That's why we don't lane split in Oklahoma

Technically its illegal in Oklahoma and I've never seen anybody do it until yesterday and I'm glad its against the law here. I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic after work yesterday and when the light turned green traffic started to move. As we got rolling about 30MPH all of the sudden a Sportbiker flew past me between me and the car next to me on my left, after he passed me and 5 or 6 more cars and he changed lanes into a tiny opening in front of a car and all of the sudden the traffic in front of him came to a panic stop. I thought the car he cut in front of was going to splatter him but he managed to stop, but the car behind him rear ended   that car. The Sportbiker looked back at the wreck he helped cause and he started lane splitting again and got out of there. What a fool, lady luck or the motorcycle gods were looking out for him that day. I know that's not the real way you are supposed to lane split, but I think its better that its against the law here anyway.

Just because one a-hole did it wrong doesn't mean it is a bad practice. Lane split is legal in CA and in Europe for a good reason. When done properly it is a safe practice in fact safer than became a roast beef sandwich between the bumpers of two cars in stop and go traffic.

Also I am dismayed that a motorcycle rider out of all people is against it. I know the New England drivers would be pissing all over themselves when they see a rider filtering through the traffic simply because they aren't able to.

Don't be dismayed, I was only saying that in jest because that fool almost got himself killed and caused a wreck. It wouldn't bother me if it was legal really, even though I try to stay out of traffic that will make me a roast beef sandwich.

• Premium Member
The rule should be, and in some places already is, if the cop thinks you are driving dangerously, h/she can give you a ticket. Nothing else required!

• Premium Member
Filtering on surface arterial streets, especially in an urban environment is one type of "splitting" but it's real benefit for longer distance commuting is on limited access highways.

When I lived in San Francisco in the early 1970s and being one of two office go-fors with a motorcycle (a 61 BSA Goldstar in a Rickman-Matisse frame), filtering and splitting was a way of life and expected.

I'm a firm believer it is safer even when indigent Cagers purposely try to kill you because they're jealous.

• Premium Member
Lane splitting done properly is fine with me. Doing it improperly just like any other improper maneuver is just taking chances. Tons of you tube videos of guys screwing up doing lane splitting aggressively. Tons of videos showing guys smacking off car mirrors. Ride like a crazy person and up your odds of getting hurt...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
I'm fine with safe lane splitting and filtering as well. I also think that there needs to be a much more structured licensing and renewal process and better driver/motorcycling training. I don't like the tiered license system other countries have, but you really should need a better standard for minimum skills than what's currently tested.

On top of that, the MSF course material is starting to show its age. It's a great program and I won't argue the great benefits of attending one, but it's so very minimal.

I do even though it illegal here in NY, I can't help myself. I just can't see pulling the clutch in and out for hours on end. But I do go real slow, slow enough where I can stop on a dime, I'm pretty good in the shoulders too

• Premium Member
Me and my thousand friends manage to lane share every dang day on the 405 into Los Angeles without incident. Because we know what we're doing. Every so often some jackass will attempt to join us and completely screw it up. Nobody likes those people.

Chadman http://www.twistypedia.com
The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

thats not lane splitting. Thats being an aggressive squid asking to get hurt. Lane splitting is a clearly defined action involving highways and speeds not in excess of 10 MPH over the lanes and never over the speed limit posted.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Saw a kid splitting lanes in Tulsa on Saturday on a supermoto. Can't say I blame him as it was like 2000 degrees out. He did it fine, he eased up between a double line of about 10 cars each. All of us were stopped at a light which turned green about the time he got to the front and he just rode on. No big deal in my mind.

I have to admit, I lane split whenever I can here in the Boise area.

Only have had a few horn honks and folks telling me they think I'm number one with hand gestures... ;)

In the few hours of stop and go traffic we have here, it's the only way to deal with the heat, and idiots in traffic. I'm willing to risk a ticket v/s being smashed between two giant trucks, minivans or whatever the driver is navigating while sipping their hot coffee, texting and/or talking to whoever they think is much more important than actually giving one damn about driving.

I don't go much more than about 5 to 10mph faster than stopped traffic, I cover the clutch and brake constantly, and watch mirrors for glances, and lane control on various vehicles I'm about to pass.

Often, you have to stop/slow, and let the foolish prick in the lane show you how much they can bob and weave, and then you just find another path and pass them anyway. (thanks for playing douchebag, but no thanks for a rematch.)

I got a dirty look from a guy on a HD a few days back.... Then he just pulled out and did the very same thing. Hope he found out how much better it is than just sitting there in the heat off the engine cooking your gonads.

I ride and watch for an exit route constantly. I always figure the idiot around me can't see me, so I have to avoid them all. Shoulders, lane splitting or better yet, moving ahead is the best option usually v/s trying to stop. (Then you get run over, and that's no fun.) If you plan your lane split for the current set of vehicles, and the next two or three sets as well, you are not going to be surprised when the one that's changed lanes twice already does it again. But you have to keep an eye on the close cars/trucks too, since NOBODY can see me out there right?

I figure they are all blind, or worse, angry at me, and want to run me over. LOL

Best place for blind angry folks is BEHIND ME. Way, way back there. LOL

Archived