Touring/Camping

Hi all,

I've done a bit of camping on the FJ-09, and a reasonable amount of touring where I stayed in hotels or with relatives. This has been an awful lot of fun, but I've always found I struggle getting enough gear packed on to the bike. When I do put a bit of stuff on board, I always worry about how it's tied down. 

I've got the stock saddlebags, from Yamaha, that came with the bike here in Aus. I can get a fair amount in them, and I'm not really worried about them, it's when I start strapping everything else on that it gets concerning. Last time I went camping, I had a tent and sleeping bag, strapped down with rigid straps. Throw some bumpy roads at them, and things got a little awkward. I never really felt comfortable giving it a real go, because I was concerned about things slipping off the back.

I was wondering what you guys use for fixing points when carrying a bit of gear. The top of the saddle bags aren't particularly flat, and it's pretty tough to tie things down to them. I haven't got a rear plate, and have historically just strapped things to the rear passenger seat. Do I fit some fixing points to the saddle bags, using rubber grommets for rainproofing? Are there other options?

Thoughts?

The passenger grab rails are particularly sturdy on this bike. I feel like you could strap some serious shit down, maybe even with a ratchet strap, and then bomb some twisties.

I usually use my top case for smaller bags, then strap down my tent, duffel bag, sleeping bag, etc. using a cargo net on the rear seat. Although, now that I think about it, I'm not too worried about it flying away because it sits back against the top case.

I also don't ride very aggressively when I'm loaded down... My friends say I have a bad case of pussitis.

Yeah, I've strapped to the grab rails before, and they feel quite sturdy, but they're side/side rather than front/back, and I feel like it's at the rear that I need some support. I have, in the past, used a tarpaulin over the whole lot, looped under the load at the rear, and relied on that to keep things sturdy, but it's not the most reliable method, and involves a flapping, annoying tarp.

Maybe a duffel bag is the ticket, a large-ish one that I can throw things in, and then just worry about strapping one thing down.

I've done the duffle bag before with my first bike, a Honda CB500X. 50 liter waterproof duffle, strapped pillion with a cam strap to grab handles and frame. Camped a weeklong solo trip hitting twisties, max speed straights, rain/snow/wind, no problems. It's an awesome way to go if your cases can't hold everything.

I just did 1900km with the stock panniers, a Kappa K47 top case and a dry bag (20 litre)
on the seat, strapped to the grab rails with one Rok strap.
The top box prevents any aft movement.

Those Rok straps are fantastic ! Far superior to ocky straps.

Did the Summerland Way, Bruxner, Gwydir and Oxley highways, that should say enough about bumpy roads, speed and twisties.
Solid as a rock, now the suspension is dialed in..

P_20170516_132629_HDR_zpsqlf0mlbc.jpg

https://www.evanscycles.com/ortlieb-rack-pack-travel-bag-large-EV187641

http://www.rokstraps.com/moto.html

Hi micmacimus, the above links are what i use for camping gear, i can fit a tent, sleeping bag, chair,small cooking set and pillow/ sleeping thermals.

i have used this set up on different bikes and on some very rough roads with out any mishaps with the bag coming loose.

The FJ pillon seat is a good base for carrying.

I use these from Alpkit, they have a range of sizes. They are cheap and have strapping points on them, which you can thread rok straps through. They even have a shoulder strap for carrying at the other end of your trip. I put the roc straps on the passenger hand rails.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra-65-litre

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
Here are a couple pictures of my FJ on 2 different road trips. The last one was 2,000+ miles and the other was over 3,000 miles.

The picture in front of the Barber sign. Has the basic load out.

Cortech tank and tailbags the Yamaha side cases and my new enduristan medium dry bag. For this trip in mild weather the side cases were half empty. Some spare clothes which I never used and just some tools.

The other picture has the same load out except the dry bag is an old Seattle sports dry bag approximately 50L.

Using backpacking equipment you could very easily take plenty comfy camping gear. With this setup 7ac8c9f987cc029310bb9841d6ccdf6b.jpgf326aba7514e93fb07125cf88fca54f8.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Having a topbox certainly helps with the stability thing.

Try a large dry bag (SW-Motech 45lt) heavy duty with lugs for tying down.
I also throw a stretchy cargo net over the top and it's worked well in the past.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Thanks for the ideas all! I'll pick up a duffle/dry bag, and some of those Rok straps, before my next camping trip.

I dont particularly want to put a top case on, unless I'm carrying enough gear to justify it. Call me vain, but I don't love how they look.

Archived