Longest Days?

Some of these distance reports have led me to believe you lot are either quite awesome or quite insane.  

In any case, it's decided.  I'll be going from the bay area, CA to Eugene, OR and back this weekend.  That's 600-650 miles and 10-12 hours each way, depending on how far out of my way I go to enjoy good roads.  Riding Friday, enjoying Saturday, riding back Sunday.

Thanks for the confidence boost!

Some of these distance reports have led me to believe you lot are either quite awesome or quite insane.   

In any case, it's decided.  I'll be going from the bay area, CA to Eugene, OR and back this weekend.  That's 600-650 miles and 10-12 hours each way, depending on how far out of my way I go to enjoy good roads.  Riding Friday, enjoying Saturday, riding back Sunday.

Thanks for the confidence boost!
Be sure to bring your Vitamin I. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
My longest day on the FJ-09 was 1050 miles in 23.5 hours during last year's Cal24 Rally. That was almost entirely on twisty backroads.

My longest day ever was 1440 miles on a Triumph TT600 in just under 24 hours. That was during the 2005 Cal24 and also mostly on backroads.

I've also done 1000 mile days on a K100RS, R1100RT, and ST1100. The FJ is my favorite long distance mount, especially if the roads are interesting. If I was doing 1000 miles on a freeway I suppose the ST1100 or R1100RT would be a little better. Not much though.

Death Valley at sunrise to the top of Mt Evens for sunset, 900ish miles on the solstice back in 2012. Then on to Ft Collins for the night; I think might might have been just shy of 1,100 miles. That was on my Sprint ST. Last year I went the the CSC group to Baja on my 250cc RX3, did about 4,000 in 11 days. There where a couple 700ish mile days in the mix since I road from CO. I'll be flying to LA to pick up my FJ; I'll be riding home over two days so no huge mileage days but she will be throughly broken in by the time I get home!

I used to work in Sioux Lookout Ontario and my shift rotation was 17 days on followed by 12 day off so I used to head home to Scarborough Ontario which was 1782 klicks(1115 miles) straight through and did it in 22 hours on my BMW R60/5. I worked up there for 5 months and racked up some serious miles that summer. Sure wish I knew about the Iron Butt back then cause I could have had a few SS 1000's that summer. Now I won't push more than 800 klicks in a day cause the recovery takes to long.

Cheers

I used to work in Sioux Lookout Ontario and my shift rotation was 17 days on followed by 12 day off so I used to head home to Scarborough Ontario which was 1782 klicks(1115 miles) straight through and did it in 22 hours on my BMW R60/5. I worked up there for 5 months and racked up some serious miles that summer. Sure wish I knew about the Iron Butt back then cause I could have had a few SS 1000's that summer. Now I won't push more than 800 klicks in a day cause the recovery takes to long. 
Cheers

I visited Sioux Lookout a couple of times, on business (talk about peaceful). I am doing SS1000 next weekend, via Timmins and Chapleau.... your experience sounds encouraging.
I was young and much more tolerant to pain, not so much now. I had to attempt the SS1000 twice before I managed to pull it off. First time I tried it with a riding mate, bad call, he whined and moaned the whole time and we finally abandoned the attempt because he couldn't go on and their was no way I could have made up the time. My second attempt was solo on my KLR and I pulled it off with 2 hours to spare. Did it late September, mid week in order to avoid the tourists. 
Good luck with your attempt and be safe.

Cheers

My longest day was on my Fj-09. 1,082 miles, 23 hours. I completed a SaddleSore 1000 with 7 other people on April 1-2. I was super comfortable (even on the stock seat) until about 3ish hours from home. Then I started getting crabby.

Back in March I did 550 miles in 12 hours on my VFR750. Oakland, CA to Covina with the only real freeway being the beginning and end of the route. I'll be making a similar trip on the fj in a few days to meet up with Rocky in Ojai and spending the rest of the weekend on my new custom saddle.

When I'm doing the touring thing I usually try to get moving as early as possible and end near a brewery before the sun goes down. Those days are usually in the three to five hundred mile range avoiding slab as much as possible.

18 hours on my FJ, with a few short stops for a bite to eat, fuel and/or some hydration. Was the start of a trip with a strict time schedule and my friend and I had only had 2 hours sleep the night before leaving. Was pretty torturous was it was just highway the entire way. The next week was a lot nicer. long days too, approx 9-12 on average, but a lot more scenic and fun.

Archived