(SOLVED) Vibrations after 8,000 kms maintenance

alquimista

mine is the same, it's 10 weeks old with 1200 miles on the clock.  I am at sea level and of course everything is new, so full power likely.  I took mine to the dealer, took out their demonstrator and that was the same as mine.  They say that there are variables in engineering and not all bikes are the same, of course this is true and they said there is nothing physically wrong with my bike.  I understand your frustration though after having a smooth bike for it then to go rough.  Could it be throttle body synchronization?  Although as I understand it, that only affects low RPM riding. 
Hi, No throttle body synchronization was done; wonder if it has to be done when spark plugs are changed?

They say that there are variables in engineering and not all bikes are the same,  Yep, makes sense... the odd thing in my case is, that the vibration came after the service. And the second Yamaha dealer that reviewd it, mentioned that he is used to service another FJ-09 2015, and an FZ09, and there are no vibration there, as now felt in mine.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did the dealership add gas to your tank? did the airfilter get replaced?
did the tech overfill with oil?

even with my reflashed ECU and aftermarket exhaust I feel the engine getting stronger/more lively feeling after 4.5-5k rpms- to me its the nature of the beast 

I noticed a reduction in vibrations after getting rid of the OEM front sprocket for a plain jane after market one with out the " noise damping rubber thingmajiggy"
did the dealership add gas to your tank? Nop
did the airfilter get replaced? Nop, just cleaned
did the tech overfill with oil? Its at the right level

Guest kernowjim
@norcal616 at what point in the rev range did you notice a reduction in vibes after the front sprocket swap out?  I've been thinking of going up one tooth on mine and if a solid steel sprocket also reduces the vibes then that's a bonus

@norcal616 at what point in the rev range did you notice a reduction in vibes after the front sprocket swap out?  I've been thinking of going up one tooth on mine and if a solid steel sprocket also reduces the vibes then that's a bonus
Across the whole rev range- I dunno about how noisy it tho ? 
I dunno if going up 1T will fit under the chain guides/case savers under the sprocket cover

I went 1T down and it's just about right- only lost 2mpg 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

@norcal616 I can imagine a smaller front sprocket would make the bike even livelier than it is already! 
its in the Goldilocks Zone...just right... in all seriousness the FJ-09 has a top speed of 150mph plus, its a bit slow eh ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 1 month later...
The switch in oil type shouldn't have an effect on engine vibration.

Ohhh, yes it does, at least in mine. Have played with 4 types of oil. The 3 yamahalub (mineral, semy synthetic, full synthetic) and now, Honda mineral. Each of these 4, different operation; it can be perceived. It happens in this bike, and on a tenere xt660z I had.

• Premium Member
The only time I've noticed a difference related to any mineral, semi, or syn oil type is when its still cold verses being at the normal running temp.
Unlikely it's oil related.

Maybe something wasn't properly tightened and is causing added vibration. check over your fuel tank bolts etc. maybe something is still loose?

have you found the solution or is it still vibrating?
Well, yes, I found the problem cause, and the solution. As some of you in this thread mentioned (including you kernowjim), it was the chain tension. 1) On a 700 kms  vacations trip, and after running the bike at up to 175 kms/hr in some parts of the route... I noticed a bit of an improvement. And, as a matter of fact, vibrations where still there, yet not as noticeable as when the service was done (3,000 kms ago). I kept thinking what can be changing slowly after the service, that is reducing bit by bit vibrations... Well, it may be several things, yet one of them is chain tension loosens progressively after the use the bike… I though
2) 3 things where changed during the service: spark plugs, oil, and chain tension. After the problem, I changed spark plugs again, tested 4 different types of oil... Only left thing to test, was chain. I do perfectly recall, how just before the service, I saw the chain loose, not stretch, and was a hanging a bit ! On all these tests and several rides to 2 different Yamaha shops, technicians seemed to be Ok and fine whit the tension applied on the initial service: WRONG !!!

The manual indicates a short free play space; today, coming back from the vacations trip to the beach, and passing by a Yamaha shop, I asked to modify chain tension, now, with me on the bike(I'm 1.91 mts, 120 kgs). I asked them to leave around 1.5 inches of free play, they were somehow reluctant; they did it ...And yes!! that was the original issue in my case. The technicians that serviced the bike at 8,000 kms (and on the subsequent reviews of the vibration by other Yamaha technitians) never adjusted chain tension with me on the bike, and they followed manual recommendation on tension; that manual specification is indeed too tight for a rider like me (and maybe, in general?). I read on this forum a couple of comments, people recommending not following the manual specification on this particular point.

With 1,5 inches, the bike is now back now to normal as it was before the first service; its soft in modes B and STD; instead of feeling the vibration on the seat and right footpeg as before, you just feel it soft and, to be honest, I started to fully enjoy again the speed and power of this bike... with smooth opertation.  In "A" mode I perceived a bit the vibrations... but after this chain re-adjustment, I can take it, and know I feel peace of mind that it was a simple chain adjustment.

So, to you kernowjim and any one in the forum with the vibrations issue, I'd recommend to adjust the chain as per you weight, being you on the bike, having a free play of 1, 1.5 inches... and see if it works for you.

IMG_20171011_122352.jpg

I agree that the Yamaha chain tension spec is too tight, but the slack should be set with the bike on the center stand, not with someone sitting on it. 1-1.5 inches is okay, but is not necessarily okay when you're sitting on it. Otherwise you could go over a bump, your wait comes up off the bike as it rebounds and then you have way too much slack in your chain and it could come off the sprocket.

Guest kernowjim
@alquimista  Thanks for that, I suspected chain tension as the Yamaha spec is notoriously tight.  I run about an inch of play whilst sitting on the bike - I still get vibration from 6000rpm upwards and at full throttle but I suspect that is a characteristic - tested an MT-10 (FZ-10) and that did the same thing.

Guest kernowjim
Change the front sprocket out for an aftermarket one w/o the rubber noise damping thingy...
I have still yet to do that! Got the sprocket but the Yamaha nut costs more than the sprocket...

Archived