Fitted new Seat Concepts Touring seat...

• Supporting Member

Just to add to this thread - I've ordered a Seat Concepts Sport Touring cover & foam today from a local distributor.  ETA about a month - should arrive just in time for spring, hopefully.

This is despite some of the negative reviews - but my reasons for wanting one are different - I've researched other options.

SC is the only one (aside from a custom seat, but that's WAY more $) that increases height, something I do want and would benefit from.  I'm 6', lanky, and inflexible.  I don't mind putting one foot down at a stop, in fact, that's how I was trained - so it's habit (come to rest in first gear with right foot on the peg, clutch in = ready for anything).

The other reason is a bit more ...personal.  When I first got the FJ, I found I was scooting my butt back a bit.  Some trial and error after several short and long rides later, I find that ergonomics are FAR better (hips and knees  - shoulders to a lesser extent) if I scoot forward as close as possible to the tank.  This works great for me, biomechanically, but...after about an hour, this mans berries get sooo bloody sore but somehow also numb (cue the obvious jokes) that it is beyond uncomfortable.  It's like a looong slooow kick to the nards that takes about an hour or more to notice.

So, I want a taller seat (check), a bit softer would be nice (check) and a flatter, more even profile close to the tank (check).

A friend got a Seat Concepts for his KTM and loves it.

Price / benefit ratio seems reasonable to me - when considering a custom seat, that is.

I opted to leave the pillion seat as-is - she owns more bikes than me, so I doubt I'd have many passengers, if any at all.

Edited by knyte
various typo's and grammar fixes
  • Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

49 minutes ago, knyte said:

This works great for me, biomechanically, but...after about an hour, this mans berries get sooo bloody sore but somehow also numb (cue the obvious jokes) that is is beyond uncomfortable.  It's like a looong slooow kick to the nards that takes about an hour or more to notice.

I literally LOL'D to that!🤣🤣

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, knyte said:

Just to add to this thread - I've ordered a Seat Concepts Sport Touring cover & foam today from a local distributor.  ETA about a month - should arrive just in time for spring, hopefully.

This is despite some of the negative reviews - but my reasons for wanting one are different - I've researched other options.

SC is the only one (aside from a custom seat, but that's WAY more $) that increases height, something I do want and would benefit from.  I'm 6', lanky, and inflexible.  I don't mind putting one foot down at a stop, in fact, that's how I was trained - so it's habit (come to rest in first gear with right foot on the peg, clutch in = ready for anything).

The other reason is a bit more ...personal.  When I first got the FJ, I found I was scooting my butt back a bit.  Some trial and error after several short and long rides later, I find that ergonomics are FAR better (hips and knees  - shoulders to a lesser extent) if I scoot forward as close as possible to the tank.  This works great for me, biomechanically, but...after about an hour, this mans berries get sooo bloody sore but somehow also numb (cue the obvious jokes) that is is beyond uncomfortable.  It's like a looong slooow kick to the nards that takes about an hour or more to notice.

So, I want a taller seat (check), a bit softer would be nice (check) and a flatter, more even profile close to the tank (check).

A friend got a Seat Concepts for his KTM and loves it.

Price / benefit ratio seems reasonable to me - when considering a custom seat, that is.

I opted to leave the pillion seat as-is - she owns more bikes than me, so I doubt I'd have many passengers, if any at all.

Let us know how you like it. I've been considering one. I'm about 20 minutes away from them. They make them as you order, so the only advantages to being local are shipping costs and they'll install for 25.00 per seat. Price is right.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Price is right.

Exactly - it's about overall value (for me).  Seems to tick all the boxes, including the price.  It works out to just under $300 CAD all in, but that's still far cheaper than a custom seat, which can run $500 easily.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

58 minutes ago, knyte said:

Exactly - it's about overall value (for me).  Seems to tick all the boxes, including the price.  It works out to just under $300 CAD all in, but that's still far cheaper than a custom seat, which can run $500 easily.

I'm definitely curious how it all turns out too.  Likewise, I'm reluctant to get into custom seat territory as it very quickly becomes *extremely* spendy, particularly as most are not Canadian - Once you're dealing with American vendors, the exchange and stupid shipping rates push prices through the roof. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I literally LOL'D to that!🤣🤣

The struggle is real hahaha!

I have Seat Concepts kits on my V-Strom and my KLR650, and they've been fantastic. Hard to believe that the FJ-09 version is such a disaster. I'm actually doing fine with the stock seat so far, but my longest day to date has only been about 200 miles, and the longest uninterrupted stint in the saddle was about 130 miles.

Then again, every arse is different.

And If there's one thing I've learned over riding and owning several different bikes and participating in the related internet forums, it's that I must have a more adaptable bum than most. Or maybe I'm just not that picky.

