That's why we don't lane split in Oklahoma

• Premium Member
I have to admit, I lane split  
I don't go much more than about 5 mph faster than stopped traffic, I cover the clutch and brake constantly, and watch mirrors for glances, and lane control on various vehicles I'm about to pass.

I figure they are all blind, or worse, angry at me, and want to run me over. LOL

Best place for blind angry folks is BEHIND ME. Way, way back there. LOL
Bingo. :)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Yall need to become 3rd shifters... way less heat, way less traffic, hardly a working stoplight since majority are flashing yellow and the occasional firefly bug (the big ones) hitting your face shield leaving a glow for 10-12secs ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
The rule should be, and in some places already is, if the cop thinks you are driving dangerously, h/she can give you a ticket. Nothing else required!
That sounds okay until you run into a cop who just hates motorcycles. I once got a ticket for 60-in-a-55 on an empty freeway on a sunny day from a cop who felt it necessary to lecture me on the dangers of motorcycles which "wouldn't be allowed" if it were up to him.

I agree with Piotrek, our current laws and attitudes do not create a safe environment for lane splitting.  If and when it is incorporated into our laws and society then I would be all for it.  I've often wondered in places where it is accepted why they don't allow bikers to use the shoulders as compared to driving between cars.  Same results only safer IMHO. 
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
I agree with Piotrek, our current laws and attitudes do not create a safe environment for lane splitting.  If and when it is incorporated into our laws and society then I would be all for it.  I've often wondered in places where it is accepted why they don't allow bikers to use the shoulders as compared to driving between cars.  Same results only safer IMHO. 
All of my riding experience has been in CA and involved many miles of navigating bad commute city/hwy traffic.  I have always split lanes but always avoided using the shoulder for a couple of reasons: All road debris collects on the shoulders - not the best place to ride for any length of time... and drivers tend not to look right when they pull over to the shoulder because they don't expect anyone to be there.

My only motorcycling accident involving a vehicle was when I passed them on the right - and they turned right, so I personally try to avoid that now. x_x

I am extremely in favor of lane splitting when done properly. I do it illegally almost daily in the Kansas City area. One in 10 times I get someone honk at me. Usually the honk is after I've passed somewhere behind me, as they look up from their cell phone and realize I'm cutting in line and they don't like it. Typically I'm not even sure which car honked. I just keep going along, splitting in a safe manner until traffic resumes a speed high enough to make splitting too dangerous. I ride an FJR, which is not the narrowist of bikes, and I have plenty of room to split on the wide highways around here in the mid-west.

I am extremely in favor of lane splitting when done properly. I do it illegally almost daily in the Kansas City area. One in 10 times I get someone honk at me. Usually the honk is after I've passed somewhere behind me, as they look up from their cell phone and realize I'm cutting in line and they don't like it. Typically I'm not even sure which car honked. I just keep going along, splitting in a safe manner until traffic resumes a speed high enough to make splitting too dangerous. I ride an FJR, which is not the narrowist of bikes, and I have plenty of room to split on the wide highways around here in the mid-west.
As a recent CA transplant to Rolla MO, I'm entirely terrified of lane sharing here. Terrified of getting doored or run over. In CA, where the populus is more used to it, there are still frequent road rage incidents that either take the life of the rider or seriously endanger it. I have a friend who specifically got his CCW after being pinched off between the K-rail and a car then chased with a tire iron. He did escape unharmed, but was unable to report the incident because he didn't get license # or anything useful.

'15 FJ09

As a recent CA transplant to Rolla MO, I'm entirely terrified of lane sharing here. Terrified of getting doored or run over. In CA, where the populus is more used to it, there are still frequent road rage incidents that either take the life of the rider or seriously endanger it. I have a friend who specifically got his CCW after being pinched off between the K-rail and a car then chased with a tire iron. He did escape unharmed, but was unable to report the incident because he didn't get license # or anything useful.
You've got to use good judgement always, and especially doing it in an area where it is either against the law or a grey area. There are times I see people ahead of me specifically try to block off my path, and I just stay far away from those people. On the other hand, I've been right next to someone stopped at a red light who got rear ended hard enough to push his car into the truck in front of him all because one driver was not paying attention that the light was red and traffic was stopped.  
Lane splitting is not a requirement, of course. Its just a tool in the tool box that should be there in reserve for times when it is appropriate. Lane splitting will never be as safe as it could be until it becomes across the country and drivers are properly educated. It will take a long time for that to happen. But that's why I always try to discuss its merits with car drivers who likely don't understand it. The more we talk about it, the more drivers we can educate, the safer and less congested our roads will be.

Yea man what works in one state may not work in another. In NYC its not legal but it might as well be b/c that's all bikers do and to be honest woth you if think it's best they do it I feel like it gets the biker out of harms way when done safely and at lower speeds.

Archived