Stock suspension settings for heavier riders

suitedsevens

I'm pushing 290 lbs and tried to get the front end to function with stock components to no avail. At full preload (to get the right amount of sag) and the bike took potholes like a K5 Blazer with steel bars for shocks. I bought the heaviest off-the-shelf springs Sonic Springs had to offer (1.1kg/mm) and now things are MUCH better.  The bike floats over crappy road I ride on every day, in comparison to what it was. I suggest any big fella get on the phone with your favorite fork spring provider and get yourself properly suspended, at least as far as front spring rate is concernd. Pretty cheap too (~$90).
Now on to getting a shock.....

Could there be anything wrong if I MAX out the front preload in order to get almost perfect SAG? I mean can I damage springs or anything? I read that front of Tracer is really light, so if I set correct SAG that means I have to max preload which means I will lift front of the bike and make it even lighter.

Yesterday I tried to set preload from 14mm (55mm sag) to 7mm (45mm sag) and riding was alot more comftable + better handling at higher speeds 80mph+.

Please correct me if I'm wrong , I really dont wanna lose control of the bike :)
There is no problem with setting max preload.  However, if the spring is too weak, max preload may give something close to correct rider sag, but the forks will still bottom out because spring rate is still too low.  Increasing preload does not increase spring rate. 
Chassis pitch is the next thing to look at.  Front end too high and/or rear to low, tends to make the front end too light and tend to cause wobbles at higher speeds.   To far in the opposite direction can also cause instability. 

Increasing oil height in the forks can help minimize bottoming out of the forks, but can only do so much if spring is too weak for rider weight. 

There is a lot of information about how to adjust suspension available on the internet these days.  Keep reading up until you understand how all the different factors work together.  Problem with that approach, is too much conflicting information, so keep test riding and making adjustments until you understand how they all work together and find out what works best for you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Anyone who thinks stock suspension is good for 250 lb riders has very low expectations for suspension. I consider stock suspension unbearable for my 270 lbs. However, I have been riding nearly 40 years and used to race dirt bikes, and have had custom suspensions for all my bikes for the last few decades. If you ever ride a bike with truly good suspension, you will never again be happy with anything less.
I guess I low expectations :)  275lbs running with stock, ATTGATT and hard bags.

Anyone who thinks stock suspension is good for 250 lb riders has very low expectations for suspension. I consider stock suspension unbearable for my 270 lbs. However, I have been riding nearly 40 years and used to race dirt bikes, and have had custom suspensions for all my bikes for the last few decades. If you ever ride a bike with truly good suspension, you will never again be happy with anything less.
I guess I low expectations :)  275lbs running with stock, ATTGATT and hard bags.
I didn't mention any names.   If you live in South California and want to do a side by side comparison, let me know.  Be warned, it may end up costing you a bunch of money. 

I finally got my tool kit that the dealership forgot to include with my bike and I'm excited to finally be able to dial in the suspension. I'm about 270lbs (122kg) fully geared up and I'm curious what other guys in this range are running for their settings. Thanks.
You need an aftermarket shock and fork cartridge with for your bike to manage your weight. 
If you do upgrade your suspension, and you've never done it before, you're going to have an awakening to how a bike should feel and you'll likely be cursing yourself for not setting up every bike you've ever owned with proper suspension.

Do it, do it now.  You won't regret it.

• Supporting Member
If you do upgrade your suspension, and you've never done it before, you're going to have an awakening to how a bike should feel and you'll likely be cursing yourself for not setting up every bike you've ever owned with proper suspension. 
Do it, do it now.  You won't regret it.
I have to agree with this 100%.  If you have never had your suspension specifically setup for YOU, you might be shocked at just how good a bike can feel and handle.  Its the first thing I get setup on all of my bikes, street or dirt. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I absolutely recommend heavier forks springs if you have to jack the preload up past the last two lines to get the correct sag. I'm pushing 300 lbs in gear and I had to max out my preload to get the sag right and it was a pretty harsh ride. I'm pretty sure the target rider weight the stock suspension was set up for was around 160lbs.  Anyway, $85 bucks and a call to Sonic Springs got me 1.1kg/mm springs that I only have to preload with 4.5 lines left to set up the sag. The result was a terrific improvement on my ride over the crappy road I commute on every day.  In 35 years of riding, I don't think I have done a single thing that had as dramatic of an improvement in a bike's suspension. Installation is pretty easy if you get the fairly cheap tool. It took me about 30 minutes. 

TLDR: If you are heavy, get some springs, pronto.

Oops, ok so I posted on this here the other day... 

I guess I'm gonna look into replacing springs and such. I do agree that it is pretty essential. Just didn't wanna do any heavy modifying right away I just wanna ride!
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

I absolutely recommend heavier forks springs if you have to jack the preload up past the last two lines to get the correct sag. I'm pushing 300 lbs in gear and I had to max out my preload to get the sag right and it was a pretty harsh ride. I'm pretty sure the target rider weight the stock suspension was set up for was around 160lbs.  Anyway, $85 bucks and a call to Sonic Springs got me 1.1kg/mm springs that I only have to preload with 4.5 lines left to set up the sag. The result was a terrific improvement on my ride over the crappy road I commute on every day.  In 35 years of riding, I don't think I have done a single thing that had as dramatic of an improvement in a bike's suspension. Installation is pretty easy if you get the fairly cheap tool. It took me about 30 minutes.  
TLDR: If you are heavy, get some springs, pronto.

Oops, ok so I posted on this here the other day... 

So you just swapped the springs only? I have never messed with suspension components before. It sounds like I might wanna go the same route you did, usually ride with at least my side bags which puts me close to 300 pounds. 
Edit: Also might I ask what tool this is you speak of? Thank you.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Premium Member
OK, I'm going to get 1.0 kg springs, play with the preload and add a bit of oil but how much oil, and do I really need to shave the preload spacer as Patton said? I'll buy the right OEM fork cartridge and cap from someone who replaced theirs; PM me if you'll sell me your old right fork guts and cap!

Also, does someone have a link to where I find instructions to make or other otherwise buy inexpensively a fork spring compressor tool assembly?

Inquiring minds need to know.

OK, I'm going to get 1.0 kg springs, play with the preload and add a bit of oil but how much oil, and do I really need to shave the preload spacer as Patton said? 
Also, does someone have a link to where I find instructions to make or other otherwise buy inexpensively a fork spring compressor tool assembly?
I'm not seeing where in this thread you posted your weight. Shaving the preload spacer was for another poster who was on the very light side of the scale. 
You can make a fork compressor tool with some 1/4" (?) all-thread and a chunk of wood. with a 50mm'ish hole in the middle. Do a Google Image search for "fork spring compressor wood"

Mine is new and stock settings, last Sunday we went for a long ride 2 up, I am 105kg gear-free and Mrs is 65kg, every bump we hit felt like riding over a brick. Any ideas? (Apart from leaving Mrs at home).

@andz , springs at both ends but especially the forks, try ~10cSt@40 fork oil in the right fork leg (no point changing out the left since it does absolutely nothing) and revalved/replaced shock. You're looking at minimum $100 (just the springs+oil) to $400 + installing the bits yourself. Add another 2 Benjamins and you'll have a new K-Tech Street shock all sprung to suit. Round up to $900 and you'll have a completely redone front-end.

There are a lot of ways to spend money on Suspension and Stoltec or myself will be happy to advise further. :)
Have you had a chance to dig thru this section of the Forum and also the vendor sections?

• Premium Member
@andz , springs at both ends but especially the forks, try ~10cSt@40 fork oil in the right fork leg (no point changing out the left since it does absolutely nothing) and revalved/replaced shock. You're looking at minimum $100 (just the springs+oil) to $400 + installing the bits yourself. Add another 2 Benjamins and you'll have a new K-Tech Street shock all sprung to suit. Round up to $900 and you'll have a completely redone front-end. 
There are a lot of ways to spend money on Suspension and Stoltec or myself will be happy to advise further. :)
Have you had a chance to dig thru this section of the Forum and also the vendor sections?
Matt, 
You recommended to me 16cSt@40C rather than 10?

You also suggested .90 springs.  I'm trying to loose weight (aren't most of us?) but currently I'm hovering at 230# dry + gear.  Would 1.0 springs conservatively be more apropos?

Have not broached with SWMBO* yet the subject of the expenditure of the discretionary functions required for your goods and services since currently there are none.  :(

*https://www.google.com/searchq=rumpole+of+the+bailey+she+who+must+be+obeyed&oq=rumpole+of+the+bailey+%22she+who+must+be+obeyed%22&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i22i30k1.35228.41764.0.43999.24.24.0.0.0.0.222.2897.0j18j3.21.0....0...1.1.64.serp..3.21.2879...0j0i67k1j0i22i10i30k1.JK32ymzHW7Y

16cSt for folks using my upgraded/modified internals or aftermarket cartridge kits as a general rule. ~10 seems to be the forum "consensus" on what to use for the OE single leg. At 230+15lbs I would not go any higher than 0.95kg/mm

• Premium Member
16cSt for folks using my upgraded/modified internals or aftermarket cartridge kits as a general rule. ~10 seems to be the forum "consensus" on what to use for the OE single leg. At 230+15lbs I would not go any higher than 0.95kg/mm
Thanks.  I'm getting closer.  I ordered the Universal Motorcycle Fork Spring Compressor Tool Kit By Traxxion Dynamics.  I was thinking of also buying the Motion Pro or Traxxion Dynamics fork bleeder assist tool but do not know the size thread for the OEM damper rods.  Do you know if its M10 x 1.0, M10 x 1.25, M12 x 1.0, M12 x 1.25, M14 x 1.0??  I was thinking of buying 1 liter each of the Torco RFF 7W which has a 16.1 cSt@40C & Vicosity Index of 285, and the Torco RFF 5W which has a 10.75 cSt@40C & V.I. of an even better 325.  I figure I can try the 7W at the cSt you recommended and then the 5W, or blend the two 50/50.  I presume 1L is enough.  They both are "only" $12.85 locally, which is a lot cheaper but not better than my normally preferred Silkolene Pro RSF 2.5 at 13.6 cSt@40C and an eye-popping V.I. of 465, which unfortunately keeps going up and now at $23.31 a liter!  The excellent Redline juice is even more dear at almost $30 for a liter. 
Next is to place my order with you but one step at a time...

Thanks again

Archived