Longest Days?

Howdy folks,

What is the longest day, in miles or in hours, you have ever done via any motorcycle?  On the FJ?  What is the longest day you've done comfortably, or that you would recommend?  

Mine comes in at 600 miles in 9 hours (on a far less comfortable bike, Honda 599) and about 7 hours in I was practically screaming in my helmet from discomfort.

I'm trying to plan some long weekends and am wondering how far I can push the FJ.  I'll do some test days to see how I feel, and am curious what y'all have done.  

Thanks!

• Premium Member
I regularly ride around 6 to 7 hours on the FJ-09, and have no problems. Of course I have the Corbin seat, which helps......

I've never tried riding much further, but that's due more to my schedule than fear of the saddle.

Longest day(s) on Daytona 675, 550 miles or so. Many hours, maybe 8 or 9.

Also did a very long day on a Husky 610 once or twice. Closer to 350-400 with 30 miles of fire road.

'15 FJ09

Longest day: VStrom1000, 1349 miles in 22hrs.  Spokane, WA to Skull Valley, AZ via I15.  I intended to stop in Salt Lake for the night, but just kept on riding...  8-)

I've done a number of 1k mile days, but not so much over the last 5 years or so.

Probably ~700 on the FJ9.

• Supporting Member
Many years ago, in a shining example of youthful stupidity, I decided to ride the Texas Summer Solstice on my FJ1100. You leave the Texas/Louisiana border (exit 880 on I-10) at sunrise, with the goal of making it to the Texas/New Mexico border (exit 0) by sundown... 880 miles in a little over 15 hours, in 100+ degree heat. I missed the sundown cut-off by about 45 minutes, but still made the full 880 mile distance that day. And then had to turn around and ride home to Houston the next day... about 1,600 miles in 36 hours. Truthfully, other than having a great benchracing story, it was a miserable experience...

When I'm riding/touring for fun, daily mileage around 300 - 350 miles seems about right. I've had a couple 300+ mile days on the FJ09, and it's been very pleasant.

I have high hopes for the Sargent to top things off as far as ride comfort goes.

I love my Sargent seat. It's still a firm seat, but it does a much better job of distributing the pressure, thus much more comfortable than stock IMO.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

1066 miles from Northern Spain to Manchester UK on a Africa Twin, not planned i just lost track of what day it was and realised i had missed my ferry from Santander  to Portsmouth, and had to be back for work, it took over 24 hours maybe 26 or 27 can't exactly remember, but it was not a pleasurable journey, in fact by the time i got to the UK the last 300 miles were pure torture, 300 miles is enough riding in one day for me. 

• Premium Member
Small potatoes. Around 400 miles Fort Lauderdale Florida to Lake City Florida. On my HD XR1200 and the FJ. That was/is far enough for me.

Screenshot_19.png

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I'm finding three hundred miles with stops for fuel and food a day works for me. That's with a soft gel Corbin seat. My rule of thumb is a seat has to be comfortable up to a fill up of fuel at the very least. The stock seat IMHO never came close. HAving the right clothing for the trip and a comfortable helmet is a must. I never ride without ear plugs like pinrests.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

ON the FJ 09 I just finished a 607 mile day, with a 458 follow up day, for a 1065 mile weekend.  Usually I like to only do no more than 400 mile days on two lane roads.  I can do more if they are freeways, but find that you miss alot of great scenery.

My longest day was 840 miles, from Phillipsburg MT to Vancouver WA.  After an hour break at Pendelton, I finished the last 220m down the Gorge in the dark.  As you can see, I didn't do too much slab, and the  route I took was very demanding.  6am to 11pm.  I did that in 2009 on the FJR.

5298119.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I did 600 miles in 12 hours on my old R1 one time from Northeast Ohio to West Virginia and back, all on back roads. That was a fun, and exhausting day.

On the FJ, the longest I've done is from Nashville over to Deals Gap and back via the Cherohala Skyway - was about 450 miles in 8.5 hours. My knees started to hurt near the end from being in one position on the interstate, but overall it wasn't bad.

Archived