Seat Concepts' customer support is... well, it is what it is. I once asked about a replacement seat cover for my V-Strom's seat, because I accidentally tore the vinyl with a boot buckle. For whatever reason, they replied that seat covers were not available and that my only option would be a whole new kit. Ooooooookaaaaayyyy...? So I used a vinyl repair kit and made a strong but sort of weird looking repair.

I guess they must be succeeding; they've been perpetually weeks or months behind for years, so I have to presume limited capacity and little to no support is just part of their business model. If you can keep the doors open in the US by selling entirely subjective motorsports accessories to the pickiest, cheapest, and whiniest population on the planet (US motorcycle riders), then you're doing something right, and in many ways it's really not my place to judge.

If they offered any handholding at all or a "comfort guarantee" if your buns didn't like the seat, then they'd have to charge more to cover all those free seats and shipping. A lot more. So overall, I'm understanding of their general "tough beans" stance.

Still doesn't make sense to not sell new covers separately; seems like an easy way to make a few extra bucks, but hey, I don't run a seat shop. Maybe these things are harder to make than I realize.

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/3/2021 at 5:49 AM, bwringer said:

Still doesn't make sense to not sell new covers separately; seems like an easy way to make a few extra bucks, but hey, I don't run a seat shop. Maybe these things are harder to make than I realize.

It's pretty shocking, really.  I mean, if a seat manufacturer wouldn't sell me a replacement cover (given I've already bought one of their seats) I:

A. Would absolutely not buy a whole new seat when rando upholstery shops will recover a seat for like $100 in whatever materials/stitching you want.  I've had more than one seat re-covered in my day, and it's damn easy for these shops particularly when they have the existing cover they can copy exactly.

B. Never, ever buy a seat from that crappy company again.  Seats are expensive, and when I buy something like that, I *expect* reasonable support for the manufacturer.  Not a free replacement cover, of course, but at least sell a guy one.  

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Ordered my Seat Concepts touring seat in early March - just chatted with my local distributor who tells me SC is having a bit of trouble with material suppliers - so it's still at least a week away.

Edited by knyte
wrong month

• Premium Member
On 4/14/2021 at 1:23 PM, knyte said:

Ordered my Seat Concepts touring seat in early March - just chatted with my local distributor who tells me SC is having a bit of trouble with material suppliers - so it's still at least a week away.

I was looking to get one a few months ago. They were about 30 days out. I passed. I still want one. Now they say 8 to 10 weeks. I'm 10 miles away from them. 

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

they say 8 to 10 weeks

wow, brutal...makes me glad I got my order in when I did!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

It arrived last Friday, but I was only able to take it to a shop today for installation.  Ordinarily I'd just DIY, but when it comes to, oh, finished materials and 3M contact cement...I don't trust myself to prevent a) gooey fingerprints all over the place b) creases c) wrinkles d) tear in the fabric e) wrong staplegun on hand.

Should be a quick job.

When I picked it up, the guy said - geeze, you're lucky, that only took 38 days - current orders are around 4 months out.  So, that backs up what you heard, too.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Thanks to Wordsmith's original post and thoughts, I finally got my Seat Concepts Sport Touring installed and a first several-hour ride was last night.

First impressions:

LOVE the extra height.  I'm about a 34" inseam, maybe a bit more.  The extra 1/2" goes a looong way for me.  I feel a bit taller in the saddle, so to speak, which somehow adds a bit of confidence.  It's probably psychosomatic, but everything felt better - access to the levers and controls; even the handlebar felt better.

The flatter profile is also exactly what I was after.  We rode from Edmonton to Elk Island Nat'l park, with the idea of coming out at the north end and looping back to Edmonton via Ft Saskatchewan.  However, we stopped in the park for a drink and a stretch, and my ride partner then realized one of the lids for her aluminum panniers blew off somewhere.  So, we backtracked and spent the better part of about two hours looking for it (found!).  There were some very technical parts to this search, and - long story short - no more numb nutz for this cowboy.  It felt like I could ride all day without any issue whatsoever.

As others have noted, the cover is far more sticky than the stock material.  Not a big deal, just something to be aware of and be ready for should one have to put a foot down on uneven ground - could be a bit harder to slide a cheek over if you're not ready for it.  I ride with Klim riding jeans, or rain pants over them, so either material would have a bit more friction.

The one unexpected part was how the rear part of the foam creates a sort of 'cup' for your cheeks.  As @wordsmith noted, "quite deeply ‘dished’".  This isn't a huge deal, but is notable.  I could feel the 'lip' of the cup/depression on the back of my thighs - if the foam were any harder this could be uncomfortable and could even make a leg fall asleep.  I'm hoping it'll break down a bit over time and become less pronounced, but again - hardly a showstopper.  A very minor inconvenience and I have zero regrets.  A small piece of sheepskin would fill the depression perfectly, I'm sure.  It's a bit hard to see in the photos.

20210601_184919.jpg

20210601_184910.jpg

20210601_184924.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1