• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

(SOLVED) Vibrations after 8,000 kms maintenance

alquimista

I took my 8,000 kms fj-09 to service at Yamaha dealer. Changed oil (Yamalub semi-synthetic), iridium spark plugs. Chain was adjusted. Results... the bike has now vibrations starting at 5,000 rpms... this did not happen before service. The technical guy at the Yamaha shop does not know what can it be; any ideas?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was the drive chain adjusted too tight? 
I do experience some vibes in the footpegs around that rpm range, most say it is common.
Maybe that is the reason.... I'm 120 kgs, so "normal" tight should be adjusted.... They'll replace the semi-synthetic oil with pure synthetic tomorrow, and check if it improves. 

Guest kernowjim
I've always had an engine 'buzz' from 5000rpm upwards - as far as I know it's a characteristic of the 3 cylinder engine being bolted directly to the frame and no rubber mountings.  Are you sure it wasn't there before?   

I've always had an engine 'buzz' from 5000rpm upwards - as far as I know it's a characteristic of the 3 cylinder engine being bolted directly to the frame and no rubber mountings.  Are you sure it wasn't there before?   

Before I could barely notice. Now is evident, after the maintenance changes. Don't know what released the vibration now. I was wondering if the iridium spark plugs can produce it, as the spark (and hence the explosion) is stronger. Or maybe the chain tension adjusted.

Guest kernowjim
Before I could barely notice. Now is evident, after the maintenance changes. Don't know what released the vibration now. I was wondering if the iridium spark plugs can produce it, as the spark (and hence the explosion) is stronger. Or maybe the chain tension adjusted.
It's highly unlikely that would affect it, if anything a more efficient combustion (if the claims about iridium plugs are actually true) would result in a smoother engine.  It is most likely to be the chain, if it's too tight.  The Yamaha spec of 5mm to 15mm free play is extremely tight, most of us have a 25mm (1") free play at the loosest point of the chain.  As I said earlier, mine buzzes from 5000rpm upwards and particularly at 6000rpm - I presume it's normal as it's done that from new.  I will get it checked out at the service next Saturday and I'll try and get a ride on the demonstrator bike to see if that does the same thing.

Tight Chain slack and loose handguards can cause more vibrations...just had my chain at 1.5in slack after I did a front sprocket change and noticed hardly any vibrations- now I'm trying the slack at 1in...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
Problem practically solved. Yamaha dealer replaced for free, the semy synthetic oil, by full synthetic. Motor came back to its original softness. ?
I should have read the fine print on my jugs of Yamalube semi-synthetic 10w-50, "formulated with vibration enhancing technology, most notable above 5,000 rpm".  I'll bet those Harley guys love this stuff!   ;) 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

After taking the bike on a 250kms ride yesterday, I found something interesting: even when the synthetic oil diminished vibrations,demanding almost full throttle at 4th or 5th gear, it's still there. You can feel it in the right foot and on the seat. The finding is, that the more you go to sea level, the more the vibrations. That is, the more oxígen and atmospheric pressure, the stronger is the combustion explosion. The iridium sparkplug is stronger than the regular... So I'm suspecting the cause maybe the iridiums. At the 12,000 kms service, I'll experiment changing to regular plugs... And confirm... We will see. By know, I'll try to get used to vibrations. If I could manage 4 years of a tenere xt660z mono cylinder vibes, I can survive these now

• 2 weeks later...
Took the bike to another Yamaha shop... with more specialized technicians. Re-adjusted the chain, replaced the Iridum plugs, back to normal NGK for the bike... Vibrations are still there. Here the point is that there is a "before" and "after" the 8,000 kms service... They tell me that nothing that was manually done by the previous technician in that service (oil, chain, plugs) could have resulted in these vibrations; the new hypothesis is, a clutch problem... that may have been disguised by the previous, dirty oil... and now came out with the new oil. An additional tip, is that in recent long trips, when the bike is hot, it is difficult to change gear... (from upper gears, to lower gears), and you have to release a bit the clutch to get the gear in.

I bought this bike at 5,000 kms… and was smooth; 8,000 kms service, now vibrations. Part of the hypotheses is that the previous owner had not very good driving practices, and clutch was affected. This high power motor could affect clutch, if gear changes where not done properly (etc.). So, next appointment will be to review the clutch body.

Its not a nice experience.. to have a good bike that was working just smooth and perfect, and out of the blue, after a “harmless” due service, now this non-normal situation. Not critical it seems, but it just feels odd (the vibration) when driving specially when demanding power, at more than 4,500 rpms… more felt in the right foot peg, and propagates to the seat and hand bars.

Feedback is wellcome

Guest kernowjim
mine is the same, it's 10 weeks old with 1200 miles on the clock.  I am at sea level and of course everything is new, so full power likely.  I took mine to the dealer, took out their demonstrator and that was the same as mine.  They say that there are variables in engineering and not all bikes are the same, of course this is true and they said there is nothing physically wrong with my bike.  I understand your frustration though after having a smooth bike for it then to go rough.  Could it be throttle body synchronization?  Although as I understand it, that only affects low RPM riding. 

did the dealership add gas to your tank?
did the airfilter get replaced?
did the tech overfill with oil?

even with my reflashed ECU and aftermarket exhaust I feel the engine getting stronger/more lively feeling after 4.5-5k rpms- to me its the nature of the beast 

I noticed a reduction in vibrations after getting rid of the OEM front sprocket for a plain jane after market one with out the " noise damping rubber thingmajiggy"
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived