Stock suspension settings for heavier riders

suitedsevens

I finally got my tool kit that the dealership forgot to include with my bike and I'm excited to finally be able to dial in the suspension. I'm about 270lbs (122kg) fully geared up and I'm curious what other guys in this range are running for their settings. Thanks.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I weigh 270 lbs in gear, and that is about the upper limit of what the stock suspension will support. But it depends on what your expectations are. First step is setting close to max preload on forks and shock to get rider sag 1/3 to 1/4 total travel. Then experiment with fork compression dampening, even with a lot of dampening dialed in, you will probably still have a lot of fork dive. Then try to minimize fork rebound dampening, test ride, repeat as need till you find what works best for you. Repeat with the shock. Be aware that chassis pitch has a big effect on stability. This bike tends to get into wobbles at high speeds if the front end is too high, rear too low. I could never get the stock suspension good enough for me and got Ohlins revalved by Norwest Suspension.

Sorry, but I don't remember specific settings, except never could get stock suspension good enough for me. There are other threads with better information on stock settings.

the stock suspension is targeted at 150-170lb rider. 200lb rider is pushing it. 240 you're way outside the range especially on fork springs. You can get springs for $90, a bottle of oil for $15 and a resprung rear shock with Terry's magic touch for about $350.

Stoltec or myself can help/give you further pointers.

the stock suspension is targeted at 150-170lb rider. 200lb rider is pushing it. 240 you're way outside the range especially on fork springs. You can get springs for $90, a bottle of oil for $15 and a resprung rear shock with Terry's magic touch for about $350. 
Stoltec or myself can help/give you further pointers.

I'm definitely going to upgrade at some point but just want to dial it in a bit better for now.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights

Might be a really stupid question but how the hell do you adjust the front preload? Manual doesn't really make it very clear.

Might be a really stupid question but how the hell do you adjust the front preload? Manual doesn't really make it very clear.
Look at the area where the forks appear to extend up out of the top triple clamp.  Unless it's already adjusted to max preload, you'll see lines machined into the tube.  Mine had like 5 or 6 lines showing. 
The small (14mm if I recall correctly) nut on top is the adjuster.  Turn it clockwise to increase preload.  As you turn the nut, the portion of the fork extending above the top clamp is screwed down into the fork housing, increasing preload on the springs.  Just make sure you have the same number of lines showing on both sides.

I'm 220+ in full gear and with the stock springs at full preload (no lines showing) the front sag is still out of spec.  I need to get higher rated springs but I don't want to lose the riding time right now so I'll make it a winter project.

Look at the area where the forks appear to extend up out of the top triple clamp.  Unless it's already adjusted to max preload, you'll see lines machined into the tube.  Mine had like 5 or 6 lines showing. 
The small (14mm if I recall correctly) nut on top is the adjuster.  Turn it clockwise to increase preload.  As you turn the nut, the portion of the fork extending above the top clamp is screwed down into the fork housing, increasing preload on the springs.  Just make sure you have the same number of lines showing on both sides.

I'm 220+ in full gear and with the stock springs at full preload (no lines showing) the front sag is still out of spec.  I need to get higher rated springs but I don't want to lose the riding time right now so I'll make it a winter project.

Awesome thanks got the front maxed out. Next stupid question, how do you adjust the rear? I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to spin it in the A direction.

Edit: Nevermind I got it. Just kinda awkward at first. Got the front and rear preload maxed with dampening maxed -2 on the front and the rear maxed -1/2 turn gonna give it a test ride

I weight 85KG \\ 190 lbs and in order to get right SAG I had to max front preload (4mm) and to soften rear preload to 2nd position. Am I the only one with those numbers, seems everyone my weight is setting their suspension to ( 10mm -14mm front and 5-6 position on rear shock). did I miss something?

Thanks for answers in advance!

190lbs without gear but I intend to lose 10lbs anyway :) so my sag on front is around 41-42mm which i think should be allright.

But I'm more suprised with rear shock, in order to got it to ~39mm sag I had to set preload on second softest position. Seems like everyone else with similar weight is setting theirs alot harder 5-6 position . If I use 5 or 6 i get 25mm or less of sag.

My tracer is 2015 model year if that helps exlpain anything.

Thanks!

it still surprises me that an 200lbs or over person is to heavy for stock suspension, how is that possible when bike is made for 2 up and rated to approx 400lbs limit. I will be doing what others like piotrek and pattonme recommended and hope i can get it better for under $500 for front and then look at rear. One thing to look at for my next bike is better parts/setup for my weight (or lose some, yeah right)

it still surprises me that an 200lbs or over person is to heavy for stock suspension, how is that possible when bike is made for 2 up and rated to approx 400lbs limit. I will be doing what others like piotrek and pattonme recommended and hope i can get it better for under $500 for front and then look at rear. One thing to look at for my next bike is better parts/setup for my weight (or lose some, yeah right)
I rode with another FJ yesterday, and the fellow brought his wife along and rode 2-up. They both looked pretty lightweight, so it is 2-up capable for people like that (they were happy with the experience), but I agree... the bike overall falls short of the marketing message. What else is new. You hit that ~400lbs load limit pretty quickly with two full sized fully-clad NA adults... add some bags and the whole assembly (and handling) becomes rather porky. 
BTW, after a 1,200kms of riding the bike since I did the forks... I swear by the setup... $160 in parts and ~4h worth of work (nice and easy).

I for sure will be trying your approach piotrek, but i dont have the skills to do the work so prob have to pay mechanic hence my $500 budget. For example and compare I rode the the street triple RS over the weekend and i must admit the not quite 3k price over the FJ09 make the ST even seem a better deal over the FJ09 comparing the quality of parts. 

Archived