Sidestand pad vs enlarger

I've been using a Yamaha racing sidestand pad that I throw on the ground when parkign on hot tar or offroad. It works great, but it's always hard to get in place while still sitting on the bike and when trying to get it back. I though about drilling a hole and tieing a string to it to help get it back when mounting the bike, but that won't help putting it in place. I contimplating getting one of those sidestand enlargers instead. Are they more of a gimick or are they a good alternative?
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

• Premium Member
I installed an kickstand foot enlarger I got off of e-bay. I think I spent about twenty five bucks. Attaches with three bolts with Allen key heads. Works just fine. Here in Florida IMHO having a bigger footprint is essential especially in the heat.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I have one of these on my FJR and it does work well. Not gimmicky at all. The larger "footprint" does make a difference. I still need a plate for the HawkGT and now the FJ. Either work well on gravel also. The plate will always be best on soft ground or turf.

100_4511_zpsa9905a1c.jpg

• Premium Member
I am interested in a sidestand enlarger primarily to find out if it can trigger the left-turn sensors at intersections. Has anyone tried it successfully?
I find that some sensors can be tripped with the sidestand if you place it right on the ring cut in the asphalt, but not all of them. A bigger pad may help.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Not likely to work with induction loops (enlargers are mostly aluminum). Buy a couple of small but strong magnets and fix them to the steel parts on the bike. I have some on the exhaust.
The internet is almost literally on fire over this topic and my Physics is not good enough to understand the theory of magnets in frequency controlled induction loops. So......does it work @piotrek?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Jun 12, 2017 16:32:33 GMT -4 estell said:

I am interested in a sidestand enlarger primarily to find out if it can trigger the left-turn sensors at intersections. Has anyone tried it successfully?

What? There isn't an "app" for that? Damn It!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Givi part on mine and like it. The temps get pretty high here in Tucson and I don't want to come out to a kickstand sunk into the ground. I've had it on there for a year or so with no issues or regret.

The givi one is what I was leaning towards. Do you find it gets in the way when riding or have clearance issues when leaning over in the turns?

• Premium Member
This is what I am using. Kinda pricey, but it's a well made unit.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-sidestand-foot-enlarger-yamaha-fj-09-xsr900

swmotech_sidestand_foot_enlarger_yamaha_fj092015.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-sidestand-foot-enlarger-yamaha-fj-09-xsr900

Does it sit flat while on a hard surface? I've seen pictures of the tivi one that doesn't sit flat so it point loads the pad and makes it want to sink into hot pavement even worse

917020_WP20150929006.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm sure it works well but, as you said, yeow on the price 

When I was looking for it there wasn't a lot of choices. Pretty much no choices. Plus people are spending $200 for an unpainted beak... So each to their own.  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

Does it sit flat while on a hard surface? I've seen pictures of the tivi one that doesn't sit flat so it point loads the pad and makes it want to sink into hot pavement even worse 

917020_WP20150929006.jpg

Either that FJ is on some really uneven terrain or something is bent... :confused: bbbc3ff282e79e9f9f8d756376f479d2.jpg

Archived