss a few pounds and be happy with stock suspension. Still think it would be better for Yamaha to have all same upgrades on FZ,FZ and XSR each year. 

• Supporting Member
I upgraded to the exact same shock, yes indeed, it was a VERY nice improvement.  I hated the stock shock but surprisingly I find the stock forks adequate for now.  Upgraded cartridges going in soon.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I don't mean to go against the grain. But my Sargent seat is a disappiontment. I can't for the world of under stand why there is a seam going right under ones butt? I feel it constantly and it leaves a mark on my skin through my pants. Second, it's really hard to the touch. When I press my thumb into the stock seat it has more cushion. My Sargent cover is streched so tight I can hardly feel the padding underneath. The extra wide support area of the seat does pick up a little more hip weight. But, this pocket traps you in it and prevents agressive riding as you can't slide your butt over this edge. I have to slide all the way forward to ride agressive and to slide around. Since I bought this bike to be a hooligan I spend very little time in the seat pocket except if I slide back for weight transfer to do wheelies. I bought the seat just before winter and the 60 day trial period expired before I could test it. If you use the FJ-09 for distance or touring there might be some advantage. I only blast for a couple of hours at a time and this seat interferes with my sport riding control. If someone wants to buy mine I'll sell it for 1/2 price plus shipping. Pm me if interested.

I was looking at upgrades but don't want to spend 2-3k. Would look at other bikes instead that already have better suspension and brakes. (i cant stop looking at new street triple RS) Maybe I need to loss a few pounds and be happy with stock suspension. Still think it would be better for Yamaha to have all same upgrades on FZ,FZ and XSR each year.
The Penske cost around $800 and I put the shock in my self. It was worth every penny, I had it built for my weight and riding style at Traxxion . I really feel the difference during long rides when the bike is all loaded down, it's so easy to adjust for the extra weight plus the spring they put in it is perfect for my fat ass.

I'm fine with the suspension on the FJ09. It's way better than my FZ6 I traded in. I would like cruise control though. 

Maybe you should look into a Kaoko Throttle lock , I have one on my bike it works great.

Different products are produced and updated in cycles. The entire production run of 2017 FJ-09s might have been completed before they ever started the 2017 FZ-09s. The 2016 XSR900 debuted the slipper clutch and 2-mode traction control and the FJ-09 and FZ-09 didn't get those until this model year.

The 2017 XSR900 didn't get the FZ's improved suspension either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2017 FZ-09s revised suspension make its debut on the FJ and XSR next year.

I never really understood the complaints about the suspension. Bike was definitely too soft and bouncy when I picked it up from the dealer, but a bumping up the pre-load and rebound on both ends took care of that. I've never owned a bike with what experts would consider really good suspension, so maybe I just don't understand how good suspension feels, but that said, I think there might be too much of a propensity for people to have confirmation bias after spending $1500+ upgrading it to trust reports of how it made a huge difference to the bike.

Different products are produced and updated in cycles. The entire production run of 2017 FJ-09s might have been completed before they ever started the 2017 FZ-09s. The 2016 XSR900 debuted the slipper clutch and 2-mode traction control and the FJ-09 and FZ-09 didn't get those until this model year. 
The 2017 XSR900 didn't get the FZ's improved suspension either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2017 FZ-09s revised suspension make its debut on the FJ and XSR next year.

I never really understood the complaints about the suspension. Bike was definitely too soft and bouncy when I picked it up from the dealer, but a bumping up the pre-load and rebound on both ends took care of that. I've never owned a bike with what experts would consider really good suspension, so maybe I just don't understand how good suspension feels, but that said, I think there might be too much of a propensity for people to have confirmation bias after spending $1500+ upgrading it to trust reports of how it made a huge difference to the bike.

I agree 100%. If you can already drag peg on the street do you really need to spend $1500 on new suspension? My FJ09 has way better suspension than my FZ6 did and I had no problems dragging the pegs on it.

I went with @pattonme's cartridges and Norwest's shock more for comfort than performance. The stock suspension wasn't bad for me but definitely could be improved. I spent less than $750 all in for rebuilt shock and cartridge upgrade so I feel like that's a bargain. Now to install it and see if it was monet well spent.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I've never owned a bike with what experts would consider really good suspension, so maybe I just don't understand how good suspension feels,
I'm not sure what type of a rider you are, aggressive, commuter, tourer etc. but do yourself a favor, ride a bike with professionally setup suspension to see the difference.  I ride with different groups and we routinely swap bikes during road trips, I have ridden a few that within 1/10th of a mile you could already feel like one with the bike, pushing hard through the first flowing corner and I was literally giggling in my helmet at how sweet the bike handled. 
Same thing when I had "GP Suspension" set up my FZ1, first ride in the twisties and I was shaking my head in amazement at the transformation.  Properly setup suspension is the first thing I do to all of my bikes, street or dirt.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Being used to cutting edge sportbikes, the FJs suspension was a let down at first, though far better than the '15 FZ09 I also demo rode. Setting the sag properly helped, but I still planned on an upgraded shock and forks. Until I changed the tires. Ditching the crap Dunlops that came on the bike made a huge difference in front end feel. Next I lowered the front 5mm. Those two changes have made a world of difference, for me, and suspension work got bumped way down the list.

Everyone's experience and expectations are different, and the FJ9's suspension is definitely not top notch. But it's perfectly serviceable for the bike's expected mission with proper setup and decent tires. Would it be way to flaccid on the track? Sure... but I don't ride it on the track. Would throwing $3k at the suspension improve it? Sure... and I may get around to that... someday. For now, I'll just enjoy riding it and spend the $$ on other projects.

The biggest thing on my list for updates is cruise control and multi-level traction control, which hopefully will be adaptable to the earlier bikes. A slipper clutch wouldn't hurt, and I think that can be done with the XSR parts.

Archived