First real ride on the FJ

mangosmoothie

I crossed 1k miles not long ago, so I took it to the twistys to get some seat time and see how it really feels. The only other bike I have to compare it to is my '99 speed triple. 

much quieter in all apects. Exhaust, engine, wind. It's great

Turn in a lot better, it's easier to adjust lines, and easier to trail brake. 

It's a freaking missile from 70-100 in 4th. Most of my ride on the twisties was in 4th gear from 60 mph up. Most of the corners were 35-45 mph suggested. I had no problems with head shake on acceleration out. I also never saw tc kick in. The dunlop tires impressed me. Getting off the bike was a little different, but I got used it it quickly.

speed triple is faster in the lower rpms (like 4-6.5k) but just keep the FJ in a lower gear, and it's definitely faster. Very very happy with how the FJ is geared.

Also never drug pegs or hard parts, which I was mildly worried about. Suspension is bone stock and I haven't touched it. I'm 130 lbs with no gear, and it seems about right. I'll check/set the sag soon. 

I did have head shake issues when passing cars. In 3rd or 4th, if got over a lane and nailed it before the bike was pointed straight, it got a little sketchy. My speed triple did the same exact thing, so I'm used to it. I think that might be as much rider stupidity as it is bike setup/geometry.

I was not babying this thing, and it never failed to impress me. 

AppdD8h.jpg 

• Supporting Member
Your rear tire looks like mine, it sounds like you ride it like I do as well. I changed the front sprocket down 1 tooth to a 15T and it revs up just a little quicker, I like it as I enjoy quicker acceleration over top speed. Even with the modified gearing the motor still pulls forever in each gear.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

...I did have head shake issues when passing cars. In 3rd or 4th, if got over a lane and nailed it before the bike was pointed straight, it got a little sketchy....

Pretty sure that's the front wheel trying to come up... not full on wheelie, but definitely getting very light.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Yea...I get a little head shake around 8.5-9k RPMs, it's more noticeable when going uphill...but then again it's only at them RPMS and speeds above 110... hopefully the Higdonion cage will keep the front end from feeling light at them RPMs... the FJ wants to achieve takeoff, silly bike your not an airplane ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

...I did have head shake issues when passing cars. In 3rd or 4th, if got over a lane and nailed it before the bike was pointed straight, it got a little sketchy....
Pretty sure that's the front wheel trying to come up... not full on wheelie, but definitely getting very light.

Yeah I'm sure. I need to be more careful because when I went over a dip she started shaking a little bit.

Pretty sure that's the front wheel trying to come up... not full on wheelie, but definitely getting very light. So lean back and let that bitch come up :)

Out here in southern MO we have lots of "whoops" with the rolling hill. I hit them 90-100mph in 4th, lean back and ride the wheelie over the hill. Its only sketchy when I don't lean back enough or don't carry enough speed to fully pick the front end up.

'15 FJ09

So lean back and let that bitch come up :) 
Out here in southern MO we have lots of "whoops" with the rolling hill. I hit them 90-100mph in 4th, lean back and ride the wheelie over the hill. Its only sketchy when I don't lean back enough or don't carry enough speed to fully pick the front end up.

Where you at? I was rolling through potosi/bixby yesterday

So lean back and let that bitch come up :) 
Where you at? I was rolling through potosi/bixby yesterday
Rolla! 
My normal route runs through Bixby.

'15 FJ09

Archived