170/60/70 rear tire?

I've only got one question; why? The stock rear tire size has got to be about the most common on the planet, you can get them everywhere. This means good deals if you look if that's the issue. No good things come from changing tire sizes.

no deal, just, 180 for 115hp seems oversize to me when you just consider touring. On internet there was a positive comment on a MT-07 owner that changed to 170 iso 180. bike handling improved according to that person.

• Premium Member
no deal, just, 180 for 115hp seems oversize to me when you just consider touring. On internet there was a positive comment on a MT-07 owner that changed to 170 iso 180. bike handling improved according to that person. 

Well if it's on the internet it I guess you can't argue with that, dude may even be a tire expert  ???
BLB

• Premium Member
On internet there was a positive comment on a MT-07 owner that changed to 170 iso 180. bike handling improved according to that person. 

In what way did handling improve? I suppose it would quicken steering a bit, but the FJ isn't exactly a heavy steerer to begin with.

How are tire width, horsepower, and handling linked exactly? I didn't realize there is a linear chart for this. Yamaha should hire an engineer to look into this. I'm kinda surprised they don't employ any already. Maybe they just check the internet.

The 170/60 is taller. The FZ07 benefits from putting more weight on the front. Personally neither of the FZ07/09 have any business running a 180 tire but alas 170's are damn hard to find. The 07 has it because "180 is phat" and they went for looks though it should have come with a 160.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a 170 on the FZ/FJ09 rim. Just that your selection is very limited and price often $30 higher if you can even find them. And yes, the center of the tire will wear faster since the contact patch is skinnier/longer.

There are two very good reasons to use a 180 on the 09. First everyone is using 180's these days and people would go nuts if a 160 came on the bike. The internet would explode calling yamaha crazy and buyers may rethink a bike purchase that comes with tires found on sub 700cc bikes. Also becoming the standard size for sport and sport touring bikes every tire manufacturer has a full line up of 180 tires.

@crempel: well that was kind of the question right? I would be interested to hear your math model that you are indicating to.
just as a side note, i have the impression that looks and 'wow' factor take precedence to practice that was common 10y ago.

@pattonme, thanks for the pointing that out, i guess, indeed, wear would increase a bit.

I expect the 160/60/17 is not much longer for this world. Once the SV650 and Ninja 650 die out There'll be a 150 and then a jump to 180. My 530lb '96 Triumph Trident with 100HP used a 160/60/18 and was plenty of tire to match the output. OEMs are all gravitating to 180 because of selection and keeping SKU count down.

Here's a link to an on-line calculator that shows the difference. 5MM diameter or 2 1/2mm raised ride height. What the calculator does not take show is the effect of a narrower tire mounted on a wider rim.

Instead of raising the rear, you could get a similar change by raising the forks in the triple clamps. My experience is a 1mm raise in the rear has a greater change in handling than a 1mm drop in the front.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=170-60r17-180-55r17

5.5 inch wide rim is the max width for a 170/60 tire, but a 180/55 can go up to a 6" rim

I know several FZ1 riders went from the OEM 190/50 rear tire to a 180/55 for quicker handling.

Archived